Coped a driving offence with just a week to go to OZ...

Guest WillieM

Guest WillieM

Anybody been in the situation of getting a driving offence just before immigrating? Managed to get a ticket with a standard £60 fine for crossing a solid white line. Bummer...

If I send my paper licence off I'll not get it back before leaving the country, If I ignore it will I have interpol knocking on the door in WA??

What would you do????

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Willie

I'd ask Phil Olsen, who posts on here. He is a Registered Migration Agent and he is not a drip. I'd PM or e-mail him and get his opinion about how to deal with this one. It certainty wouldn't affect the validity of your visa - it is far too trivial for that.

I think my own instinct would be to go to Oz with your UK licence showing as clean, and get your Oz licence. That ought to be clean anyway, because you did not commit the offence in Australia. Then send the UK one back here for endorsement because you won't need that to drive in Oz anyway. However, Interplod wouldn't knock on your door even if you ignore the whole thing - far too expensive and this offence is de minimis. The cops have got their sticky little claws on your money - another £60 towards their Christsmas Knees Up, no doubt. Now that they've got the dosh, they're too bone-idle to fill in any of the follow up forms anyway, I strongly suspect.

I don't think I'd necessarily even reveal it for an insurance proposal in Oz, because the offence was not committed in Oz, but I would definitely find out Phil's view about this one, because Oz rules about car-insurance are very much stricter than ours. According to my sister, if your blood-alcohol is even a microgram above the limit, the car insurance (even for third party) is automatically either void or voidable in the event of a prang. I dunno whether she's right, but this is what she has told me for the last 25 years. I think the feeling in the UK is that it is contrary to public policy to let Underwriters skedaddle out of indemnifying in this scenario, because they can load the premium in future years instead.

You need to ask someone who knows more about the minutiae of Australian car insurance than I do. I reckon that Phil and also Tim, the Administrator, would be good guys to consult about this.

Good luck with it

Gill

Anybody been in the situation of getting a driving offence just before immigrating? Managed to get a ticket with a standard £60 fine for crossing a solid white line. Bummer...

If I send my paper licence off I'll not get it back before leaving the country, If I ignore it will I have interpol knocking on the door in WA??

What would you do????

My husband had a letter arrive this morning for speeding. Got caught on a speed camera doing 35 mph in a 30 mph, got 3 points and a £60 fine. As we still haven't received our visa's we’ve had to send in a 1022 form to let DIMA know. What a pain!!!!! It did say on our letter for speeding that if we were going on holiday and needed our driving licence to state this in writing when submitting his licence and his licence will be processed and returned within 24 hours from date of receipt. We have got 28 days to pay and send back his licence. From now on I’m doing all the driving :D

Stacey xx

Guest Alison1967

I only took in my plastic piece of my uk licence as have one speeding fine on it, they just note your no. and then you get your aussie licence.

They give you a month to admit it was you, then a month to pay the notice.

Decisions Decisions, good luck with yours :D

Ali x

Guest Phil Olsen

Hi Willie

You'll be fine from a Migration perspective - even if this was prior to application, it is a minor offence and does not impact on character checks.

with your Oz licence, should also be ok, there are plenty of traffic affences here, believe me, lots of cameras to take your photo and charge you for the privelage

Best wishes

Phil

Archived