189 Visa - Help!

Suz

Hi,

Prior to planning to apply for the 189 visa I self tested myself against the points test requirement and met the min score of 60 as below.

Age - 28yrs - 30 Points

Lang - 7 EILTS - 10 Points

Skilled Emplo - 4yrs at least - 5 Points

Education - Degree & ACCA - 15 Points

60 Points

I therefore went ahead and completed the EILTS with a score >7 in all components and got positively skills assessed as a 'General Accountant'. Both my university degree and ACCA qualifications were assessed as being equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree.

However, upon receiving my skills assessment outcome letter I noticed that the years of skilled employment has been taken into account from the date of having completed my ACCA Accounting qualification. This has thrown me off as I have been working in the accounting industry for 7 years post graduating from university and was expecting to get at the very least 5 points for being in skilled employment for a min of 3 years. Only 1 year and 3 months of skilled employment has been recognized, meaning that I still have another 1 year and 9 months worth of skilled experience to achieve. To make matters worse the EILTS and Skills assessment expires after 2 years and therefore I would need to start all over again it seems.

I understand that the information from the assessing authority regarding skilled employment is only advice, but I am worried that if I go ahead and submit an EOI and then lodge the application this may be a problem resulting in a waste of money and further time should I not be successful.

Any advice would be very useful?

An option I am considering. - As the assessing authority (CPA) provide 1 amendment to the skills assessment result free of charge, I was hoping to redo the EILTS test and score 8 in all components in order to get 20 points. This will enable me to meet the min score of 60.

Any advice on the option I'm considering?

Many Thanks

S

Hi Suz,

Perhaps the CPA assessed your bachelor degree and did not feel that it had the required core knowledge areas, so took your ACCA completion date as the date you became 'qualified'. The case officers have a lot of regard for the opinion of the assessing authority so I would recommend not submitting an EOI until your situation is clarified. It's worth enquiring with the CPA just to double check.

If the CPA assessment was accurate, I would also suggest State Sponsorship (if eligible/applicable) to obtain the extra 5 points needed. Also worth noting that although the Academic IELTS was required for the CPA assessment, you can take the general training IELTS for points purposes, which is generally considered to be easier.

All the best

I was not aware that Skills assessment expire.

IELTS expire after 3 years - new rules from DIBP.

In my opinion, you should sit IELTS and get 8s. Or look into 190, to get the missing 5 point from State Sponsorship.

Thanks for advice.

I did ring CPA - Accounting assessment body who advised that it does expire after 2 years. (I am guessing expiry of the assessment is regulating body dependent).

The expiry of IELTS after 3 years is helpful.

My sister is an Australian resident and therefore can sponsor me for the 5 points if required under a sponsored visa. To be honest I have not researched other visa alternatives to the 189 as I would like to get PR through 189. (If I can meet the requirement and settle in any part of Australia).

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz
Hi,

Prior to planning to apply for the 189 visa I self tested myself against the points test requirement and met the min score of 60 as below.

Age - 28yrs - 30 Points

Lang - 7 EILTS - 10 Points

Skilled Emplo - 4yrs at least - 5 Points

Education - Degree & ACCA - 15 Points

60 Points

I therefore went ahead and completed the EILTS with a score >7 in all components and got positively skills assessed as a 'General Accountant'. Both my university degree and ACCA qualifications were assessed as being equivalent to an Australian bachelors degree.

However, upon receiving my skills assessment outcome letter I noticed that the years of skilled employment has been taken into account from the date of having completed my ACCA Accounting qualification. This has thrown me off as I have been working in the accounting industry for 7 years post graduating from university and was expecting to get at the very least 5 points for being in skilled employment for a min of 3 years. Only 1 year and 3 months of skilled employment has been recognized, meaning that I still have another 1 year and 9 months worth of skilled experience to achieve. To make matters worse the EILTS and Skills assessment expires after 2 years and therefore I would need to start all over again it seems.

I understand that the information from the assessing authority regarding skilled employment is only advice, but I am worried that if I go ahead and submit an EOI and then lodge the application this may be a problem resulting in a waste of money and further time should I not be successful.

