Moving to brisbane... After some advice!

Laurab80

Hi, myself,husband and 3 boys are moving to brisbane later this year and will be looking for short term accomadation that isn't too expensive, we have a budget of $400-500 p/week (I know this May be hard to come by!) for a stay of 4-6 weeks while we look around suburbs and find a rental, so if anyone knows of anything? Our boys are age 5, 2 and 6months.

We are also looking for best suburbs with good primary schools, we will be renting at first. We have been looking at Waverley, spring wood, the gap, Everton park, chermside, fitzgibbon. We want a family friendly area with reasonably priced rentals, good schools ,parks.... But not to quiet!

we have lived in Sydney for quite a few years and loved it, then moved to Perth and could not settle there... We are now back in the uk and really missing oz and our lifestyle there.

when we were in Sydney we lived in randwick/coogee and really loved the feel there so if anyone knows of similar places in brisbane would love to know!

Any advice would be great!

Can't wait to get back to oz:biggrin:

Hi, myself,husband and 3 boys are moving to brisbane later this year and will be looking for short term accomadation that isn't too expensive, we have a budget of $400-500 p/week (I know this May be hard to come by!) for a stay of 4-6 weeks while we look around suburbs and find a rental, so if anyone knows of anything? Our boys are age 5, 2 and 6months.

We are also looking for best suburbs with good primary schools, we will be renting at first. We have been looking at Waverley, spring wood, the gap, Everton park, chermside, fitzgibbon. We want a family friendly area with reasonably priced rentals, good schools ,parks.... But not to quiet!

we have lived in Sydney for quite a few years and loved it, then moved to Perth and could not settle there... We are now back in the uk and really missing oz and our lifestyle there.

when we were in Sydney we lived in randwick/coogee and really loved the feel there so if anyone knows of similar places in brisbane would love to know!

Can't wait to get back to oz:biggrin:

Blimey, that is a big ask. I am not sure that $400-500 pw for short term accommodation for 5 people is realistic. It would be a push for long term accommodation and short term is more expensive. I had a look at holiday parks as they are often a cheap form of accommodation, but I think even there you are looking at camping..

https://www.brisbaneholidayvillage.com.au/online-bookings?available_from=05-06-2014&available_to=03-07-2014&adults=2&children=3&infants=0&submit=submit

Guest Guest95262

Try Gumtree we found all our places on there, all short term. we are right in the city and pay 395 for a granny flat with 2 bedrooms on short term, but we have also payed near that for a house share.

Very tough. I would look at holiday lets and make sure you come out of peak season/school holidays for qld/nsw etc.

Redcliffe is a quiet, pleasant, brisbane bayside holiday location so not as much demand as flashier surf beaches. Weekly holiday lets there are quite reasonable but your budget is still a little low for something nice. An extra $100 would make a big difference I think.

Check out realestate agent websites in redcliffe and surrounds. I usually search for "redcliffe holiday lets real estate" or similar and then work my way through any websites that look like real estate agents to find the ones that do "weekly" holiday lets. These weekly lets are usually second homes owned by local brisbane people who place them with a real estate agent to let at weekly rates. Usually a lot cheaper than going to a dedicated holiday apartments with nightly rates. I would email them and ask if they have anything for your time period. Many would be happy to drop the price a little for a 6 week stay in the off season I imagine.

Here is one example I found. It has weekly lets within your budget but you may get a bit ill looking at the decor for too many weeks. Some of the 2 bedrooms aren't too bad and only a little over your budget.

http://www.century21.com.au/sitemap/real-estate/holiday-rentals/qld/redcliffe/

Note that Redcliffe is both a suburb and the name of the whole peninsula which includes the bayside suburbs of Clontarf, Margate, Redcliffe, Scarborough and Woody Point. It would make a nice place to stay with the kids as it had lovely foreshore walks, playgrounds, swimming pools etc.

cover.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRrp8iNRcylGVMRpt3CEmPT7OudlYGgGoVMJHevLTNbA2-8Hsy

Out of all of those suburbs my pick would be the The Gap for the schools. All of them are quiet though, depending on what your definition is. Certainly none of them would be anything like the eastern suburbs of sydney. Your budget would be ok for long term lets.

Given your love of inner city Sydney and search for good schools you might consider closer in to the city in suburbs like Bardon. You could compromise on your house and live next to one of the most successful primary schools in queensland, Rainworth.

It is an expensive character home area but I found this 4 bedroom home next to the school with a usable backyard for $595: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-bardon-412272123

Bardon itself is very quiet, gorgeous family area in the foothills of Mt-Coot-tha but only 6km from the city. Busier areas are close by though for your urban life fix.

Out of all of those suburbs my pick would be the The Gap for the schools. All of them are quiet though, depending on what your definition is. Certainly none of them would be anything like the eastern suburbs of sydney. Your budget would be ok for long term lets.

Given your love of inner city Sydney and search for good schools you might consider closer in to the city in suburbs like Bardon. You could compromise on your house and live next to one of the most successful primary schools in queensland, Rainworth.

It is an expensive character home area but I found this 4 bedroom home next to the school with a usable backyard for $595: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-bardon-412272123

Bardon itself is very quiet, gorgeous family area in the foothills of Mt-Coot-tha but only 6km from the city. Busier areas are close by though for your urban life fix.

The Gap definitely gets a thumbs up. 25 min from the CBD by bus and with the bush on the doorstep - and great schools plus lovely atmosphere!

I suppose you need to nail down what it was about randwick/coogee that you liked the most and try and translate that. What did you actually do as a family there the most as it may be quite difficult to translate the proximity to beach and the city in Brisbane.

This is because the closest areas to the beach in Brisbane are not sand based (more your mud flats and mangroves type areas). Until you get quite a bit further south or north (redcliffe as mentioned before) - and even here I would say the beaches are not a patch on what you find further north or south where you get that white silica type sand (this stuff is probably from bribie island northwards). The gap would have bit more of a rural feel I would say (very bushland - reserve type area) - probably not as busy as what you would be used to in sydney but still reasonable access to the bright lights of brisbane. Traffic is obviously not as bad as sydney because the population is not quite as dense here. Hope this helps - if you need more help feel free to PM me.

Archived