Australian PR and few things to clarify.

jilmil

1) What happens if the jobs that sponsored you for 190 is no more or ends before 2 years and one cannot find another job in that state.

2) How to claim work experience points for total work experience and Australian work experience. For example, my total work experience combined with Australian work experience is 8 years, Australian experience is 1 year. Can I claim 10 points for total experience and 5 points for Australian experience, separately? Or we need to deduct the Australian experience from total as we are claiming 5 points separately.

3) What is an character check certificate.

4) What is a police check? I have police check from UK, but not from Australia. Do I need one.

I can answer some of your questions. You need a police check for every country that you have spent at least a year in within the last 10 years. It must be less than a year old.

You fill out a character check form as part of the visa application.

The 190 is a permanent visa which is not tied to any job. You can work where you like.

1) What happens if the jobs that sponsored you for 190 is no more or ends before 2 years and one cannot find another job in that state.

2) How to claim work experience points for total work experience and Australian work experience. For example, my total work experience combined with Australian work experience is 8 years, Australian experience is 1 year. Can I claim 10 points for total experience and 5 points for Australian experience, separately? Or we need to deduct the Australian experience from total as we are claiming 5 points separately.

3) What is an character check certificate.

4) What is a police check? I have police check from UK, but not from Australia. Do I need one.

1, 190 is a state nominated visa - you are not sponsored by an employer, but you have a moral obligation to the state to live and work there for 2 years. Nothing will happen if you dont fufil your obligation.

2, You can combine work experience points to a maximum of 20 points - so yes if you can prove your work experience. If you have 8 years which includes 1 year of Australian - it would be 5 years overseas work experience - 10 points and 1 year Australian Work experience - 5 points = 15 points. But confirm this with a registered migration agent.

3 & 4. You will need Police certificates for all countries you have spent a total of 12 months in the last 10 years. This is the character clearance.

UK police checks are from ACRO - Australian AFP. Police certificates require to be less than 12 months old, if you are in Australia currently they will need to be less than 12 months old at time visa is granted.

1) A 190 is a state sponsored visa and you are free to work in any occupation for any employer as long as the work is in the sponsoring state (and even that is only a moral obligation). Even if having a job offer was part of the state imposed requirements for obtaining sponsorship, there is no obligation for you to work in that job.

2) You can't use the experience in a given year more than once.

You can combine points for overseas and the higher points for Australian experience gained at different times up to a maximum of 20 points but when you look at the way the points test is set out, it looks at Overseas and Australian experience as two separate things and doesn't actually mention TOTAL experience at all.

To use your example, according to the points test on the DIBP site, it would be 10 points for 7 years overseas experience (overseas skilled employment for at least five but less than eight years) plus 5 points for 1 year of Australian experience (Australian skilled employment for at least one but less than three years). It wouldn't be 15 points for 8 years total experience plus 5 points for Australian experience. I don't actually know where you got the idea of total work experience that you've used in your example - perhaps you've been looking at an old version of the points test. Check the current points test on the DIBP site:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/190.aspx See 'Points test'

For 190 , does one need to have at least a 2 year job contract ahead before the state sponsors you.

If after grant of 190 one gets a better job and wants to move to another state, is it possible and will it effect the 190 visa or future application for citizenship.:yes:

For 190 , does one need to have at least a 2 year job contract ahead before the state sponsors you.

If after grant of 190 one gets a better job and wants to move to another state, is it possible and will it effect the 190 visa or future application for citizenship.:yes:

A job offer or contract is not required for the grant of a 190 visa HOWEVER, if the sponsoring state requires a job offer or contract as a condition of sponsorship, you will not get sponsorship from that state. Without state sponsorship, you can't get a 190 visa.

At present, it is only a moral obligation that you stay in the sponsoring state for 2 years so you can move to another state without affecting your visa and without the move having any effect on future citizenship.

The 2 years in the sponsoring state could however change to being a firm visa condition and if it does, then your visa (and as a result, citizenship) would be in jeopardy.

Archived