Teaching

Guest Michael Ward

Guest Michael Ward

My wife and I are having second thoughts about moving as there does not seem to be ashortage of secondary school teachers in OZ. We would like to Adelaide but most teachers i have got in contact with have found problems geting a permanent job in OZ unless they teach in the middle of nowhere first. As I have 2 children not going do that! Sydney, my prefered destination, does not want to sponser oversees teachers as ther is no shortage in New Soth Wales. Is it worth the risk of moving as i get quite well paid now as I am Head of Faculty, and live in a nice area f Sheffield; my kids got to good schools.

I heard on the radio that WA still has a teacher shortage but don't know if it's secondary, and like most places in Aus the shortage will probably be mostly country schools I guess. Whilst I want to say, follow your dream ... as a parent I wouldn't have made the move if at least one of us didn't have any job security to come to and can understand your worries. At the end of the day, only you can decide - can you maybe come on holiday and sound things out yourself whilst here?

Ali

Guest Michael Ward

Thanks; we may come on holiday but not sure if that we help me with the job situation. The teacher shortage, as I undertand it, in WA is for all teachers, hence WA sponsoring all teachers, but it is for teaching in the rural areas. Dont want to move to Perth or WA. We fancy either Adelaide, Melbourne, though they dont sponser teachers who are not shortage subjects in Victoria; I dont teach Maths or Science, or Sydney. Would prefer Sydney as houses nicer tha Adelaide. New South Wales sponser English; i teach English, but I am Head of Humanities! So possiblities; is worth the gamble?

Archived