Crown Removals - Not happy about upfront AQUIS fees

eddix99

Hi All,

We are currently getting quotes for a 40ft container with household goods and car to Adelaide.

We have asked Crown to give a quote but they are charging £1000 for upfront AQUIS fees for 1360sqft of stuff + a car.

This seems way too expensive to me and I have queries it. Having a look around the forums I can see that people can expect to pay several hundred aud to get their goods through customs but £1000 is extortionate.

Can anyone give some advice on whether I should show them the door or not.

Thanks

Guest Guest62720

I am a Director of Insure Your Move and another thread was very recently created in regard to this subject

We understand there is no set charge or cost as such per shipment but the fee is totally dependent on whether your goods are inspected, what is inspected, what's approved (or not) and what treatment (cleaning process) may be necessary to clean the offending items(s).

Paying an upfront fee does seems inappropriate especially if your goods are given a cursory inspection but there is some good postings from other PIO members in regard to this subject.

Our findings to date is that the receiving mover in Australia will normally charge you this fee once they have received the invoice from AQIS as part of their overall destination services but we strongly recommend you ask for a sight of the actual AQIS fee.

Obviously, other PIO members who have moved to OZ and have paid the fee would be most welcomed.

It is probably more than You will be charged. Basically it is insurance if they are saying that is all you will be charged full stop.

pay upfront a fixed fee or pay the actual charges at the time which could be more if your container is inspected and they pick something up. As with everything read the small print.

Im pretty sure when we got our quote from Crown this was an option not compulsory.

as is the insurance they offer, you will get the same cover cheaper from Insure Your Move or Letton Percival.

Crown got back in touch and it seems that we can bypass the Upfront AQUIS fees. Just waiting on the final nod. I think we'll be using IYM for insurance so will be in touch shortly.

I'm just scouring the forums for reviews of agents but it seems that there are as many bad stories as good stories. This seems to be the nature of shipping.

Thanks for the replies

I'm using crown and they included the AQUIS fee for a 20ft container of around £300. A fee will be payable using any company for the inspection, it's just most don't include it initially. All other companies did not include the charge but said it would be in excess of $500, so basically the bill you get at the other end could be anything over this, which I felt was an added risk. I know that paying £300 now the fee is now paid, any other charges are only if they find something on inspection.

You are paying more for a 40ft container plus a car, so this makes sense that your inspection fee is higher. However, don't expect it to be less than £1k when you arrive, it could easily be more, that's the risk you take not buying now. Also, it is only the inspection fee, you will also pay more if they find anything.

Guest Guest 47403
I'm using crown and they included the AQUIS fee for a 20ft container of around £300. A fee will be payable using any company for the inspection, it's just most don't include it initially. All other companies did not include the charge but said it would be in excess of $500, so basically the bill you get at the other end could be anything over this, which I felt was an added risk. I know that paying £300 now the fee is now paid, any other charges are only if they find something on inspection.

You are paying more for a 40ft container plus a car, so this makes sense that your inspection fee is higher. However, don't expect it to be less than £1k when you arrive, it could easily be more, that's the risk you take not buying now. Also, it is only the inspection fee, you will also pay more if they find anything.

How much was your quote in total for a 20ft container with the Aquis fees? I have crown coming out Monday just wondering what to expect, we had PSS out earlier this week and without Aquis fees it was £3670.

The problem I have with this is that AQUIS will invoice Crown for the fees. If they decided to delve a little further into your container then the costs are going to go up. This is not necessarily so and as such I can't stomach a fixed fee for something that could be as little as a couple of hundred AUD, where we have been charged £1000 sterling.

My AQUIS fees are going to be a bit over the norm because I have a car and a 40ft container but others with less have said their aquis was around $3-500 AUD, even if mine came out at $1000 AUD then its still £550 or so and not £1000.

I want transparency in this situation.

The problem I have with this is that AQUIS will invoice Crown for the fees. If they decided to delve a little further into your container then the costs are going to go up. This is not necessarily so and as such I can't stomach a fixed fee for something that could be as little as a couple of hundred AUD, where we have been charged £1000 sterling.

My AQUIS fees are going to be a bit over the norm because I have a car and a 40ft container but others with less have said their aquis was around $3-500 AUD, even if mine came out at $1000 AUD then its still £550 or so and not £1000.

I want transparency in this situation.

for the 20 ft i got the quote is aud 550 -650

40ft aud 750-850

some friends pay 550 for 20ft

200 for 76 boxes

not sure mine

Archived