Snotty noses, mental health, nursing and other things

Simma

Hi all, I have just joined an wondered if I might be able to get abut of advice on the "big decision" :biggrin:

Im 31 with 4 kids aged, 13, 6, 3 and 6 months....I'm sick of dealing with snotty noses every week as one ends another begins it's costing me a fortune in Kleenex so, I'm thinking a change of climate and an adventure is possibly the way forward.

I'm a mental health nurse and work full time and will have 3yrs experience in June..I'm thinking by the time the process is in progress next September will be hopefully on our way.

I work full time and get child tax credit and help with child care cost s, I'm not living the champagne lifestyle but we are ok. My main concerns are

1, that from viewing other threads the nursing wage in oz is considered quite low I think around 51,000 I know they have a Yearly increment as we do here however

2, on a 457 I would have to pay education fees x4, this makes me nervy as I don't want to be over there on the breadline.

3,if I were to opt for a PR visa I know I wouldn't have to pay school fees but where do I stand with the uk if I wanted to return?

I don't have any savings so I would rely on any job I had to get by on, I'm not frivolous with money but I don't want my kids to know what it's like to struggle, is it doable dya think?

Hi all, I have just joined an wondered if I might be able to get abut of advice on the "big decision" :biggrin:

Im 31 with 4 kids aged, 13, 6, 3 and 6 months....I'm sick of dealing with snotty noses every week as one ends another begins it's costing me a fortune in Kleenex so, I'm thinking a change of climate and an adventure is possibly the way forward.

I'm a mental health nurse and work full time and will have 3yrs experience in June..I'm thinking by the time the process is in progress next September will be hopefully on our way.

I work full time and get child tax credit and help with child care cost s, I'm not living the champagne lifestyle but we are ok. My main concerns are

1, that from viewing other threads the nursing wage in oz is considered quite low I think around 51,000 I know they have a Yearly increment as we do here however

2, on a 457 I would have to pay education fees x4, this makes me nervy as I don't want to be over there on the breadline.

3,if I were to opt for a PR visa I know I wouldn't have to pay school fees but where do I stand with the uk if I wanted to return?

I don't have any savings so I would rely on any job I had to get by on, I'm not frivolous with money but I don't want my kids to know what it's like to struggle, is it doable dya think?

Do you think people don't get colds over here?

Colds have nothing to do with climate, flu season was a whopper last year!!!

With regards to your PR question, it makes no difference at all for you in regards to the UK, you are a British citizen I presume?

You would be a little mad to come over on anything less than PR as you would have to pay school fees for all four children (depending on your state) and would miss out on many benefits which you presently receive.Child care costs are expensive. If you are a single parent you will need the permission of the children's Father/ Mother to take them out of the country.

Ta Sammy, you have confirmed my madness for me, I was thinking the PR would be safer bet over 457 but was just not certain what if any assistance I would be eligible for plus I don't want to be thought of as "scrounging" of the benefits system over there.

my snotty nose comment was quite tongue in cheek, I am wholly aware of the ability to catch a cold in a warm country, my nan lives in Jamaica and does not escape it.

as for permission I think their dad will be cool we are not together but in the name of adventure and broadening his kids horizons I think he would support me...

Ta Sammy, you have confirmed my madness for me, I was thinking the PR would be safer bet over 457 but was just not certain what if any assistance I would be eligible for plus I don't want to be thought of as "scrounging" of the benefits system over there.

my snotty nose comment was quite tongue in cheek, I am wholly aware of the ability to catch a cold in a warm country, my nan lives in Jamaica and does not escape it.

as for permission I think their dad will be cool we are not together but in the name of adventure and broadening his kids horizons I think he would support me...

Ok, as a single parent then my serious advice for you is to go down the PR route. It will take longer but it will be worth it for security. Take into consideration that you will not have the support networks that you may have at home.Bringing four children from the UK to the other side of the world on your own is a big deal.

Aha...so it's crap an I'm gunna catch a cold anyway...myt as well stay at home then lol

regardless of funding, I really think the staff make the difference to how successful a service is, where do you work flathead?

Aha...so it's crap an I'm gunna catch a cold anyway...myt as well stay at home then lol

regardless of funding, I really think the staff make the difference to how successful a service is, where do you work flathead?

I work in nurse education in Queensland. If you are interested in your career I suggest you stay put....if you don't care and want to work in a custodial medicalised service then fill your boots

I'm very interested in my job I love mental health, I have worked in the same place since qualifying and can see the shortfalls in the service and suppose its easy to pick holes in services all over the world but it's not enough for me to stay put. You must have lots of experience being in the position you're in if it's the case that you have that view why have you stayed?

I'm very interested in my job I love mental health, I have worked in the same place since qualifying and can see the shortfalls in the service and suppose its easy to pick holes in services all over the world but it's not enough for me to stay put. You must have lots of experience being in the position you're in if it's the case that you have that view why have you stayed?

Because I came here after I retired in the UK, because my son is here, and I only work for a few months a year. I would not be here if I was younger....in fact I will move back to the UK pretty soon anyway.

You really need to be realistic about this....there is no autonomy for nurses in MH over here....It is mainly pill pushing and restraint.

That's fair enough if it works for you that's cool!

I don't think I'm unrealistic in my expectations, but maybe somewhat optimistic.

Really it's only in recent Years that nursing in mental health has moved away from the drug em up, lock em up culture with the introduction of new policy's and guidelines for care, so I'm not thinking it will be a shock to the system if services in oz may not be as current as they are here. As for autonomy, I'm a big believer in nurse lead services, I don't prescribe to the doctor is God way of working and expect to challenge and be challenged on decision making and ways of practice.

to me it's all about the experience, I appreciate your view an will take it into account. It's a big decision to pack up my kids and move away from everything We know however, I'm not selling my soul if it's not for me I come back home simple as that.

