Where to live....

Kooky

Me and my husband are in the process of getting our visa and are starting to try and make plans. We have a problem though in choosing an area. I like the idea of Adelaide as it is small and everywhere is not too far from anywhere else etc (and my friend lives there which is a bonus as she has children of a similar age to ours). My husband however wants to be near mountains (I don't particularly as it tends to be colder!).

Can anyone recommend an area/state. Is there a place where we would be roughly 20/30 minutes away from the beach and the mountains. Needs to be near to decent schools. I'd like an 'arty' or cultural area if possible. My husband is a musician so a good music scene would be great. We don't need particularly good nightlife but do like theatre and eating out.

Any suggestions?

There are places in Adelaide that are close to the hills and not too far away from the beach. Somewhere like Highbury for instance is in the foothills but you can drive down a main road to the beach in about 30 minutes. We are also right in the foothills but it takes us much longer to get to the beach because we have to go through, or around, the city, adding 20 minutes to the journey. Not sure you could really call the hills mountains though. I think I read on another thread that your OH likes hiking? There are plenty of places to do that around here. We live a 2 minute walk from Morialta conservation park (http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/parks/Find_a_Park/Browse_by_region/Adelaide_Hills/Morialta_Conservation_Park) which has a number of walking routes, some of which are marked as hard and require proper gear. Plenty of other similar places around the hills as well.

The thing is to live near the mountains you have to live in the country areas and that is the same in any State that has mountains. The Dandenongs are very nice to live bit like the Adelaide Hills but a larger area and its very green and cooler there. A few people on the forums live there and commute to the city and its not a bad commute. However the sea is then further away because its at the edge of the plane.

Where I live is on the top of a hill between the two Bays and from some places here you can get views of the Western Port Bay and go a little further and get views of Port Phillip Bay. Its hilly and there are lots of places to go walking and hiking, through the bush or on the beaches.

The snow fields are not that far away and people tend to go up to them for the weekend in winter if they are snow bunnies.

My son lives in Yarrawonga on the Murray River three hours away from here and he can get to the snow and the mountains very easily.

What you have to realise unless you have been here before is the sheer size of the place, Victoria the State is larger than the UK so you have to think big. When I tell you something is nearby it may be going from the top of UK to the bottom of the UK. We just think completely differently.

Melbourne is the size of the Greater London area and has four million people. So distances are much larger.

There is really no place that gives everything without compromise of some things we like and personally I would live where I felt comfortable, could get a job I wanted and maybe have a friend already if that was possible.

[quote=Kooky;1936449321

Can anyone recommend an area/state. Is there a place where we would be roughly 20/30 minutes away from the beach and the mountains.

Hobart....which is actually built on the slopes of a mountain...and has suburbs with beaches. Hiking virtually at your back door...or literally for many people, including me. :biggrin: More artists (and scientists!) per capita than any other Australian city, apparently. Small city (about 200,000). Definitely has 4 seasons...but maybe too cold in winter for you...although not as cold as the UK or Canberra.

Employment may be the problem, though, even for teachers.

Archived