Would you ship it or sell it?

Aunt Agatha

First world problem I know but we have a nice library bookcase that we had made and we love it. It cost $2,000 so not cheap but not super special like an antique for example. If we didn't ship it we could make do with a movecube http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/shipping/movecube but if we take it we'll have to get part of container which I'm guessing will cost more. I would want to replace it with something similar in the UK as I have mountains of books (which are being shipped).

What would you do?

Ha ha, we've had 10 great years but the folks need us back home. It's hard to know for sure re shipping costs as we're just guesstimating at the moment but it seems that the difference would be around $1,500.

I think I'm having a bit of a flap about what to take generally. I'm usually pretty sensible but this move can feel a quite overwhelming.

Think about how much you could sell it for here, as the price realised (plus the extra shipping cost saved) could pay for an equally good or better piece to be made in the UK. Also is it so big that you may struggle to fit it into a typical UK house (particularly if you're moving into a cottage or similar)? Ceilings can be lower, doorways can be smaller etc, would be gutting to go to the expense of taking it back then not being able to fit it into your house!

If you're unsure about it, then probably best to think about it practically.

Thanks four corners, that's a good point - I'm sure that the sale price + shipping cost would = a nice bookcase in the UK. I wouldn't buy somewhere with low ceilings as DH is tall and would hate it but we might have to rent somewhere like that in the short term which would mean storage costs - which in turn would make it a very expensive bookcase indeed!

Interesting that you wouldn't bother shipping furniture again WolvesAussie. I'm really keen on the cubes - were you happy with them and the service etc?

• 2 weeks later...

You could always ship it separately. There are plenty of companies who would ship such a regular piece of furniture. They'll knock up a protective frame for it, which isn't as expensive as you might think. It's hardly a carpenter's job. :)

Depending on how it's contructed you might be able to dismantle it a bit. Or if you have to pay the full volumetric price, pack it full of clothes and other stuff.

You need to talk to a shipping company before you decide to leave it behind.

Archived