Sutherland Shire High Schools

cazzydee

We are making the move to Sutherland Shire later this year and I was wondering if anyone has any info on Port hacking High School in Miranda. It looks like it's performing well according to its literacy and numeracy scores, in fact it's on a par with Kirrawee High School. The real estate agents always state whether or not a house is in the catchment zone for Kirrawee High yet they don't do the same for Port Hacking High. Is this because Port Hacking doesn't have a catchment zone/bigger zone than Kirrawee has, or is it just not a great advert to state that a particular property is in the zone because it's not a well regarded school? If we want our children to go to Kirrawee High then we're restricted where we can live on the Shire due to its zoning. Is it the same if you wish your child/ren to go to Port Hacking High? Are there other state high schools anyone can recommend on the Shire?

Any information will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Caroline

Hi Caroline, we aren't in that area (we are over towards Engadine), but I do vaguely know a couple of mums at school who teach at Port Hacking and I think it is a good school. It is a sports academy, so there are super sporting facilities, whereas Kirrawee is more of a science/technical college. Engadine High has a good reputation too, but I am not sure about any other schools in the area. My girls are only 6 and 7, so we haven't had to think about that yet!

I think that all schools will have a catchment area, just like in the UK, but I have had a quick look on the school website and can't see it. You might have to phone them and find out directly from the school. Many schools will take out of area enrolments if there is space. Our girls go to a big primary school, and several of my children's friends are out of area for the school. The high school that our suburb is zoned for is further away than our local one, so the catchments can be funny like that. We are intending to apply to the closer one, in part because it is a better school, but mainly because our eldest has Aspergers syndrome and the closer school has a fantastic special needs support team. Also, most of her friends will be going to this one, and her psychologist feels that it would be advantageous to keep her with her friends.

I couldn't find details of the catchment zone either, just the 'out of area' form so I know there's a zone I just can't locate it!! I'll get in touch with the school, I thought I'd ask you just in case you had some local knowledge. Thanks so much for your help and I hope you manage to get your daughter into the school you want. Moving around the world was so much easier before we had schools to consider!

Cheers,

Caroline

• 2 weeks later...

Port Hacking generally takes from Miranda, Yowie Bay, Gymea and some of Gymea Bay. We live in Kareela so completed an out of area application and were one of the few lucky ones to get a place. It is getting very popular now and does just as well as Kirrawee (if not better on some things) . We looked at Kirrawee but were more impressed by what Port had to offer. 3 years later I can still highly recommend it. The Principal doesn't suffer fools gladly and is firm but fair, exactly what you need for a big high school like this.

Hi LainyK,

Thanks for that information, it certainly helps make a decision about where to live on the Shire. Which school would you be in the catchment for living in Kareela? We really liked Kareela and Oyster Bay but the high schools were obviously a consideration.

Cheers,

Caroline

Hi Caroline, we are zoned for Gymea High School and lots of kids from our area go there, however it does not get as good results. You have 2 'sell' your kid in the out of area application form and they ask for their recent report cards. They choose kids with good academic results but also ones who have sporting, musical and performance skills. I love where we live but would have chosen to live in the catchment area for port hacking or kirrawee if we could rewind and do it all over again as i now worry that my other child won't get into the same school as her sister in 2 years time due to its popularity. House prices in the catchment areas however are a major factor in any decision as you dont get much for your money in Kirrawee. There are also the christian and catholic schools which have waiting lists and are fee paying but extremely popular with many in the shire. Inaburra is probabley the most sought after. And they have a bus so it doesnt matter where you live. Down side you need 2 apply years in advance usually. Ps , lots of expats live in Oyster Bay and Kareela.

We look like we are also heading to the Shire in October this year and we have two girls aged 7 and 13. It's good to have some feedback on the schools to know where to head. Does anyone have any information about Jannali or Slyvania High Schools. My eldest is not really sporty and more academic so the choice of school is very important to us - any advice would be greatly appreciated

LainyK, you're a star! You've answered all my questions and concerns and it's great to get your perspective on what you would do if you could rewind.....aren't we always thinking about what we'd change!! You've certainly given me food for thought and I hope your second daughter gets into Port Hacking. Do you happen to know the catchment school for kids living in Caringbah South?

