Likelihood of getting invited at 60 points

M1cha3la

Hi everyone,

So my DH passed hiss skills assessment this week with ICAA. He is ACCA qualified. Their letter advised his qualification is an equivalent to a bachelor degree, so we thought it would give us 15 points. However our migration agent is saying that it is open to interpretation and wants to submit it as 10 incase we get a strict CO. This would mean lodging our EOI at 60 rather than 65.

I'm concerned as he turns 33 mid Feb, which if i understand it properly means there are only 2 rounds of invitations that we could be invited in before he looses 5 points on age :cry: At which point we will have to re assess, i.e. re sitting IELTS to get all 8s or going for state sponsorship which we didn't really want to do, as our migration agent is saying it limits us to ACT with DH's qualification.

Has anyone else come across a migration agent "down grading" points? I understand he is trying to manage our expectations, but it seems harsh. Confused :err: I just hope we are lucky and get invited before his birthday.

Thanks

Agents do sometimes 'downgrade' points in the EOI if there is an area of doubt as it's better to be conservative. However, I've never come across a situation where there was any doubt that you would be given 15 points for a qualification that had been assessed as equivalent to a bachelor degree by an assessing authority. It seems a pretty clear area of the system to me.

I can't really comment further than that, the agent has the benefit of seeing all the information at hand so I won't question the advice. You're still likely to get an invitation at 60 points anyway.

Agents do sometimes 'downgrade' points in the EOI if there is an area of doubt as it's better to be conservative. However, I've never come across a situation where there was any doubt that you would be given 15 points for a qualification that had been assessed as equivalent to a bachelor degree by an assessing authority. It seems a pretty clear area of the system to me.

I can't really comment further than that, the agent has the benefit of seeing all the information at hand so I won't question the advice. You're still likely to get an invitation at 60 points anyway.

Thanks for the reply Adam. I questioned it with our agent and if its any help they stated:

" I nominated only 10 points on the education part to be on the safe side as it can be easily claimed not to be a bachelor qualification even that the ICAA recognised it to be the equivalent. "

They have submitted us at 60, i guess i am just panicking as i understand that people don't get invited at 60 points, if there are a lot with higher points? As there are only two rounds of invitations before DH drops 5 points for age.

Part of me wanted to push it with my agent, but part of me accepts that i am sure he knows best, so i just need to relax, hahaha. And we don't want to be in a position where we overestimate the points we lodge with and potentially loose the money.

To become ACCA, was it not a requirement to have previous degree?

No, it is a professional qualification in its own right. The qualification is the equivlant of a UK masters, as confirmed by the ACCA. We confirmed it with them before applying for the skills assessment. DH is just waiting for his degree results in anycase if that makes a difference?

I am a CGA from Canada, which is somewhat equivalent to ACCA in UK. Before we get the professional designation. we have to have at least bachelor's degree.

Otherwise, CPA recognized my Bachelor and my CGA as two separate degrees equivalent to their bachelor degrees.

This is why i asked the question.

On the other hand, you cannot get master's degree without bachelor in UK, correct? If ACCA is equivalent to masters, then I presume that you have an university bachelor degree as well? If so, you can claim points for the univerdity bachelor degree, even if it is not related to accounting.

I am a CGA from Canada, which is somewhat equivalent to ACCA in UK. Before we get the professional designation. we have to have at least bachelor's degree.

Otherwise, CPA recognized my Bachelor and my CGA as two separate degrees equivalent to their bachelor degrees.

This is why i asked the question.

On the other hand, you cannot get master's degree without bachelor in UK, correct? If ACCA is equivalent to masters, then I presume that you have an university bachelor degree as well? If so, you can claim points for the univerdity bachelor degree, even if it is not related to accounting.

Ah ok, i see what your saying :)

Now your testing, lol I had to ask DH as I glaze over usually when he talks about this stuff ahhahaha. He does not have any other degree. He said you can do a professional qualification without having to have a undergrad qualification. So he has the ACCA professional qualification, then he has done his accounting degree post ACCA "just because" (only my DH would do it backwards lol). Having the ACCA meant he only had to do part of the degree course, or something (i hope this makes more sense to you than me). He gets his degree results in March :)

It is very unusual but it is what it is...:)

And because it is very unusual, my guess is that your agent is more cautious and conservative.

