Last week's heatwave

fensaddler

Seen it many times before and bound to see it again. It really wasn't that bad, very low humidity (5%) which helped............

Seen it many times before and bound to see it again. It really wasn't that bad, very low humidity (5%) which helped............

The point very thoroughly made by the august ladies and gentlemen of the BoM is that this heatwave was exceptional, that whilst we have seen heatwaves of this type in this part of Australia before, its intensity and duration was exceptional. There was also a nod to the fact that these events appear to be becoming more frequent, and therefore, in all likelihood, we will see it again, and more often.

From the perspective of this part of Australia adapting to and coping with this sort of weather, it was evident that the public transport system was on the edge of folding up on day 5 (not so much warped rails and grass fires, as the fact that the aircon units on trains were beginning to fail because they could not cool down at night), and a lot of industrial and commercial aircon systems were in the same state - by the afternoon of day 5 the aircon system in the office where I work was clearly on the edge of giving up, probably for the same reason. Human memory and perception is not always reliable, but the comments from many long standing Melbourne residents has been that 'we didn't used to get it this bad', and that seems at least partly borne out by the BoM report.

well i am up in Echuca, we had 8 yes 8 days over 40 with the average being 44 plus a very hot northerly wind and not much below 30 at night, one afternoon the car was parked under a tree in the "shade" for half hour car read 50 outside when i got back in the car. Established trees now have burnt leaves, I ended up with heat stress ! Seriously, we have an evaporative cooler but it didnt have a chance in that heat, but if Air Cons cant cope what hope did the evap have. Going to be 40 + up here again next week for another run, the body just cant handle this sort of heat if it cant cool down at night. Heard 80 cows died in just one paddock down in Gippsland even the farmers have not see the likes of this sort of extended heat wave. If this is going to be the future we are going to seriously have to re think how we build and cool houses, transport, places of employment etc.

well i am up in Echuca, we had 8 yes 8 days over 40 with the average being 44 plus a very hot northerly wind and not much below 30 at night, one afternoon the car was parked under a tree in the "shade" for half hour car read 50 outside when i got back in the car. Established trees now have burnt leaves, I ended up with heat stress ! Seriously, we have an evaporative cooler but it didnt have a chance in that heat, but if Air Cons cant cope what hope did the evap have. Going to be 40 + up here again next week for another run, the body just cant handle this sort of heat if it cant cool down at night. Heard 80 cows died in just one paddock down in Gippsland even the farmers have not see the likes of this sort of extended heat wave. If this is going to be the future we are going to seriously have to re think how we build and cool houses, transport, places of employment etc.

Crikey Tina, you have my sympathy. Melbourne, me included, was wilting after five days, never mind eight - and you had the heatwave longer and hotter up north. It is a concern as to how we adapt if this is going to be more like the norm, rather than a 1 in 50 years freak occurrence. Our evap cooler at home wasn't touching it either (I'm told by those in the know that once it starts climbing into the 30s, evaps aren't much use), though our modern wall mounted aircon in the family room kept up the fight. I guess we'll all have to relocate to Tassie - there's plenty of room for a few million Victorians down there...

Crikey Tina, you have my sympathy. Melbourne, me included, was wilting after five days, never mind eight - and you had the heatwave longer and hotter up north. It is a concern as to how we adapt if this is going to be more like the norm, rather than a 1 in 50 years freak occurrence. Our evap cooler at home wasn't touching it either (I'm told by those in the know that once it starts climbing into the 30s, evaps aren't much use), though our modern wall mounted aircon in the family room kept up the fight. I guess we'll all have to relocate to Tassie - there's plenty of room for a few million Victorians down there...

Your suggestion of Tassie is "exactly" what we are thinking. You are correct about the Evap, we spoke to people about it as we thought it was broken, and the company told us the same thing they work in the low 30s after that forget it. We have decided to buy a portable A/C for next year as we only have 2.5 years left here (thank goodness) then the contract is finished and we can retire. I guess over time humans would aclimatize, i know in the Himalayers, the mountain people cope with the very thin air that visitors cant cope with, but for me - we will be moving somewhere cooler

Wow...Victoria...if it's not freezing it's boiling :)

Wow...Victoria...if it's not freezing it's boiling :)

Hi Fish, we had NO idea of the difference in weather when we took on this contract. Just 3 hours north of Melbourne we hardly have any rain - seriously, and winter is around 14 to 16 apart from the very rare day when it gets down to 10 in the morning but even then it normally warms up. Yes we read weather info that said the "average" is around 35 in summer - seems we have few "Average" days.