Hi Scott, firstly I can highly recommend the Shire.....great choice. Its a great place to bring up kids and well enough away from the hustle and bustle of Sydney. As a rule of thumb most of the public high schools in the shire get a good reputation and receive plenty of out of area applications from out with the shire, predominately the St George area. However having said that Jannali probably gets he worst bad press, this is mainly due to the catchment area having a lot of housing commission (a bit like council estates in UK) . I don't know anyone that has kids that go there despite knowing many people from the area. I have friends that have had kids attend Sylvannia , with 3 all at University now. Heard of a few bullying issues in Sylvannia and Gymea.....but sure that happens everywhere. Of course it does depend a lot on the kid and if they have a good head on their shoulders and not easily lead then they will fit in anywhere. Port Hacking and Kirrawee are currently the best academically performing schools in the area (no doubt helped by the fact that they tend to take the brightest kids from out of area applications). Have you checked the Myschool website...it gives an indication of the schools performance,size, staffing etc...however like any statistics they can be tweaked to suit so shouldn't totally influence your decision.My eldest is 14 and she was never sporty but plays in the band , is involved in school dance and drama,as well as being good on the academic front and for that reason we only ever considered Kirrawee or Port Hacking. Hope that helps :)

Lorraine

Hi Caroline, I'm pretty sure most of Caringbah south is zoned for Woolooware High School , and some may be zoned for Port Hacking. Quite pricey area to buy in. In general the closer you get to Cronulla the more expensive the property. Engadine is one of the most affordable areas to live and has good schools and lots of facilities, (we lived there) however its just that bit further for commuting so that's its biggest down side .

cheers

Lorraine

We live in the Engadine area, and it suits us down to the ground. Good schools, really family friendly area, post office, supermarkets, National Park on our doorstep. Perfect, actually!

Totally agree LKC, and we still frequent the area regularly :)

You aren't far away in Kareela! One of the things that I like about this area is that several of the mums/dads who have children in our daughter's classes went to the same school when they were young. I went for coffee with a friend who lives in Gymea Bay this morning, only to find that she went to school with our youngest daughter's friends' mum. Those things make me feel settled.

Hi Lorraine, Thank you so much for your detailed response, this is really helpful. We stayed in Cronulla when we visited back in 2009 and spent a lot of the time around the Shire and in the National Park. I need to ensure I am in commuting distance of the CBD or M5 corridor as this is where my trade is mostly located. The move seems the easiest part but finding the right location is a headache! Thanks again

Hi LainyK, I'm going to call you The Oracle from now on! It's been great to get an objective and helpful response and one that hasn't degenerated into a slanging match. Good on you. You have really helped me get an idea of the areas and the schools in the places we've been considering and I'm feeling more confident about the move. Thanks so much for everything.

Cheers,

Caroline

• 1 month later...

LKC- May i ask which school your looking at for your eldest who suffers Aspergers? My son is 7yrs old and I'd be interested to know of the school and how you find out about a school that has special programs for our kids? I'm in the St George area but my eldest goes to Port hacking.

We are intending to apply to the closer one, in part because it is a better school, but mainly because our eldest has Aspergers syndrome and the closer school has a fantastic special needs support team. Also, most of her friends will be going to this one, and her psychologist feels that it would be advantageous to keep her with her friends. - See more at: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/new-south-wales/205406-sutherland-shire-high-schools.html#sthash.vRkHrY8H.dpuf

LKC- May i ask which school your looking at for your eldest who suffers Aspergers? My son is 7yrs old and I'd be interested to know of the school and how you find out about a school that has special programs for our kids? I'm in the St George area but my eldest goes to Port hacking.

We are intending to apply to the closer one, in part because it is a better school, but mainly because our eldest has Aspergers syndrome and the closer school has a fantastic special needs support team. Also, most of her friends will be going to this one, and her psychologist feels that it would be advantageous to keep her with her friends. - See more at: http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/new-south-wales/205406-sutherland-shire-high-schools.html#sthash.vRkHrY8H.dpuf

We will make an out of area application for Engadine High School - it has a great reputation. The main reason is that all of her primary school friends are zoned for this school, but it does also have a special needs program. I found out about it through word of mouth, but there is some info on the website too.

Hi LainyK,

Thanks for that information, it certainly helps make a decision about where to live on the Shire. Which school would you be in the catchment for living in Kareela? We really liked Kareela and Oyster Bay but the high schools were obviously a consideration.

Cheers,

Caroline

i worked at at oyster bay before and after school care, gorge place..pricey..but very sweet!

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I live in Caringbah. Better education.com.au I think is the best website to compare school results based on hsc and naplan results. Not the only thing to consider of course. I know engadine has had to tighten their catchment area as it is a good school and a large area. I play for one of the soccer teams in engadine. I wish everyone all the best with their choices! Not easy! We looked as far north as Newcastle for somewhere for our kids. The Shire has very good schools. Woolloware and port hacking are my choices for my two if they don't get into the selective Caringbah school. Mine are only six and three though! Lived here for 19 months now and happy!

Need a decent pub in the Shire though!

S x

Archived