189 visa info?

kenny86

Hi all. Really considering moving to oz as im sick of birmingham! Ive briefly worked here before and am currently here with my wife and 3 children in brizzy on a 3 week holiday. I have a few questions but will start with the visa first! Im 27 and my wifes 24 and we both have a trade on the SOL so was thinking of going for the 189 visa. Does anyone know how long this one takes and what would the best/quickest migration agent to use? Also, does anyone know if id have to take australian tests as ive heard uk qualifications are not same standard as oz? (class 1 welder) Thanks in advance guys.

I've submitted my EOI for a 189 Visa last week. As a teacher, I had to get my qualifications assessed by the Australian teaching authority. I also sat my IELTS test so I had more 60 points min for the visa.

I've not bothered using a migration agent as it's just myself that's applying.

How does the assessment work? Can it be done in the uk or does it have to be done in oz? And by the sounds of it I take it has to be done before you submit an application? Im one of the lazy ones that would rather pay to have it done properly than make a pigs ear of it!

I had to send my undergraduate degree certificate (showing exactly what modules I had studied), my teaching certificate (showing modules studied, age of pupils taught and how many hours I spent on placement), a letter from my work saying how long I had been employed (not sure that was actually needed), copy of birth certificate, passport sized photo. Everything needs to be certified. I also had to send a letter in from my solicitor too saying he had seen all the original documents. It took about 10 weeks for me to get the approval. You'll find info about your assessing body on the website.

The occupation of Welder First Class is assessed in the UK under the Offshore Skills Assessment Program (OSAP) by 3 RTOs -Australian Construction Training Services, VETASSESS and Victoria University. If you want to submit an EOI for a 189 visa, you must have a positive skills assessment, at least 60 points on the points test and IELTS results for the level of English you are claiming on the points test.

http://www.innovation.gov.au/Skills/SkillsAssessment/TradesRecognitionAustralia/OffshoreSkillsAssessment/Pages/default.aspx OSAP

Many 189 visas are granted within only a few months of submitting an EOI - under SkillSelect, visas don't take nearly as long as used to be the case.

No agent can get you a visa that you're not eligible for and nor can they speed the process (except perhaps by preventing you from going down blind avenues and making mistakes that cause setbacks). If you don't feel confident doing everything yourself, by all means use an agent but many people manage the whole process by themselves. If you do use an agent, make sure you get first hand recommendations from other PIO members before you choose one.

Its roughly 9 months at the moment end to end according to my agent. First steps are all paperwork to be certified and sent for assessment, birth certs, qualifications, references etc. then you submit to the agency that assesses you, and you wait a few months for that. then if you get an invite to apply that when the main application goes in with medicals and police checks etc.

There are some good agents recommended on here, most if you give them a call, will let you know if you have a good chance. Make sure they're MARA registered.

Hi Bissy

I noticed you had great ITELS scores. Im planning on undertaking my IELTS soon and need to get final score of 8 for additional points. Can I ask did you complete or follow a preparation programme? Any tips how to achieve a good result?

Hi Sue

I just read all the information on the British Council IELTS preparation website. When I booked my test there was a link on my confirmation email that took me to a revision section that had examples of reading, writing, speaking and listening tests so I worked through those. I also watched the video clips on the revision section as it gave you tips on how to answer questions.

I also googled "IELTS test papers" and came across loads more example papers. The reading ones I found were a lot harder than the actual paper on the day.

Hi Bissy

I noticed you had great ITELS scores. Im planning on undertaking my IELTS soon and need to get final score of 8 for additional points. Can I ask did you complete or follow a preparation programme? Any tips how to achieve a good result?

I didn't realise that they go with your lowest score for points. My friend got R - 9, L - 9, S - 8.5 W - 7.5 which is an overall of 8 I think but when it was entered into his EOI he was only awarded 10 points and not 20 because his lowest mark was 7.5. So overall score doesn't matter it's your lowest score they look at.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
Hi all. Really considering moving to oz as im sick of birmingham! Ive briefly worked here before and am currently here with my wife and 3 children in brizzy on a 3 week holiday. I have a few questions but will start with the visa first! Im 27 and my wifes 24 and we both have a trade on the SOL so was thinking of going for the 189 visa. Does anyone know how long this one takes and what would the best/quickest migration agent to use? Also, does anyone know if id have to take australian tests as ive heard uk qualifications are not same standard as oz? (class 1 welder) Thanks in advance guys.

Hey Kenny,

As was mentioned before Migration agents don't play a major role in how long it takes for the visa application to be approved however they can of course effect how long it takes to get the application together for submission which is helpful. I would say that the 190 State sponsorship visa (which is almost identical to the 189) is a slightly faster processing time. Also you may actually require the extra 5pts that come with state sponsorship as well depending on your circumstances.

Looks good though; you're in the highest scoring age bracket 25-32 (30pts) and your occupations been on the SOL list for some time so that would suggest there's a decent amount of demand there.

Kind regards

I understand an application process takes as long as it takes but when I say best/quickest migration agent I mean exactly that. I understand that an agent cant make the process any quicker but I also know that there are companies the world over who are better/quicker than others in their field of expertise. I didnt think id have to state the obvious but Ive spoken to someone (very briefly) who said they found out that their application was delayed by up to 2 months due to errors in paperwork and generally lazy migration agent. This is what I meant by best/quickest agent.

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz

Of course,

Sorry for having to make you state the obvious. There are many people who have misconceptions regarding what an agent does and doesn't influence. (Better to be safe then sorry right!) To be honest I don't know too much about other MARA agents and how they perform but in general they tend to have a good reputation and work to a high standard. I think you should speak to a few and get a feel for who you think can get the job done, quickly and efficiently.

Kind regards

Archived