time is ticking, any ideas!

barbieshrimp

Wondering you know of anyone in same position as us.

Husband is 41 year old uk police officer with 17 years service and wife and two kids, trying to find a route to a visa to Australia. With no international recruitment drives at present we looked at permanent resident visa. South Australia Police said they would consider an application from us if we held a pr visa. To get a 190 we need state nomination but police officer is not on any state lists at present. Can anyone suggest where we go from here...help much appreciated. We were hoping for Adelaide but looking everywhere now. Surely there must be other cops out there with many years service wanting to leave the low moral of police in the uk and gloomy skies!! Everyones thoughts and comments are appreciated.

We are off to Down Under Live at Birmingham to try to find answers.

Hi, I am in the same situation all be it a different occupation. You the same as me have 2 choice for state sponsorship. Police officer is on ACT list of closed occupations, however the state will sponsor if you are able to obtain a job offer. The other is the NT..they too will sponsor for occupations on the CSOL even if they do not appear on the state list again as long as you can obtain a job offer. The other is employer sponsorship. IMHO if you are able to secure a job offer you would be better to try for the state sponsorship rather than the 457 as with state sponsorship you automatically gain permanent residency.

Have a read through ACT & NT stipulations, where there's a will there's a way so they say!

Good luck

Claire

Hi, I am in the same situation all be it a different occupation. You the same as me have 2 choice for state sponsorship. Police officer is on ACT list of closed occupations, however the state will sponsor if you are able to obtain a job offer. The other is the NT..they too will sponsor for occupations on the CSOL even if they do not appear on the state list again as long as you can obtain a job offer. The other is employer sponsorship. IMHO if you are able to secure a job offer you would be better to try for the state sponsorship rather than the 457 as with state sponsorship you automatically gain permanent residency.

Have a read through ACT & NT stipulations, where there's a will there's a way so they say!

Good luck

Claire

So you have a positive vetassess, was this easy to submit or do you have a migration agent doing it. We are about to submit vetassess request, what documents do they ask for?

I do not have an agent I did the Vetassess process myself. It is easy enough, just make sure you read the website for what exactly you need to send. I believe the process has changed now...I had to send all my documents by post to Australia, as far as I am aware you can now just upload documents direct to Vetasses...much easier and quicker. My documents took 2 week to arrive.

I sent 2 colour photographs...certified (a nurse certified these for me)

My birth certificate (As my passport is still currently in my maiden name) of course you can sent passport instead of birth certificate.

10 years worth of P60's (I have been with the same employer for 10 years)

3 x payslips for each year for 10 years

I also did a statutory declaration as I did not want to ask my employer for a reference.

Up to date CV - tweaked a little and to Vetassess specifications ( All info on their website)

A copy of my job description on headed paper

My employment contract

I think that's about it....I had all of the above certified at my local county court, a JP did these all free for me. Drop your county court an email see if they can do the same for you...will save you a fortune in solicitor fees

Let me know if you need anything further...happy to help

Claire

At the moment, there is little chance if none of the states are sponsoring. We have had a number of members enquire with the same issue recently. However, WA have been doing a big recruitment drive here and my guess is that once that is complete, they will decide if they need to look at international candidates.

The only other thing i can think of doing is to contact all of the forces directly.

Thanks for your comments. Husband applied during WAs last recruitment drive but didnt get in, with 17 years service we are hoping that wasnt the reason his application was declined. Some think WA only wanted cops with under 7 years service even though it was open to any length of service. We will keep searching for a way in. We wish SA Police would recruit internationally, its been a while.

Archived