WA still topping other states

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To someone who earns around $20k pa in the UK and lives in an a small terraced house to come here and be paid around $60-$70k and live in a shed i mean bungalow it may seem like paradise

And a shed is possibly what you'll afford unless willing to live far out of the centre or in a dodgy area. They really do exist here, believe me. But I understand what your saying, only in the end it is all relative.

Besides I', not sure if any on $20,000 a year in UK, would qualify for OZ residence. If they did they may well be off an alternative lifestyle not readily found nor accepted in general in Australia.

And a shed is possibly what you'll afford unless willing to live far out of the centre or in a dodgy area. They really do exist here, believe me. But I understand what your saying, only in the end it is all relative.

Besides I', not sure if any on $20,000 a year in UK, would qualify for OZ residence. If they did they may well be off an alternative lifestyle not readily found nor accepted in general in Australia.

Should be £20k too used to $ now

But people do don't they? Because they will never lose they are told, They forget that interest rates are at an all time low and don't think what will happen should they go up 3%. they think oh my house has gone up $200k lets remortgage and buy a boat and a holiday. Oz has higher debt per household than UK and US ever did but hey i am sure it will be fine the sun shines and wages are high here..................

But do they not take heed of the advice that is everywhere? You're not buying really are you, you're borrowing. A massive amount with no guarantees. Surely even the most ignorant of folks have some concept of profit and loss? If not their problem I say. Sad but true..thats life. Stay renting if overly concerned. Much like the should I stay or should I go debate. There are NO guarantees. Some people cant live with that level of risk

Most migrants left the UK for some gain..be it social, financial or other perceived benefit. Nothing wrong with going with the flow where and when it suits.

Folk can be akin to like lemmings I agree. And who said there was something wrong going with the flow? Most do it. Nice when some one comes up with an alternative to the norm though.

I lived in a terraced house in my twenties and I moved from a semi on a nice private estate to a home in the outer suburbs that I would not describe as a shed or in a dodgy area. No, I am proud of our lovely home.

Hardly the case for those with a mortgage, concerned about interest rates, on short tern contracts, on casual contracts, a health worker about to lose your job due to WA government cutbacks, one of the 17.5% youth unemployed in the Peel (Mandurah) Region, struggling to afford ones first house in a grossly inflated housing market or for that matter looking for a job in a very competitive job market.

Who would buy a home on a short term contract?

Mostly they don't hear the wise words spoken by those who know better, they see media reports claiming never ending boom and estate agents saying buy now or you will never get on the housing ladder. Borrow as much as you can because it will make you loads of money pa although its worthless unless you sell up and go and live in a caravan. Housing in a decent area should be a necessity for people not a luxury. Who actually benefits from the massive price hikes? Governments and banks mostly. Should my children buy at 20x their salary? That's what would happen if it never corrects and economically that just ain't feasible. Sometime somewhere the debt mountain has to be repaid.................

I lived in a terraced house in my twenties and I moved from a semi on a nice private estate to a home in the outer suburbs that I would not describe as a shed or in a dodgy area. No, I am proud of our lovely home.

Just be happy where you live. Pride is wearisome. It is bricks and mortar at the end of the day. Surely the important thing is your interpretation of life and how it should be lived that exists inside your head.

But people do don't they? Because they will never lose they are told, They forget that interest rates are at an all time low and don't think what will happen should they go up 3%. they think oh my house has gone up $200k lets remortgage and buy a boat and a holiday. Oz has higher debt per household than UK and US ever did but hey i am sure it will be fine the sun shines and wages are high here..................

Debt servitude for most such a shame. Buy to rent is a joke unless done at the right time. It was right several years back not now.

Just be happy where you live. Pride is wearisome. It is bricks and mortar at the end of the day. Surely the important thing is your interpretation of life and how it should be lived that exists inside your head.

I AM proud. I am proud of what we've achieved, I could have nothing and Id still be proud, but don't take away my inner glow for what I perceive as my gains

Mostly they don't hear the wise words spoken by those who know better, they see media reports claiming never ending boom and estate agents saying buy now or you will never get on the housing ladder. Borrow as much as you can because it will make you loads of money pa although its worthless unless you sell up and go and live in a caravan. Housing in a decent area should be a necessity for people not a luxury. Who actually benefits from the massive price hikes? Governments and banks mostly. Should my children buy at 20x their salary? That's what would happen if it never corrects and economically that just ain't feasible. Sometime somewhere the debt mountain has to be repaid.................

It is a very powerful union of rogues. Government, Banks, Real Estate and Media, that's one hell of a combination to dissent against. It is little wonder that folk are confused.

It is a very powerful union of rogues. Government, Banks, Real Estate and Media, that's one hell of a combination to dissent against. It is little wonder that folk are confused.

Capitalism reigns supreme and the public help fuel it in every first world nation. Up to the individual to partake or not

Who would buy a home on a short term contract?

Let me explain. Many were not on short tern contracts when taking out a mortgage. This form of employment came later in the day and caught many unawares who had already signed up. In other cases it was terms of employment at entry and as such will limit the numbers able to apply for First Home owners grant. Mixed bag, like life.

I've only read the last few pages of this thread...but def agree with HHs train of thought.

can some people not just be happy with having what they can afford.

We have no very little savings, but have still been offered a mortgage to buy a house more than suitable to our needs in Perth, ok we could sell the UK house and have a stunner of a pad, but we don't need or want that. As long as the mortgage isn't costing more than we are paying in rent, I really don't see any probs.

Does nobody get enjoyment from the simple things in life any more? Why make your life's more difficult by looking too deep into things.

got to wonder why some people ended up here.

Let me explain. Many were not on short tern contracts when taking out a mortgage. This form of employment came later in the day and caught many unawares who had already signed up. In other cases it was terms of employment at entry and as such will limit the numbers able to apply for First Home owners grant. Mixed bag, like life.

C'est la Vie! Should have trained as a nurse.

Owning is not the be all and end all though...if people find themselves in a disagreeable position to secure an affordable mortgage...much to be gained from renting. I would think my own children will face similar challenges to myself and partner in the financial stakes. Money..the root of all evil. Get what you can while you can and don't sweat the small stuff.

Of course not...why do you ask?

Because your previous posts state that the current system is acceptable and that it has been wonderful to you and if we all just accept that then future generations will be handing over 80% of their salary to the bank. It was always said that a house should cost no more than 30% of your income. How many people do you think exceed that now? How much percentage of salary to the bank should we pay for a roof over our heads? Considering you cant buy much in Perth under $450K unless you live 40k plus from CBD

Archived