Best region for house renovation (doer uppers)

spangley

My family are on the final straight to getting our PR visa, and so are turning our attention to where in Aus we'd like to live.

My wife and I love house renovation and especially love older houses with character.

Can anyone advise or suggest of regions and suburbs where housing stock it more gentrified, and there's more likely a choice of doer uppers.

Up and coming areas are always of appeal.

The other caveat is that it has to be somewhere where I'll find employment opportunities for my IT skills, so no abandoned gold mining towns unfortunately ;)

Thanks in advance for helpful responses to my incredibly broad and sweeping question.

This is my helpful response: :wink: consider all the other criteria for location first...employment, climate, big city, small city, country, coastal etc. etc. Because, wherever you live, there will be older houses ripe for renovation.

If you are unhappy because you haven't chosen wisely on the other criteria, renovating is not going to be of much help.

Agree with the above post about finding work first and working from there but dont limit yourself to areas when it is time to pin point somewhere.

There are lots of relocatable home companys out there selling houses that need attention so buying a plot of land and having a second hand house put on it is an option worth looking at. Here are a few links that will explain what i mean wayyyyy better than me,lol

- http://www.wrightbros.com.au/

- http://www.davidwright.com.au/asp/listings.asp

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x