Work from home in Oz (but employed by UK-based company)

Mick Davidson

Hello everybody,

We're slowly working on our plans to get me out to Oz on a fiance/marriage visa, but what if...

What if I was employed by a UK-based company, but actually living in Oz? What sort of visa would I need if I did this and didn't get the fiance visa. Would it be any easier to get or am I better off getting married as planned?

Another question I have is, what happens when you arrive at the airport in Oz with your brand new hot-in-the-hand visa? If I was coming as a tourist, I know what happens. But do you get special treatment, are you ushered into a special room where a local dignitary bids you welcome? Or do you just queue up with all the tourists as normal? Obviously I'm anticipating a lot here. :)

Thanks in advance for your responses, Mick.

You queue up just like everyone else.

You wouldn't be able to work for your uk company here unless you had another visa allowing you to. You can't do it on a tourist visa and you can't get a work visa to do it.

Your best bet would be to carry on with the partner visa, then once you have a visa allowing you to work you are all good. Remember though, if you are living here permanently you will be a resident for tax purposes and have to pay tax on your earnings here in oz.

Hello everybody,

We're slowly working on our plans to get me out tko Oz on a fiance/marriage visa, but what if...

What if I was employed by a UK-based company, but actually living in Oz? What sort of visa would I need if I did this and didn't get the fiance visa. Would it be any easier to get or am I better off getting married as planned?

Another question I have is, what happens when you arrive at the airport in Oz with your brand new hot-in-the-hand visa? If I was coming as a tourist, I know what happens. But do you get special treatment, are you ushered into a special room where a local dignitary bids you welcome? Or do you just queue up with all the tourists as normal? Obviously I'm anticipating a lot here. :)

Thanks in advance for your responses, Mick.

Are you taking the Mick?

Archived