In this case, your husband has to use his ACCA degree if he applies before March.

If he applies after he gets his degree, then he may have to do his ICAA assessment again to get this degree recognized.

It is very unusual but it is what it is...:)

And because it is very unusual, my guess is that your agent is more cautious and conservative.

In this case, your husband has to use his ACCA degree if he applies before March.

If he applies after he gets his degree, then he may have to do his ICAA assessment again to get this degree recognized.

Thanks Diana :) its at times like this I'm glad for our agent, nothing is black and white. He didn't mention anything about DH's degree though so i will ask him about that as it may be another way for us to get points should we need them, thanks :)

For my own curiosity I had a nosey on the website re the ACCA details about what you need to be able to study and it can be done with just A levels, who knew lol : http://www.accaglobal.co.uk/gb/en/qualifications/glance/acca/who.html

Michaela,

What you have described is almost a carbon copy of my situation. I am 34 years old, qualified ACCA a year ago and did not claim any post qualified work experience. I had to get the maximum points on IELTS to get to the 60 points.

My application was for a 189 visa and we took 5 months to complete, from engaging with an agent to receiving our visas! We got these 2 weeks ago.

We missed out on the first round of invitations, and after a small freak out gave some thought to state sponsorship for the extra 5 points. Ross was a problem as it was only Canberra that would really consider ACCA for regional sponsorship.

We held on for a week for the next round of invitations, and we're invited in that round.

You don't need any other degrees.

Just be patient, you're invite will come. ..

My OH did ACCA without having a degree too, it's quite common.

Still pees her off to this day when people say, "what do you mean you don't have a degree?"

I also wind her up as they give you automatic fellowship after 5 years just for paying your subs!

ACCA does get some blank stares from people even though you can apparently sit the exams here.

My OH did ACCA without having a degree too, it's quite common.

Still pees her off to this day when people say, "what do you mean you don't have a degree?"

I also wind her up as they give you automatic fellowship after 5 years just for paying your subs!

ACCA does get some blank stares from people even though you can apparently sit the exams here.

Hahaha, that’s good to know thanks abz :-) I won’t wind DH up regarding it until after we get our grant, he might be tempted to leave me behind LOL.

Are you both in Oz now? Has you OH managed to find work ok with ACCA, the more I am reading it seems like it’s only really accepted in Canberra – We are hoping to move to Perth or Adelaide.

Yes. My application was with the qualification at 15 points. I was assessed by CPA, but they do not determine the points you can claim, the agent does.

I would definitely be getting them to raise the points. 65 pointers are selected before 60 pointers!

Thanks for the info. Contragts on your visa grant btw. Exciting times :-)

Hahaha, that’s good to know thanks abz :-) I won’t wind DH up regarding it until after we get our grant, he might be tempted to leave me behind LOL.

Are you both in Oz now? Has you OH managed to find work ok with ACCA, the more I am reading it seems like it’s only really accepted in Canberra – We are hoping to move to Perth or Adelaide.

Yes, we're in Perth.

Came me out in 2010 when accountants were on the critical skills list and I was primary applicant with CIMA qualification (and a degree) hence the banter between us.

Perth is not bad at recognising ACCA due to the number of UK migrants who know what it is but we both have oil and gas backgrounds which is why we chose to settle in Perth.

Can't comment on Adelaide but had an ACCA colleague who found work in Sydney without any problems.

Hi everyone

My hubby is ACCA too (no degree either!! :) ) we'll be applying soon for a 189...our agent is submitting our docs to the CPA for assessment next week, can anyone give me an indication how long they take? I am thinking about 4 weeks. So it'll be end Feb til we get a positive result from them....then maybe an invite if we're lucky in either of the two March rounds if we can submit our EOI ASAP. Thanks guys :)

Hi everyone

My hubby is ACCA too (no degree either!! :) ) we'll be applying soon for a 189...our agent is submitting our docs to the CPA for assessment next week, can anyone give me an indication how long they take? I am thinking about 4 weeks. So it'll be end Feb til we get a positive result from them....then maybe an invite if we're lucky in either of the two March rounds if we can submit our EOI ASAP. Thanks guys :)

Hey Lizzy,

We did DH’s through ICAA with the express option and got it back in 4 days :-) not thats any help for CPA lol..

Archived