Cost of Living Melbourne Suburbs

Guest And_and_Debs

Guest And_and_Debs

Hi All

Can anyone help me.

I'm trying to get a rough idea on how much I would need to earn to support a family of 4 whilst living in Melbourne/Melbourne Suburbs.

I've been offered a job on a 457 - salary will be about $80K p.a. and I know the cost of private medical insurance will be $390 per month. Rent about $2K per month, but it's with the utility bills etc where I really don't know a reasonable amount to budget. Also what about weekly shopping ? Is it really that much more expensive than here in the UK ?

I'm worried that the salary will not be enough to live on.....help !!!

Thanks in advance.

:spinny:

Guest Les & Woz
Hi All

Can anyone help me.

I'm trying to get a rough idea on how much I would need to earn to support a family of 4 whilst living in Melbourne/Melbourne Suburbs.

I've been offered a job on a 457 - salary will be about $80K p.a. and I know the cost of private medical insurance will be $390 per month. Rent about $2K per month, but it's with the utility bills etc where I really don't know a reasonable amount to budget. Also what about weekly shopping ? Is it really that much more expensive than here in the UK ?

I'm worried that the salary will not be enough to live on.....help !!!

Thanks in advance.

:spinny:

Hi there

I was in Melbourne in Oct 07 and to be honest didn't find things were more expensive than here - as in food, clothes, going out, etc. Fuel for the car was cheaper (not massively cheaper) and I know that the utility bills aren't as high as here. I would base costs on what you pay here then you can't go wrong. The only things I saw that seemed more expensive were electrical goods such as washing machines, fridge/freezers, etc. but if you are renting at first you won't have to rush out and buy all these items anyway.

Hope that helps a bit.

Les :v_SPIN:

Guest peppa

hello

we are in brisbane soon to be melbourne we have found that food shopping is more expensive than the uk. we are a family of 6.

$80pa is a good wage but it depends on where you are looking to live?

Guest Les & Woz
hello

we are in brisbane soon to be melbourne we have found that food shopping is more expensive than the uk. we are a family of 6.

$80pa is a good wage but it depends on where you are looking to live?

Hi Peppa

Why are you moving from Brissie to Melbourne?

Les

Guest And_and_Debs

Hi Peppa

Thanks for the information - how much do you roughly spend on food each week/month ?

We've not really decided on an area of Melbourne just yet - if possible we'd like to live close to the coast - perhaps Mornington - it looks ok there.

I'm thinking of perhaps renting somewhere first in the city, and then scouting around to find a good area - do you know of any ?

Guest peppa
Hi Peppa

Why are you moving from Brissie to Melbourne?

Les

Hi

we moved oer the begining of feb this year, my OH is on a work contract here till may the his job is in melbourne, melbourne is where we were always going to go its just this contract came up and it was to good to turn down!

:smile:

Guest peppa
Hi Peppa

Thanks for the information - how much do you roughly spend on food each week/month ?

We've not really decided on an area of Melbourne just yet - if possible we'd like to live close to the coast - perhaps Mornington - it looks ok there.

I'm thinking of perhaps renting somewhere first in the city, and then scouting around to find a good area - do you know of any ?

hi

we done a week shop on saturday at coles and it cost $423!! :arghh:now we did have to get things like nappies, shampoos, washing liquid you know non edible stuff and they are really not cheap here. I have heard that if you go to 'meat markets' and 'fruit markets' you save a lot so when we get to melbourne we are going to shop for meat on a monthly basis and freeze it, that should help the bill!

