Home Furnishings - Costs

Krystaltips

Just considering cost comparisons on setting up home in Sydney. I'd like to replace everything new ready for our new home & life and trying to work out if it's more cost effective to buy everything here and ship it out or, buy everything once we get out there. Are items such as beds, sofas, patio furniture, dining tables, comparable in price to the UK or much more expensive?

What's Australia's equivalent of stores such as John Lewis, Habitat, Heals...are there online stores I can check out?

...of all the things to think about...lol

Domayne and Harvey Norman are 2 nice furniture retailers. I found the patio and dining furniture ok but sofas really expensive for good quality in comparison to what you pay in UK. I would say it's tempting to buy in UK and ship but obviously house sizes and shapes different.but at least if you check out those sites you will have an idea of what to expect to pay

I think you will do better in both quality and cost terms if you ship it, albeit the exchange rate movement is modifying that view. However, I think buying a load of new stuff in the UK just to ship when you don't know where you'll be living (and what the room sizes etc might be) is a bit odd/risky. Also note that technically if it's less than 12 months you'd have to pay tax on it, which could be substantial. If you ship a load of new furniture you can expect to be hit with that. So on balance I would say to ship existing stuff if you're keeping it, but buy new here

As above - outside furniture I think there are some good deals. I'm very unimpressed with most indoor furniture....no real equivalent to JL or especially Heals

Having looked at a few options, I think we'll be shipping stuff out! Domayne looks interesting though and is along the lines of what I'd be looking for. I'm assuming tax is only applicable on items that are declared as <12months? As long as goods don't arrive in manufacturers packaging, I'm hoping you can avoid being hit with this?

I was looking at Australian Ikea online recently. Prices seem pretty good but presumably the same flat pack / vital screw missing nightmare that we all love to hate in the UK... ;)

It's exactly the same stuff. The whole key to IKEA's business model is standardisation and continual improvements (to their process, not necessarily to you) to keep driving costs down

Surprised you find it reasonable - IME pricing in IKEA Australia is quite a bit higher for most things (even allowing for an exchange rate of about 2:1 )

Having looked at a few options, I think we'll be shipping stuff out! Domayne looks interesting though and is along the lines of what I'd be looking for. I'm assuming tax is only applicable on items that are declared as <12months? As long as goods don't arrive in manufacturers packaging, I'm hoping you can avoid being hit with this?

As ever, the "don't take the p1ss" rule applies. A few items, I don't think you need to worry about. We brought a couple of sofas and a pushbike that were new or almost new. Stuff a container full of furniture that is obviously new and it'll be a different matter. And as ever with governments, getting caught after the event is always going to be more painful than fronting up in the first place....

I took a very cursory glance and it didn't seem too outrageous. But I'm my opinion will change when I have to buy the stuff myself.

It's exactly the same stuff. The whole key to IKEA's business model is standardisation and continual improvements (to their process, not necessarily to you) to keep driving costs down!

Surprised you find it reasonable - IME pricing in IKEA Australia is quite a bit higher for most things (even allowing for an exchange rate of about 2:1 )

Dunno if you mean brand new when you say new, but interesting second hand / vintage furniture is outrageously expensive. There's loads of second hand furniture shops round where I live, can't believe what Ozzies are willing to pay for old junk.

I saw a shoe rack for sale in a second hand shop once - I knew it was actually from Ikea and just looked a bit shabby chic as I've got 2 myself - but second hand it was more expensive!

We bought an apartment full of goods in sydney and found prices to be suprisingly good*:

*Disclaimer: I shop around to find the best prices

Fridge Freezer (whirlpool 420L) $645 (not sure if you can find an equivalent in the UK) Couldn't find a UK model for sale My wife assures me it's worth 600GBP as it's extra wide/american style

Beko WMB651441L Washing Machine $459 Couldn't find a UK model for sale

Samsung F8000 55" LED LCD TV $1999 (+$150 for 3 year warranty) Currys UK price 1999GBP SAVING approx 890 GBP

Ikea Kivik 2 seater sofa + chaise longue $998 UK = 625GBP SAVING 127 GBP

Navman Move50 sat nav GPS $71.20 (with lifetime maps) Couldn't find a UK model for sale

It's suprisingly hard to find UK prices as google defaults to finding Aus shops...but overall I think australia gives the UK a run for its money if you're willing to shop around.

Thanks all, it doesn't seem too badly priced in comparison from what I can gather.

Jdad84 - if it helps, I've just done a quick check (I tend to use http://www.ao.com ) and a Whirlpool 420l fridge in either ss or white, ranges from £1001 - £1429 depending on the model. The particular Beko washing machine you've bought is no longer for sale but alternate models range from £169 - £369.

Depending on what we decide to ship out and the container size, we'll probably purchase most items once out there.

Thanks all, it doesn't seem too badly priced in comparison from what I can gather.

Jdad84 - if it helps, I've just done a quick check (I tend to use www.ao.com ) and a Whirlpool 420l fridge in either ss or white, ranges from £1001 - £1429 depending on the model. The particular Beko washing machine you've bought is no longer for sale but alternate models range from £169 - £369.

Depending on what we decide to ship out and the container size, we'll probably purchase most items once out there.

Keep an eye out on 2ndsworld.com.au, they do new, factory returns and demo models - the savings are worth it since if you buy instore you can inspect what you're getting (which we did), also found jbhifi to be comptetitive when shopping around for prices. Ikea is comparable if not a little cheaper than UK, if you're just starting out you can certainly do things on the cheap.

I'd definitely say that if you're willing to shop around things are comparable in price, so whether or not you ship depends on how much stuff you've got, the condition etc...which only you can decide if it's worth it (We shipped over a few trinkets in a suitcase which cost us 200 GBP for 45kg of stuff.

Good luck on your move.

I guess it depends on the quality of items you want. What I would say is that if you buy electrical goods, just check that they are available in Australia, because if you need repairs or parts, you could be in a sticky situation if the item isn't available here.

Just considering cost comparisons on setting up home in Sydney. I'd like to replace everything new ready for our new home & life and trying to work out if it's more cost effective to buy everything here and ship it out or, buy everything once we get out there. Are items such as beds, sofas, patio furniture, dining tables, comparable in price to the UK or much more expensive?

What's Australia's equivalent of stores such as John Lewis, Habitat, Heals...are there online stores I can check out?

...of all the things to think about...lol

How can you buy furniture before you know the size and style of house you will buy? Talk about cart before the horse!

Archived