Sydney vs Melbourne: the final scores are in

Guest spreadingwings

Having lived in both cities as an ordinary wage slave Melbourne is the place to be. If you are rich and famous and can afford the Harbour and Palm Beach its Sydney.

Friendliness I would opt for Melbourne every time.

Scenery for ordinary folk wage slaves I would also opt for Melbourne it has so many different types of beaches, surf and the calmer waters of the bay so suitable for children, whereas Sydney bay beaches are not that accessible for all folk.

Given that most of us are wage slaves and have to earn a quid have to say Melbourne is hard to beat and the suburbs may be flat in some places but they are not in others and all of the suburbs are nice to look at which I do not find in Sydney.

I moved from Sydney for a better cheaper lifestyle and got it in Melbourne

Guest spreadingwings
Having lived in both cities as an ordinary wage slave Melbourne is the place to be. If you are rich and famous and can afford the Harbour and Palm Beach its Sydney.

I love this! :)

Thanks for the comments and thoughts. Budget is definitely something to consider, and really should come before everything else.

I would certainly love the cheaper prices of Melbourne, but I don't agree it is necessary to live by the Harbour or Palm Beach in Sydney. Actually Palm Beach doesn't look that expensive anyway, northern beach suburbs nearer the city are pricier as far as I can tell.

We wanted to go to Melbourne before we moved over, it has crafted a good image but it wasn't an option work wise for the OH. So I wanted to make it our weekend favourite get away place, we have visited a few times since, really tried to like it, but I find it an ugly, dirty, grungy city. I do want to like it and wish I did, but I just can't find any redeeming features. Well the coffee is nice, you don't get a bad coffee in Melbourne. I find the people really annoying, they try to be quirky with fashion and wear stupid hats and generally just look ridiculous, trying too hard.

I spat my coffee out when I read the Melbourne "culture" piece which mentioned "painted murals", we went to the so called trendy chic city suburbs when we were last three and it was even dirtier than the rest of the place and covered in graffiti. I am probably not arty enough to admire graffiti and consider it a "painted mural".

I would certainly love the cheaper prices of Melbourne, but I don't agree it is necessary to live by the Harbour or Palm Beach in Sydney. Actually Palm Beach doesn't look that expensive anyway, northern beach suburbs nearer the city are pricier as far as I can tell.

We wanted to go to Melbourne before we moved over, it has crafted a good image but it wasn't an option work wise for the OH. So I wanted to make it our weekend favourite get away place, we have visited a few times since, really tried to like it, but I find it an ugly, dirty, grungy city. I do want to like it and wish I did, but I just can't find any redeeming features. Well the coffee is nice, you don't get a bad coffee in Melbourne. I find the people really annoying, they try to be quirky with fashion and wear stupid hats and generally just look ridiculous, trying too hard.

I spat my coffee out when I read the Melbourne "culture" piece which mentioned "painted murals", we went to the so called trendy chic city suburbs when we were last three and it was even dirtier than the rest of the place and covered in graffiti. I am probably not arty enough to admire graffiti and consider it a "painted mural".

You are definitely a Sydney person and so not Melbourne Rupert, I don't usually get personal but I am imagining you in Melbourne lol.

Grungy and dirty the look of the bricks I guess but its a clean city unlike Sydney which tends to be quite scruffy.

Also I guess you would miss the RSL clubs and things that Sydney people love.

I loved Sydney I lived in Neutral Bay with a view to the Opera House and got the ferry to work in Pitt Street, but any further out was dire.

You are definitely a Sydney person and so not Melbourne Rupert, I don't usually get personal but I am imagining you in Melbourne lol.

Grungy and dirty the look of the bricks I guess but its a clean city unlike Sydney which tends to be quite scruffy.

Also I guess you would miss the RSL clubs and things that Sydney people love.

I loved Sydney I lived in Neutral Bay with a view to the Opera House and got the ferry to work in Pitt Street, but any further out was dire.

No, I would not be seen dead in a RSL club, I'd rather gauge my eyeballs out. So you haven't got the measure of me at all. :wink:

Is there any reporter anywhere that doesn't carry a bias?

The only way to answer this for yourself is to live and work in each for a few years.

Only then can you make the decision of which is better for you.

Although your answer may well be different (for different reasons) to that of your neighbour.

Personally it's Melbourne hands down for me as a repeat traveller to both. Sydney beaches obviously win and for first time visitors you need to see Sydney harbour.

I find the city itself kind of dirty and unfriendly compared to Melbourne.

Having lived in Sydney and visited Melbourne quite often, I think it's a good comparison.

The only bit I would disagree with is the weather. I found Sydney uncomfortably humid in summer and I appreciate the more distinct seasonal changes of Melbourne. Having said that, I wouldn't be too fond of the extreme heat which seems to be occurring more frequently in Melbourne summers either.

Guest spreadingwings
I spat my coffee out when I read the Melbourne "culture" piece which mentioned "painted murals" ... I am probably not arty enough to admire graffiti and consider it a "painted mural".

Hahaha. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? :)

Archived