Really it's only in recent Years that nursing in mental health has moved away from the drug em up, lock em up culture with the introduction of new policy's and guidelines for care.

That is simply not true. I worked in MH for nearly 40 years in the UK...most of that time as an autonomous nurse psychotherapist....things changed in the UK decades ago...most of the big hospitals have been closed for many years....you will not find much autonomy here so think carefully

...and Don't try and teach your granny how to suck eggs.

If you are not newly qualified I strongly believe you would get more than 51k, however if you are not on pr with 4 children's education to fund it would be a struggle even on 70k. What you earn in the UK you should be multiplying this wage by 2.4 ish to get the equivalent lifestyle.

as you will have gathered by previous posts nursing is different in oz and has some progression to make, but if you are doing a job merely to support you and your children then go for it.

maybe look through some of the threads on mh on here.

I had to pay for my kids schooling in Oz???We were also on a low income too,so how does free schooling work?My kids did'nt go to a private school (Fat chance of that happening,was way too expensive for our budget).I'm going to message my mate on facebook,her kids went to the same school as mine,so will report back with the fee's (as I can't recall what they were back then).

Simma:Are you 100% sure the father of your kids will allow you take them over to Oz to live?I would hate for you to go through the expense of everything,visa's medicals ect,and then for your ex to announce that he's changed his mind.

I had to pay for my kids schooling in Oz???We were also on a low income too,so how does free schooling work?My kids did'nt go to a private school (Fat chance of that happening,was way too expensive for our budget).I'm going to message my mate on facebook,her kids went to the same school as mine,so will report back with the fee's (as I can't recall what they were back then).

Simma:Are you 100% sure the father of your kids will allow you take them over to Oz to live?I would hate for you to go through the expense of everything,visa's medicals ect,and then for your ex to announce that he's changed his mind.

PR holders can send their children to government schools free of charge.

457 holders (in many states) have to pay at least $4000 a year tuition per child for a government school.

That is simply not true. I worked in MH for nearly 40 years in the UK...most of that time as an autonomous nurse psychotherapist....things changed in the UK decades ago...most of the big hospitals have been closed for many years....you will not find much autonomy here so think carefully

...and Don't try and teach your granny how to suck eggs.

I'm not really trying to teach you how to suck eggs, I'm sharing my experience

You may not find that to be the truth but I do. The closure of big hospitals does not mean the institutionalised culture ceases to exist. During my training(I started in 2006) I have been mentored by some very backward thinking and institutionalised nurses and thus the ward environment has remained the same. Places where the chemical cosh is the commonly used intervention, and service users are not involved in their care as they should be. I mean on one ward there was uproar when they wanted to introduce electronic notes the staff refused to entertain it and that was only in 2008 I'm not talking about the horrendous stories you hear like back in the asylum days. But in my opinion I would say of course progress has been made but there is more to come. Or at least consistency across the board, as I don't know what area of the country you worked or if you were more community based than ward but that is what I have experienced.

I never actually questioned the freedom of autonomy or the frequency of nurse lead services in the uk, The comment I was making was referring to my expectations in oz.

I'm not really trying to teach you how to suck eggs, I'm sharing my experience

You may not find that to be the truth but I do. The closure of big hospitals does not mean the institutionalised culture ceases to exist. During my training(I started in 2006) I have been mentored by some very backward thinking and institutionalised nurses and thus the ward environment has remained the same. Places where the chemical cosh is the commonly used intervention, and service users are not involved in their care as they should be. I mean on one ward there was uproar when they wanted to introduce electronic notes the staff refused to entertain it and that was only in 2008 I'm not talking about the horrendous stories you hear like back in the asylum days. But in my opinion I would say of course progress has been made but there is more to come. Or at least consistency across the board, as I don't know what area of the country you worked or if you were more community based than ward but that is what I have experienced.

I never actually questioned the freedom of autonomy or the frequency of nurse lead services in the uk, The comment I was making was referring to my expectations in oz.

If that's what you are used to moving to oz won't be such a culture shock, which is good news for you.

If you are not newly qualified I strongly believe you would get more than 51k, however if you are not on pr with 4 children's education to fund it would be a struggle even on 70k. What you earn in the UK you should be multiplying this wage by 2.4 ish to get the equivalent lifestyle.

as you will have gathered by previous posts nursing is different in oz and has some progression to make, but if you are doing a job merely to support you and your children then go for it.

maybe look through some of the threads on mh on here.

Thanks wellers, I think by the time things are sorted say a year? I will have had roughly 4 yrs experience so should move up the pay scale a little. And from advice given will definetly be considering the pr visa as it seems more stable with the kids and everything. Cheers :)

Yeah, I hear that its a big ask I know but, we are good friends and he knows my intentions aren't malicious. He may want to come over himself as he does not like to be away from his kids but if that's the case it's for him to do what he thinks is right for himself.

Yeah, I hear that its a big ask I know but, we are good friends and he knows my intentions aren't malicious. He may want to come over himself as he does not like to be away from his kids but if that's the case it's for him to do what he thinks is right for himself.

You will have to get formal written consent before a visa is issued.

If he does not like to be away from the children, well, then Australia is the other side of the world...that is considered 'away'.

Is he eligible for a visa if as you say he would like to come over?

It is important to research everything well before you come and look at all possibilities.

Archived