Schooling fees

daveth

Hi I am contemplating a job offer for a position in Oz , Sydney based, can anyone advise if when on a 457, would we have to pay for kids schools fees, for an 8 year old and a 3 year old, and if so whats the range? Many thanks D

Depending on the kind of education you prefer for your children (in terms of religion or pedagogy) then you can opt for private education which may not cost anymore - we paid less than $4k per annum in Perth

let me just google what pedagogy means , sounds like a foot treatment in a spa?! Thanks for your input. OK next , dog, just been quoted £3k to bring my pooch! That's more than the quote for flights for me and family! Can anyone give any recommendations on a service provider for doggy transport? Is £3k a going rate?

• 3 weeks later...

In Victoria you only have to pay 'voluntary' fees but I do think you have to pay much more for other states. Depending on private v's public expect to pay and arm and two legs for private school. A word of advice because no one told us when we moved- the school will give you a book/stationery/uniform list. Please DON'T buy them new if you can help it. Work books were around $2 each on the list and you can pick them up for 50 cent in Kmart or Target, NEVER buy textbooks new if you can help it, trust me, it's just not worth it, and remember gumtree/ebay will become your best friend towards the end of the year, and we were told about the school second hand uniform shop but choose to buy new-big mistake. I had the idea that only 'poor' people would do that but everyone likes a bargain. For the primary we were at you could just buy polos with the school colour rather than the $30 ones with the badge, and they are mostly all usually less strict than secondary about things like shoes/bags/cardigans so check with the school you choose what their policy is and ask about buying second hand. Good luck

In Victoria you only have to pay 'voluntary' fees but I do think you have to pay much more for other states. Depending on private v's public expect to pay and arm and two legs for private school. A word of advice because no one told us when we moved- the school will give you a book/stationery/uniform list. Please DON'T buy them new if you can help it. Work books were around $2 each on the list and you can pick them up for 50 cent in Kmart or Target, NEVER buy textbooks new if you can help it, trust me, it's just not worth it, and remember gumtree/ebay will become your best friend towards the end of the year, and we were told about the school second hand uniform shop but choose to buy new-big mistake. I had the idea that only 'poor' people would do that but everyone likes a bargain. For the primary we were at you could just buy polos with the school colour rather than the $30 ones with the badge, and they are mostly all usually less strict than secondary about things like shoes/bags/cardigans so check with the school you choose what their policy is and ask about buying second hand. Good luck

He's going to Sydney where he will have to pay $5k per child for a government school because of his temporary visa status.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes you will $5k pa for the 8 yr old in a gov school and $100-110 per day for the 3 yr old if you can find a child care place

can you advise - I will be on a 457 visa and we are looking at a catholic primary school (fees confirmed at $3600k p.a.) in NSW - would we need to pay NSW fees in addition or not?

Thanks!:notworthy:

can you advise - I will be on a 457 visa and we are looking at a catholic primary school (fees confirmed at $3600k p.a.) in NSW - would we need to pay NSW fees in addition or not?

Thanks!:notworthy:

Really good question and I'm really sorry to say I don't know (useless I know but I've had a glass or two).

We came out on a 457 and the way it works is that each state can charge foreigners a percentage of the total cost of putting children through a PUBLIC school education. The total public school cost is about $11k p.a. and NSW charges foreigners about 30% of that (it's 100% in the ACT so smile).

Catholic schools are a kind of half-way house to fully private education (actually a 25%-35% house in terms of fees) but they are also subsidised by the state in recognition of the fact that the state could not provide Public education to all kids without them so I really don't know if the NSW government would charge say 30% of the subsidised element of say $7k.

However (getting to the punch line) the Aussies are very good at putting everything online so try picking a Catholic school website and digging down into the enrollment/fees sections.

Apologies that I can't be more helpful

OK next , dog, just been quoted £3k to bring my pooch! That's more than the quote for flights for me and family! Can anyone give any recommendations on a service provider for doggy transport? Is £3k a going rate?

Yep, pet shipping is expensive. They don't even get any food either. If it's any consolation, the shippers and the quarantine people are very professional and your pet is likely to go through the experience with no stress at all. So at least you're paying top dollar for a top service. That'll contrast nicely with when you try to to find a place to live in Sydney.

Archived