Newly Qualified Nurse - Please Help

c2001aw

Hi everyone,

I know this is basically asking the same questions as everyone else seems to have asked but after looking through all of the different information and on the Australian Nursing website I've got to admit that I'm a bit confused lol

I qualified in September 2013 as an adult nurse on the diploma course from a UK university.

I would love to move to Woolloongabba in say 2015and start a career as a nurse but have no idea where to start - looking at all the information available online there's so much to take in with regards to applying and if diploma is accepted as being fully qualified??? :\

I know this is pretty much a repeat of other threads but I thought I would start a recent thread since the applications have changed recently

Any advice (even on costs of daily living etc) would be great :)

Thanks xx

p.s I have a small dog that I don't think I could leave behind and a partner (we're not married and he has no "professional skills" to transfer) so any info on this would help a lot x

Your partner can come with you, with you as main applicant so he does not have to be skilled..he just needs to have a uk passport or prove he can speak reasonable english..he may need a medical too along wth you depending on what visa you want to go for. You should go on immi website to see what visa you would be eligible for or how many points you will need to get. Ahpra accept diploma as equivalent to aus degree, but that might not always be the case. You need to decide what visa you want first and wrk towards that, you will need your skills assessed by anmac for permanent visa but not for temporay visa..you may also need to do ielts english test. Cost of living will depend where you are moving to.

I'd recommend starting to look at AHPRA registration as it's a bit of a minefield. Lots of documents and information to gather and as I found it takes longer than expected to get in contact with everyone to get what you need.

I'm just applying for my registration now.

Thanks for the replies :)

I want to go for a permanent visa and know the hospital I want to work in (Princess Alexandra in Woolloongabba) so will email them asking for their advice when I've managed to arrange any documents etc I may need

I've lived in the UK since birth and have completed all of my education here so would that mean I am exempt from the IELTS?

How do they assess skills for the permanent visa? I've recently qualified so I am currently completing a preceptorship in the trust I work for which has skill certificates for further training as I complete the course if that helps?

It's a massive weight off if the Diploma is considered an Aus degree as thought that may cause some complications :D

Do you happen to know if I were to start the application process now if I could hold off the move date until 2015? x

If you are going to apply for a permanent residency visa it may take you until 2015! I would start swatting up for the ielts test now if I were you as I think you will have to do it, Ive been told I have to do it and I am English and have done all my study in the uk. Ive been qualified just over 2 years x

Thanks for the replies :)

I want to go for a permanent visa and know the hospital I want to work in (Princess Alexandra in Woolloongabba) so will email them asking for their advice when I've managed to arrange any documents etc I may need

I've lived in the UK since birth and have completed all of my education here so would that mean I am exempt from the IELTS?

How do they assess skills for the permanent visa? I've recently qualified so I am currently completing a preceptorship in the trust I work for which has skill certificates for further training as I complete the course if that helps?

It's a massive weight off if the Diploma is considered an Aus degree as thought that may cause some complications :D

Do you happen to know if I were to start the application process now if I could hold off the move date until 2015? x

You need to sit the academic IELTS if you are wanting a PR visa. You need to score 7s in all areas to meet the requirements of ANMAC. Have a look at the ANMAC website which will let know what documents you need to provide for your skills assessment. You need this to be done before you can submit an EOI for a PR visa. ANMAC assessment usually take around 3 months.

Archived