One Month In

Guest Alison1967

Guest Alison1967

Arrived in Adelaide about a month ago and been on a extreme emotional rollercoaster. Came on my own as the house still hasn't sold and we are about to go with the 3rd Estate Agent. Hubby is still in UK until it sells.

Found it really stressful getting a rental that took 3 weeks of looking and stalking letting agents daily. Got really upset in the vets the other day, got the cat back from quarantine and she got really sick and I panicked 'what do I do' 'where do I take her' suddenly brought home how familiar things were at home and I just panicked!

Have achieved a lot though got a decent secondhand car, got a rental convenient for work but not in area I wanted, got casual job at Flinders and start my permanent Clinical Nurse post next month. Met some people I made through these websites and I have a friend who moved here 3 yrs ago. Without these people I would not have coped getting myself established.

Starting to settle down as best I can until my hubby gets here, and now I have my phone and internet keeping in contact with home has got better and I feel less stressed. I'm working with really nice people, starting to explore Adelaide and I'M OK

Good luck to everyone in similar circumstances and about to get on the flight heading south. I'm looking forward to the future.

Ali

Arrived in Adelaide about a month ago and been on a extreme emotional rollercoaster. Came on my own as the house still hasn't sold and we are about to go with the 3rd Estate Agent. Hubby is still in UK until it sells.

Found it really stressful getting a rental that took 3 weeks of looking and stalking letting agents daily. Got really upset in the vets the other day, got the cat back from quarantine and she got really sick and I panicked 'what do I do' 'where do I take her' suddenly brought home how familiar things were at home and I just panicked!

Have achieved a lot though got a decent secondhand car, got a rental convenient for work but not in area I wanted, got casual job at Flinders and start my permanent Clinical Nurse post next month. Met some people I made through these websites and I have a friend who moved here 3 yrs ago. Without these people I would not have coped getting myself established.

Starting to settle down as best I can until my hubby gets here, and now I have my phone and internet keeping in contact with home has got better and I feel less stressed. I'm working with really nice people, starting to explore Adelaide and I'M OK

Good luck to everyone in similar circumstances and about to get on the flight heading south. I'm looking forward to the future.

Ali

Just wanted to say that hope all goes well for you. It's good that you've made friends here and have got some support over there. Good luck and keep us updated! :D

Guest Pesky Varmit

Hi Ali

hopefully will be heading to Adelaide in next two months, should have our visa end of September. House already sold, so can't wait to get there! Being really nosey(as you'll understand we need all the help we can get), how come it took so long to find rented? We were hoping to be sorted in about a week or is this unrealistic? We have a rough idea of where we want to rent initially before we buy, but as we have three kids in tow are a bit concerned about the timeframe, We were only going to book hotel for about a week. Are agents a bit lax or are there shortages of rentals? Hope you can help, and the very best of luck with everything.

Guest Alison1967
Hi Ali

hopefully will be heading to Adelaide in next two months, should have our visa end of September. House already sold, so can't wait to get there! Being really nosey(as you'll understand we need all the help we can get), how come it took so long to find rented? We were hoping to be sorted in about a week or is this unrealistic? We have a rough idea of where we want to rent initially before we buy, but as we have three kids in tow are a bit concerned about the timeframe, We were only going to book hotel for about a week. Are agents a bit lax or are there shortages of rentals? Hope you can help, and the very best of luck with everything.

Letting agents are very lax, renting makes you low down on the EA food chain. They take ages to get back to you, imply its the landlords decision who gets to rent but i doubt that. 3 & 4 bedroom houses are very popular and that means loads of competition depending on where you want to live. If you have pets that clouds the picture. My advice would be start looking now and check out the AdelaideBrits website. Hope your lucky in getting somewhere quickly but in reality it may take longer than one week to secure somewhere decent and with the increase in interest rates rents are on the rise.

Best of luck

Ali x

Guest Pesky Varmit

Hi Ali

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply!! ( Unlike the estate agents!!!) What you have said makes perfect sense, we do have an idea of the suburbs we want to rent in but are obviously reluctant to rent somewhere without seeing it. It looks like we'll just have to book that hotel for a little bit longer, can't see any other way round it. (mmmm.. wonder do they need anyone to do the dishes!!!!)

Good luck and thanks :)

Guest Alison1967
Hi Ali

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply!! ( Unlike the estate agents!!!) What you have said makes perfect sense, we do have an idea of the suburbs we want to rent in but are obviously reluctant to rent somewhere without seeing it. It looks like we'll just have to book that hotel for a little bit longer, can't see any other way round it. (mmmm.. wonder do they need anyone to do the dishes!!!!)

Good luck and thanks :)

check the rental section on realestate.com.au and I think domain is the other one, some have pictures of the rooms.

Also people advertise their rentals through AdelaideBrits website and they will email you photo's.

Hope you'll only have to do your own dishes :wink:

Ali

Archived