Gladstone Suburbs...... Pros and cons....

ianmcc

Hi all,

99% sure of a move from UK to Gladstone around Apr/May this year.

can anyone advise on Galdstone's suburbs? and schools, activities, etc. within them?

we have kids, ranging 2 to 13 yrs.

thanks in advance to anyone!

Tannum Sands seems to be where a lot of people head for when locating to the Gladstone area so its worth checking that area out, it is a nice area with a selection of shops and a tavern. Im not sure of the 'too avoid' places up that way, but check streets you are interested in for their flood risk.

Cal x

Thanks Cal,

yeah, I'd spotted Tannum Sands and Boyne island. They look nice.

Seen some really great houses and reasonable prices in Clinton.

Anyone any knowledge of this area?

thanks!

Hi there,we have been living in Boyne Island for 2 years.

Clinton is not bad,Clinton primary is a good school

I prefer living in Boyne/Tannum closer to the beach and if I am brutally honest I hate Gladstone it`s very ugly and industrial...

We can`t wait to get out of here..

There is nothing to do in this town,beach is always dirty (too close to the harbour-heaps of dead animals on the beach..)

lot of parks but not shaded so can`t use them in the summer...bike trails are ok,1 very expensive cinema, no indoor play centre, swimming pool is ok,they just built a kids water playground in there

I am not being negative just saying as it is,I know I would have preferred to know the truth...

on a positive side the rents have come down a lot and there are lot of new houses around..

check out the Little creek estate(close to Clinton) or Hill Close

Don`t hesitate to ask any questions,I will answer them honestly but be ready for a MAJOR cultural shock if you come here:nah:

A family member (we're Aussie) went there for work to Gladstone. Being, as you know, a mining town, it is all geared around that - that is the fact of life. As mentioned above, my family member spent some time in Tannum Sands, which is a nice suburb. My family member also was in a share house in Barney Point I think its called, and there are lots of shared houses with people working shiftwork and renting rooms in central Gladstone. I know people who have moved up from Melbourne to make their money, pay their houses off, put money in the bank and retire early.......if this is their goal then Gladstone will serve its purpose. With every thing in life, it is what suits you at the time. Good luck with it all I hope you find someone that suits you. My family member and her housemates were mechanics and service industry personnel on Curtis Island - she said the Utes pull into the town, catch the ferry across, then come back and all the Utes go out in the afternoon. She also told me that I should move up there and open a good coffee shop/takeaway place and have dinner meals ready to pick up as they come off the ferry, lol !! Maybe better than my job at the moment !

Hi all,

99% sure of a move from UK to Gladstone around Apr/May this year.

can anyone advise on Galdstone's suburbs? and schools, activities, etc. within them?

we have kids, ranging 2 to 13 yrs.

Gladstone is such a small place, I'm surprised the choice of suburbs would matter too much - you'll be in driving distance of everything.

I wouldn't expect to find much in the nature of activities in the town itself, but it's well placed to explore some of the lovely areas of Queensland if you're up for some long weekend drives.

Thanks all for the comments.

And Katerina, thanks for you honesty, it's better that way!

The small town-ness of Gladstone doesn't worry us too much, we are from a small town, so hopefully it might be like a home from home, but with a much better climate!!

Anyone with kids that can comment on schools?

thanks all!!

Thanks all for the comments.

And Katerina, thanks for you honesty, it's better that way!

The small town-ness of Gladstone doesn't worry us too much, we are from a small town, so hopefully it might be like a home from home, but with a much better climate!!

Anyone with kids that can comment on schools?

thanks all!!

hi, we are currently in the Boyne/Tannum area. Good schools both private and state. We have been here 18 months. Schools in the area are zoned now so if you want your child to go to Tannum then you need to live in Tannum and so on. There are a range of very good private schools in Gladstone which you can access via school bus if you prefer living in boyne/Tannum. I have also heard that Clinton is very good. My Daughter goes to Tannum and is very happy, it's a great school.

I personally wouldn't live in Gladstone itself, there is quite a lot of air pollusion which is full of nasties!! You can often see the orange smog in the air....BUT boyne/Tannum does not have this problem so is the place of choice if you ask me, for my and my families health. There is limited things to do, we have got used to it and love the peace and quiet tbh, nice beaches that are not full of tourists or backpackers. If you willing to explore it's only a few hours drive to some great places along the east coast, we go camping quite a lot and love it. Been to many places along to coast in the last 18 months, still only scratched the surface . You do have to be willing to get out there or else you'll get stir crazy.

All in all we really like living here and another English lady I met here has just moved into the area a few months ago also is really enjoying it. It's horses for corses I think and it's either a love it or hate it place.

Good ode luck and let me know if you need any more help!

Archived