I want to be a welder but I suppose I will end up cooking again.

pob

When we were looking to come to Australia there were loads of apprentice/trainee welder positions advertised. All these jobs have disappeared now. I'd even be willing to work in the mines if a welder job came up there.

So I suppose I will end up cooking again...

I'm a good chef, I did it for 15 years and worked in some really nice restaurants in London.

I cook good food, I don't know how to use a microwave and I make all my sauces from scratch, so I don't know how to make Bisto either.

I don't know where to find catering jobs in Sydney? I have looked on Seek.com and Gumtree as well. I have had interviews in pubs but couldn't bring myself to use knoor stocks and cook schnitzel all day.

Are there jobs in contract catering in Sydney? If so where do I find them?

One of my last jobs in catering was cooking food for a well known retailer, I worked in their office canteen. They loved me, everything was fresh and healthy, they had variety in their food, it was tasty. I would have theme days and I made sure everything was within budget. They went from 40% of their staff eating in the canteen to 95% eating there every day.

But I cannot find anything like that advertised here in Sydney.

Where should I be looking?

Just to give you an idea of what I cook, tonight's dinner is...

Seared chicken breast with a butternut squash risotto, baby spinach, rocket and parmesan salad with balsamic dressing.

My wife wants me to go to work so I am not so bored, but she is more than happy when she gets home from work and dinner is ready for her.

Tomorrow is sweet and sour pork, fried rice. I'm going to have a go at making BBQ steam buns as a little bonus, my wife likes them.

Try 'indeed' there are many high end hotel jobs one there in the Sydney area at least. Though I think it's easier to find what you want while you're already working as they do like if you're working in Aus it seems.

We had lunch at the google offices the other day, brilliant, I'd love to cook there! Keep an eye out for openings, sounds right up your street.

Actually if you can get to Bondi area search that on gumtree. There was an ad the other day for a place in Bondi junction that's after a whole menu redesign. Also, mad pizza was looking for a manager/redesign, it's pizza and pasta but it's always packed, higher end and very highly reviewed.

Try 'indeed' there are many high end hotel jobs one there in the Sydney area at least. Though I think it's easier to find what you want while you're already working as they do like if you're working in Aus it seems.

We had lunch at the google offices the other day, brilliant, I'd love to cook there! Keep an eye out for openings, sounds right up your street.

Yes cooking for Google would be what I would want to do, Yahoo or Amazon.

A decent company that subsidises the food so it's staff can eat cheaply and healthily.

Were you expecting chicken schnitzel and chips? Instead you got fresh food, a choice of salads and fresh desserts.

Nothing fancy, just good healthy food that you would want to eat.

No because I'm not an idiot! Lol :) It wasn't as good or healthy as I'd expected hence is love to cook there but it was in the right direction. No decent desserts, just cupcakes but lots of fresh smoothies. A country mile better than any canteen I've been in and free.... John Lewis at home was very good mind you.

I really think you must be looking in the wrong places as I have seen many ads for high end chefs. What area are you looking in? Try the young trendy or exclusive pricy areas as that's where you're going to find the establishments you're after.

Archived