Returning to Oz after trip back home

mattster155

We are currently living on the Gold Coast on a Permanent Residency Visa. We are travelling back to the UK for three weeks in August. We are travelling on British Passports. Does anyone know if we will have a problem at immigration when re-entering Australia. Someone has told me today we need to get a visa that will allow is to re-enter Oz. Many thanks

Your permanent visa is valid for re-entry to Australia for 5 years from the date of grant. If you'll be returning before then, you won't have any problems at immigration and won't need another visa. If the 5 years has elapsed, your visa is no longer valid for re-entry and you must have a Resident Return visa. If you've lived in Australia for 2 years out the last 5 on your current visa, you will get a 5 year RRV which resets your re-entry rights for another 5 years. If you've been in Australia for leas than 2 out of the last 5 years, it's a little trickier but you should be able to get a shorter (1 year or 3 month) RRV. See the following for eligibility and how to apply if you need an RRV.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx

Your permanent visa is valid for re-entry to Australia for 5 years from the date of grant. If you'll be returning before then, you won't have any problems at immigration and won't need another visa. If the 5 years has elapsed, your visa is no longer valid for re-entry and you must have a Resident Return visa. If you've lived in Australia for 2 years out the last 5 on your current visa, you will get a 5 year RRV which resets your re-entry rights for another 5 years. If you've been in Australia for leas than 2 out of the last 5 years, it's a little trickier but you should be able to get a shorter (1 year or 3 month) RRV. See the following for eligibility and how to apply if you need an RRV.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx

Comprehensive response Ozmaniac, but since they are only away for 3 weeks, the simple answer is No they will be fine. :biggrin:

They will be fine only because their visa is current not because they are only going for 3 weeks!

Sorry not sure I follow quoll. They said they had perm residency why would it not be current ? And yes they are only going for 3 weeks not disappearing for years when you have to then reapply. So I think my statement holds true.

Quoll is absolutely correct. If their permanent visa had been granted more than 5 years ago, they would not be able to re-enter Australia without a Resident Return visa even if they had only been out of the country for 1 day. Now, as it happens, their signature tells us that their visa is still valid (it was granted on 18/5/12) but I wrote a detailed answer to ensure that they understood the re-entry conditions of their visa if they want to travel overseas in the future.

Sorry not sure I follow quoll. They said they had perm residency why would it not be current ? And yes they are only going for 3 weeks not disappearing for years when you have to then reapply. So I think my statement holds true.

The others have explained why it is not necessarily true! After 5 yrs they'd need a RRV or have become citizens.

Archived