Renting a Property

davidtiffen

Hi

I arrived in Australia, Melbourne two weeks ago and looks like I already have secured a job.

2 month contract to go permenant hopefully, however we are living with relatives outside of melbourne and need to rent a property close to the new job.

Does anyone know what is required to rent a property as I will have no history in Australia credit wise, what evidence is required to rent a property and do you need a guarantor?

Also wanted to lease a vehicle rather than buy, not sure what would be required for this?

Trying to keep my credit history clean so can apply for mortgage in a few months.

Any help appreciated

I cant help with leasing a vehicle sorry but to rent a house you need to pass a 100 point ID check. It is good to throw as much paperwork at the agent as you can and always include a covering letter stating your new to the country hence lack of Australian paper work.

In your situation i would include -

A copy of passports and driving licence

A copy of Medicare card if you have one

A letter from your new employer stating salary (if not possible a copy of a healthy bank account so they know you have funds to pay the rent)

Any paid up UK utility or mortgage bills.

Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently in NZ and heading to Melbourne next week for a final job interview! Whilst I am in Melbourne I want to visit a few a few rental places. Does anyone have any good contacts that would be able to help me out?

Thanks!

I am currently in NZ and heading to Melbourne next week for a final job interview! Whilst I am in Melbourne I want to visit a few a few rental places. Does anyone have any good contacts that would be able to help me out?

Thanks!

Do you mean for short-term furnished or long-term unfurnished accommodation?

BB

Hi BB,

We would be looking for a rental place initially. I guess between 6 and 12 months. I am coming over next week and trying to line up some places to visit. I am looking around Oakleigh and Highett and other areas in between.

I have been looking at some useful websites about rentals, but can't find an agent to show me around. Long term we will sell our house in NZ and but a place in Melbourne.

Hi BB,

We would be looking for a rental place initially. I guess between 6 and 12 months.

Most long term unfurnished rental periods would be for 1 year. You can't sign up for one of these without viewing it first. Most people book some kind of short term furnished accommodation for the first few weeks.

I am coming over next week and trying to line up some places to visit. I am looking around Oakleigh and Highett and other areas in between.

I have been looking at some useful websites about rentals, but can't find an agent to show me around. Long term we will sell our house in NZ and but a place in Melbourne.

You won't find an agent to show you round. This isn't a service they generally offer. Most people pick an area they like the look of and then go and view all the rentals available in that area at open homes, with multiple agents.

BB

Archived