Any advice would be very useful?

An option I am considering. - As the assessing authority (CPA) provide 1 amendment to the skills assessment result free of charge, I was hoping to redo the EILTS test and score 8 in all components in order to get 20 points. This will enable me to meet the min score of 60.

Any advice on the option I'm considering?

Many Thanks

S

It seems you have a vast number of options with your sister being a resident in Australia as well. Allow me to lay out the following visa options:

189 Skilled independent visa: With 5 pts sponsorship from your sister you will obtain the necessary 60pts or re-do the IELTS under *general to attain an 8. (Bare in mind that each band must be an 8 to receive 20pts)

190 State Sponsorship Visa: With 5 pts state sponsorship you will achieve the necessary points however you will be expected live and work in the sponsoring state for a period of 2 years and adhere to the state requirements many of which have their own separate work experience requirements and I don't believe 1yr and 3 months would be enough.

489 Regional Skilled Visa: This is similar to state sponsorship except that your options in terms of where to remain are a little more restricted then the 190 but you get 10pts for regional sponsorship and permanent residency after 2 years rather then PR straight away which is what the 189 & 190 offer. Check the following link to see what areas are eligible for regional sponsorship.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/489.aspx

I would suggest sticking with the 189 visa and either re-sit the IELTS (general) or attain sponsorship from your sister.

This is not a difficult situation at all, you will be absolutely fine.

It seems you have a vast number of options with your sister being a resident in Australia as well. Allow me to lay out the following visa options:

189 Skilled independent visa: With 5 pts sponsorship from your sister you will obtain the necessary 60pts

I would suggest sticking with the 189 visa and either re-sit the IELTS (general) or attain sponsorship from your sister.

This is not a difficult situation at all, you will be absolutely fine.

How does an applicant obtain an extra 5 points for a 189 visa by using their Australian sister? I'd be very interested to know....

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz

This applies to 489 visa not the 189; my mistake and the awarded points are 10. Although we only know so much about Suz's circumstances if the main applicant of a 189 visa has a partner who has an occupation on the skills list and completes a skills assessment then 5pts can be awarded in this case. I'm not sure if Suz does have a partner who could be joining her however it's worth mentioning. Thank you for pointing out the mistake.

CPA Assessment is most probably correct. They need 9 of 12 specific courses to recognize experience after your degree. If they did not find all 9 in your university degree, then they looked at your ACCA degree. This is why you have this assessmnet outcome.

For me, CPA recognized the experience after the last course was completed, which was several months before I got my professional designation.

So, may be look when you passed the last course of the required 9 and may be you can challenge them for this date? It might give you some months or year.

In my opinion, go for IELTS band 8. Less stressful and time consuming.

CPA Assessment is most probably correct. They need 9 of 12 specific courses to recognize experience after your degree. If they did not find all 9 in your university degree, then they looked at your ACCA degree. This is why you have this assessmnet outcome.

For me, CPA recognized the experience after the last course was completed, which was several months before I got my professional designation.

So, may be look when you passed the last course of the required 9 and may be you can challenge them for this date? It might give you some months or year.

In my opinion, go for IELTS band 8. Less stressful and time consuming.

I am considering redoing EILTS. But why 'general' isn't it supposed to be 'acedemic' for 189 visa? The skills assessment letter has my EILTS results and format written on it. If I redo general and submit to CPA then won't meet criteria for 189.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

I will check with CPA as to when I meet the 9 courses and therefore the date from which they should be considering my employment as skilled.

If I don't get anywhere, then I will retake EILTS (General) to achieve band 8 in all components in order to meet points requirement.

Will the case officer not get confused if he sees my skills assessed and there being an EILTS Acedemic score 7 and then a subsequent EILTS General score 8. - will I need to explain in a letter when i do submit my paperwork?

You have to submit only the most recent IETLS results when you apply for visa (which will be the general module).

Accounting assessment is separate. There you will send your academic IELTS, as they require academic. On the assessment, they do not put anything about IELTS or English language ability.

Edited by DianaK