How did you get from the airport when you arrived?

Jlew

Possibly a bit of a daft question, but getting some of our plans in place (loosely) for the move. Our plan is to hire a car for the first couple of weeks until we buy one, and intended to pick it up at the airport. 4 of us travelling and we'll no doubt be maxing our baggage allowance. Don't want to get too big a car, so just wondering how people have done it? Taxi to the short term accommodation then picked car up, jammed the cases into the car and gone with it, or something else?

Just a case of hiring a big enough car for all the suitcases? Probably cheaper to go bigger and pay slightly more rental cost than to get a taxi. Also, I expect its no different to arriving on holiday with 4 adult suitcases. I think im Thinking too much about the small things...

Guest BrisbaneBevan

Car rentals from the Airport (pick up and drop off) have a surcharge and are more expensive. It may be cheaper to jump on a train into the CBD. Which airport are you landing in? Brisbane has a AirTrain easy to catch into the metro, and Sydney is the same. I would do what #5 says, and pick up a car in the days after you've recovered from the trip. Loads of pick up from Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz etc.

My advice would be to make life easy on yourself and hire a vehicle at the airport, that's large enough for everyone and their luggage, for a few weeks. You can always drop it back early and save money if you buy a car within that time. I wouldn't want to muck around with public transport, maxed out luggage and jet lag, to only have to worry about renting a car the following day.

Archived