We done A LOT of research on areas to live before we came out, we then done several weekend recci's to the areas on our short list and ruled them all out!!!!! we always liked the sound of mornington but considered it to far for my OH to commute to the cbd, but we stayed there on one of our weekend trips and fell in love with it, we move there on the 5th april! OH is prepared to do the hour + commute for the lifestyle we will have.

what areas are you looking at?

x

Guest rishy135

Hi just in melbourne at mo (on a reccy) have found things to be a little dearer on things ie; a coke and mars bar from petrol station $6, a descent meal $20-$30. cars to buy seem a little dear? a car in the uk 24,000 here $48000 but the wages arent twice as much. abeer ranges between $6 and $10 a schooner (nearly a pint) a pack of beer costs $30 (im not an alcoholic just wanted to know every day prices) houses in the good areas are scarey! we are going to buy into an area called patterson lakes you can get an ok house $500,000+ but still you have to commute. frankston (no disrespect to any one) isnt very nice. mornington is bloody miles away from cbd! and doing that every day for over 6 months im sure would get you down, but after all this grim thinking... i have found it to be dearer, the drivers are cut throat, it financially does not to work out to live here,you earn more in the uk .i came here 5% wanting to emigrate but now 95% want to live here.but... i love it !!!!!!!!! should be here in sept time when house is complete!!! good luck.

Guest And_and_Debs

Oh my god !!!! How expensive....$423 for a weekly shop.....$10 for a beer....now I'm really worried.....:sad:

How on earth do people afford to survive in Australia ? I was thinking of budgeting of about $1000 a month for food, etc, but not sure now whether this is enough....when you consider that the salaries are half of those in the UK and living costs seem to be double.....I can't make the numbers add up:arghh:

I guess the thing is that you just naturally adjust to the higher cost of living and perhaps sacrifice elsewhere ?

Areas I was looking into are definitely the Mornington Penisula...I know it's a long way from the CBD but the nature of the job I've been offered means that I won't need to commute daily so I'm hoping that this should work quite well.

I understand that there is no direct train from Mornington instead this is from Frankston.

That said, I'm still researching and not sure best place....not sure now that this is such a good idea after all too.....

I was 95% for going, but each day (and now this bombshell) seems to swing it for 95% staying in the uk....please help me I want to be sure that this is the right thing to do....do you really get a better way of life...even though it seems that the purse strings are a lot tighter !!!!

Guest THE JONEZYS

We are in Mornington.

You will be looking at around $400 a week for a rental down here.....that will get you something nice with 4 beds.

Try this link for food shopping.

Welcome to Woolworths

Utility bills are cheaper than UK, as is petrol.

A slab of beer (24) will cost around $40 depending on what it is!

I find it much cheaper to buy my meat from the butchers, the quality is excellent. The price of veggies goes up & down but you can usually get a good deal if you shop around or if you use the produce stores rather than the supermarket!

Lesley

We came back from our reccie a few weeks ago now and we never paid anything like $20 to $30 for a decent meal. We found eating out to be a lot cheaper. Four of us went out to a restaurant one day and had a main meal each (huge) 2 drinks each and one pudding. It came to $70 and it was top notch snap!! We ate it outside watching the world go by.

As with anywhere you visit, some places are more expensive. We were lucky that we had our hosts to take us to the places they have already sussed out. Its trial and error I'm afraid.

I wouldn't even try to work a detailed budget out until you get there. There are so many hidden gems in the form of meat wholesalers and fruit and veg markets.

A slab of beer was more expensive than in the UK, but the grog shops have offers on from time to time and thats when you stock up. I found wine to be comparible to the UK.

Cars are dearer in Oz, but they hold their price for second hand, unlike in the UK where you lose money as soon as you drive out of the showroom.

And as for the driving - not a problem as far as we were concerned. Far worse happens on the roads here in Rotherham and I mean that sincerely.

To sum up, for us, we are a lot less worried about things than we were before we went.

T x

Guest And_and_Debs

Hi All

Many thanks for all of the advice and tips so far.

It's really appreciated and has helped calm my nerves a bit....I guess I'm just getting cold feet the nearer it gets.....:smile:

Thanks once more and all the best for the future to you all

Guest rishy135

i to got here but only 5% wanted to live here ,came here to put the idea out of my wifes head! looked at wages and cost of living and freaked out!!!!!!!! it does seem totally impratical to live here when financially you are better off in england. But having calmed down a little and sat down doing some maths you can live ok down here (still here till fri) and looking at the way the uk is heading i think its the best thing you can do. its daunting but after spending a little time here im 100% its the right thing to do.

good luck

Archived