What visa and skills assessment do I need??

Guest Linda21

Guest Linda21

Hi, this is my first time posting. We are just in the initial stages of immigration and are trying to do it ourselves instead of through an agency. The problem is which visa and which skills assessment?

I'm a qualified teacher having done a 3 year degree and 2 year PGCE in Early Years and Primary Education, however I have not completed my NQT (which I know is only really required in the UK) as I can't find a post, but have worked on supply now for 2 years. Early Childhood (Pre-primary) teachers are on the SOL as well as the CSOL and primary teachers are on the CSOL. I do believe the best visa would be a 457 but any advice other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I've just pulled my qualifications together to send away for a skills assessment, but where do they go - AITSL, NOOSR, ACECQA or VETASSESS?? I thought they'd go to AITSL but now not so sure - maybe they have to go to more than one place?

My husband is a Driving Instructor with 2 years experience and he's on the CSOL too. Could he apply for the visa?

Any help and advice would be appreciated as I really don't want to employ an agency with this.

457 is an employer sponsored temp visa. The 189 if occupation is on sol or 190 if occupation on sol or csol which requires state nomination are the visas to look at.

I think poss south Australia were sponsoring driving instructors??

Best place to start would be running your case past registered migration agent to see if you are eligible.

If you want to emigrate then the 457 is not the best visa, it is the worst visa. It is also quite unlikely that you would find a school to sponsor you as teaching posts are hard to find here too for primary. You should look at the 189 or 190 visa and look into the skills assessment for teachers. It may be that you won't have enough experience to pass it, but you won't know until you have a read about it.

Hi, this is my first time posting. We are just in the initial stages of immigration and are trying to do it ourselves instead of through an agency. The problem is which visa and which skills assessment?

I'm a qualified teacher having done a 3 year degree and 2 year PGCE in Early Years and Primary Education, however I have not completed my NQT (which I know is only really required in the UK) as I can't find a post, but have worked on supply now for 2 years. Early Childhood (Pre-primary) teachers are on the SOL as well as the CSOL and primary teachers are on the CSOL. I do believe the best visa would be a 457 but any advice other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I've just pulled my qualifications together to send away for a skills assessment, but where do they go - AITSL, NOOSR, ACECQA or VETASSESS?? I thought they'd go to AITSL but now not so sure - maybe they have to go to more than one place?

My husband is a Driving Instructor with 2 years experience and he's on the CSOL too. Could he apply for the visa?

Any help and advice would be appreciated as I really don't want to employ an agency with this.

May I suggest that you consult a registered migration agent to develop a strategy, or undertake more homework before you commit to a course of action?

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz

Due to the fact that you haven't made any mention of working full time as a teacher rather as a supply teacher I wouldn't advise applying for any skills assessment yet. One of the main requirements is 45 days supervised teaching as well (I'm not sure if you have done that or not.)

Agreed all around that the 457 is not the best visa route. I would look into your partner applying for the 190 state sponsorship visa as a driving instructor 451211. He's occupation is in group D. http://www.vetassess.com.au/migrate_to_australia/qa2_nominating_occupation.cfm [Control F and copy the ANZSCO code 451211 in the search bar] and you can see the level of qualification he needs next to his work xp.)

Kind regards

Guest Linda21

Thanks for your advice Ryan the wizard of Oz, as part of my PGCE I completed 65 days supervised teaching practice. Im just unsure now if I should apply as an Early Years teacher or a primary teacher, as I probably have a stronger case for the latter, as my quals match their requirements more closely. Although my husband is a driving instructor unfortunately he does not have HE qualifications, although he has 2 years work experience to date as a Driving Instructor, but probably wouldn't get enough points. Aagh!! My head is going to explode shortly.

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
Thanks for your advice Ryan the wizard of Oz, as part of my PGCE I completed 65 days supervised teaching practice. Im just unsure now if I should apply as an Early Years teacher or a primary teacher, as I probably have a stronger case for the latter, as my quals match their requirements more closely. Although my husband is a driving instructor unfortunately he does not have HE qualifications, although he has 2 years work experience to date as a Driving Instructor, but probably wouldn't get enough points. Aagh!! My head is going to explode shortly.

Hey Linda,

Does he have any qualification in another industry? I'm not sure what HE qualifications are lol. Depending on the level of work experience it doesn't always need to be directly related to the nominated occupation. That's fine btw regarding the supervised teaching you did [thumbs up.] If you're qualification is matched to primary school teacher you will have to build up some work experience in that role, reason being is it's on the CSOL list which will require state sponsorship and many states hold their own work experience requirements.

Archived