SOL Update July 2014- Possible Dilemma (Accountant)

Shayman

Greetings All,

I have wanted to apply for a permanent Aussie visa since I returned from a years working holiday there 3.5 years ago, since when I have worked in a graduate finance position training to be an accountant in the UK. I am about to sit my final exam and expect to (fingers crossed) be classified as fully chartered through CIMA sometime in April.

I have heard rumblings that the profession may be getting removed from the SOL from July 2014, which leads me to wander which of the following options would be the best for someone in my situation:

1) Apply for skills assessment as soon as I get my accountancy letters through (in April) and, assuming this all goes through OK, head straight onto a full permanent visa application (probably in May?)

2) Wait until after July to check the profession is still on the SOL and applying afterwards instead

I'm guessing my main question is whether an application lodged before 1st July would be affected if they subsequently took my nominated profession off the list?

In an ideal world I'd relax and take my time over the whole process a bit longer, however this news makes me feel like I might be facing a race against time!

Hi Shayman,

I'm in the same boat as you, sat T4 Part B, CIMA Exam on Tuesday right?

So your waiting for your results on 21st March, and feedback on your submisssion of your PER? (professional experience record for others reading this)

Once you have these, you will need to get your qualifications certified / approved by CPA right? I assume you need to do that prior to submitting a EOI? This can take up to 12 weeks for CPA to feedback. On that note, please tell me you didn't take any exemptions from your exams? If so, you may have gaps.

You will also need to have taken the IELTS academic English test, scoring 8 or more across the board, you need the certificate number from this test to complete the EOI, its one of the first questions.

In regards to accountancy being removed, the article which prompted this was based on a few students university script, nothing to do with government or immigration. If you visit the CIMA website, you will also see a CIMA article which states the demand for accountants is ever increasing, rather than reducing - with some companies now offering to pay relocation and visa costs for the right candidates. This doesn't sound like a profession that is going to be coming off the SOL anytime soon.

Good Luck with your exams - and your visa application, whenever you place it.

Ben

Archived