Hi Fish, we had NO idea of the difference in weather when we took on this contract. Just 3 hours north of Melbourne we hardly have any rain - seriously, and winter is around 14 to 16 apart from the very rare day when it gets down to 10 in the morning but even then it normally warms up. Yes we read weather info that said the "average" is around 35 in summer - seems we have few "Average" days.

35 would be a "very" hot average max temperature for the summer season. I know the countryside can get hotter but is that just the average for the hottest month or something ? 14-16 max is still cold for winter though ;)

The point very thoroughly made by the august ladies and gentlemen of the BoM is that this heatwave was exceptional, that whilst we have seen heatwaves of this type in this part of Australia before, its intensity and duration was exceptional. There was also a nod to the fact that these events appear to be becoming more frequent, and therefore, in all likelihood, we will see it again, and more often.

From the perspective of this part of Australia adapting to and coping with this sort of weather, it was evident that the public transport system was on the edge of folding up on day 5 (not so much warped rails and grass fires, as the fact that the aircon units on trains were beginning to fail because they could not cool down at night), and a lot of industrial and commercial aircon systems were in the same state - by the afternoon of day 5 the aircon system in the office where I work was clearly on the edge of giving up, probably for the same reason. Human memory and perception is not always reliable, but the comments from many long standing Melbourne residents has been that 'we didn't used to get it this bad', and that seems at least partly borne out by the BoM report.

No hotter than Melbourne in the 70's when I was unfortunately based there. It's still no big deal, for instance we were doing a saddle fit testing many and it was 40.1C. Everybody survived nicely, even the horse!

35 would be a "very" hot average max temperature for the summer season. I know the countryside can get hotter but is that just the average for the hottest month or something ? 14-16 max is still cold for winter though ;)

Its supposed to be the average for January and February but not what we have found over the last 2 years. Starting Monday the heat will be back. I think i could cope IF it cooled off at night. Other issue is cooking, even at 7.30pm it is to hot to go out and put the BBQ on, putting the oven or stove on well forget that. Salad and fruit becomes a bit boring after a while. Maybe it is just that i am British and my body is made for the cool weather LOL some people actually move up here for the heat and just love it.

Tell a lie it was 29.6 inside 44.1 outside because I took a pic of our thermometer. Not too bad for evap

You must have a very good brand of evap as everyone i have spoken to says the same thing the evaporative coolers cant cope with the very high temperatures. Planning to retire and move we sold our own house and now rent, but the old house had what i can only describe as an almost industrial size air conditioner it was a huge thing sitting outside near the laundry that worked really well.

Well this morning i decided to research portable A/C units. Yes OK i am female so no cracks at that please LOL but i thought "portable' indicates one can move it from room to room and turn it on something like a heater hum not quite so you need to poke pipes or tubes out of windows which wont work for us A. we have fly screens and B. We have huge horse flies up here that bite and the big Murray Grey Mozzies. Any one out there got any recommendations on good "portable" A/C that dont need bucket loads of water emptied out of them, or pipes stuck out of windows - please ?

Guest Guest16631

.......I thought the same.....!

.......and don't like the air con for myself.....

.......but OH and son have this......

........not too intrusive and the outlet fits against screen.......with a plastic bit to fill gap....!

Hi Tink, Oh glad its not just me, thought the heat was frying my brain :chatterbox: OK so we dont have to remove the screen the tube just sits there held by some form of suction ? Being a rental we cant remove or damage the screen in any way. What brand do you have and "does it work"

Guest Guest16631

.......the tube is pressed against the screen and held in place with long plastic thingy......!

.......no damage to screen or window.....

........got it from Harvey Norman......

.........called a polo cool.......!

.........brilliant actually.....

.........cools the room quickly.......we don't have a door on this room....so point the fins away from the opening.....

..........if you feel the heat it's worth it......

..........I just find it makes it harder tbh......i like a fan.....

...........but this is good as you can just drag it out on the really hot days....

............and it's easy to set up.........best of luck.....!.......tink x

Guest Guest16631

.......brilliant.........

........best of luck with it..........

........btw I used some packing tape just to secure the edge of the plastic thingy to edge of window....

.........just ensures it stays put...!

Archived