Partner visa/prospective marriage visa

Tootsie30

Hi all!

ive been having a good read of the partner booklet but I'm a little stumped on a few things?

as I've mentioned on her before my partner and I are looking at returning to perth this yr. I have permeant residency so we are looking at the best visa to get him on.

Option 1: partner visa applying from uk and fingers crossed won't take forever lol or option 2: prospective marriage visa ( getting married within nine months)

we have been together 10 yrs so shouldn't struggle to much with getting evidence, to get visa.

we are looking at getting married but had just put it on hold due to financing other things and if visa didn't take forever to come through, there could be a chance of getting married next year !

just wondered what the benefits are as they seem to be very similar and can't see why you wouldn't just apply for the partner one rather than the marriage one.

Ie is it a faster process in getting out there?

plus some people have mentioned about applying on shore! But I'm not sure how we would go about that.

im going to be going ahead anyway, so in order for him to apply on shore would he come out on a holiday visa, as has already done working visa.

but surely that would mean him getting a one way flight and then they would question that, so I can't see how you get round that.

Please if I'm having a blonde moment please correct me lol! Just trying to get all the facts.:wub:

As you have been together for 10 years and if you have been living togeteher for at least 3 years - the Partner visa, don't bother with the PMV it doesn't really apply to your situation.

If you can show that you have been a defacto couple for at least 3 years you should get Pernament residency straight away - PMV is a temp visa, mainly for people who can't meet the 12 month defacto relationship requirement.

Processessing for both visas offshore are similar 8-9 months- you can't apply onshore for PMV.

You can apply onshore from visitors visa as long as it does not have no further stay condition - it's more expensive and takes longer.

Many thanks for that so really looks like permeant one is best option.

Was only thinking about on shore option so that we wouldn't have to be apart so long as lots have been saying it can take 9-12 months to come through.

We've done six months apart before and if you have to you get on with it, but just wondered if there's anyway of getting a bridging visa to come out and work on until you get the ok for the permeant visa?

Many thanks for that so really looks like permeant one is best option.

Was only thinking about on shore option so that we wouldn't have to be apart so long as lots have been saying it can take 9-12 months to come through.

We've done six months apart before and if you have to you get on with it, but just wondered if there's anyway of getting a bridging visa to come out and work on until you get the ok for the permeant visa?

If your de facto applies onshore, a bridging visa with permission to work would be granted. There are possible complications. I suggest you run yoiur case past a registered migration agent before you commit to a course of action.

Was thinking of giving Australia house in London a call and putting it to them, as migration agent can be costly, what do you think.

Going to get the permeant visa filled in and get the ball rolling, if it seems to be taking longer than the six months a holiday it is lol!

Was thinking of giving Australia house in London a call and putting it to them, as migration agent can be costly, what do you think.

Australia House isn't there to provide advice, it even says this on their website. If you do get advice from them it may not be good advice.... They are notorious for getting it wrong.

Going to get the permeant visa filled in and get the ball rolling, if it seems to be taking longer than the six months a holiday it is lol!

Agree with Peach. Don't bother calling them. They are not there to advise on which visa etc.

An on shore partner visa application off the back of a tourist visa. Plenty of people do it this way. Apply for the 3 month stay tourist visa (and so long as it doesn't have a NFS condition attached) and head over and apply there. Once tourist visa expires bridging visa with work rights will kick in.

We have a couple of long standing partner visa threads and most don't use an agent but some do. It seems a lot but so long as you are organised and have all the evidence etc it's really not difficult. I found it very straightforward filling out the forms. You'll find plenty of help on the forum also :)

Archived