[quote][[i]b]do we take it or start again?[/b][/i][/quote]

Guest fryers2gether

Guest fryers2gether

hi guys any advice on weather to sell everything and start aagin out there or pay for shipping and take the lot ie house hold things tools for work car kids wife ect!

ok may be not the last 2! :D

any ideas!

Guest Hayley

Hi we've sold everything. Just taking my dog , clothes oh and hubby!!

He is taking his work tools though as apparently they are quite expensive over there!! Costing 800.00 for container 5x5x4.

Hayley

Hi,

We're going to take most of our stuff with us, anticipating it will cost about £3,500 which for us is better than having to furnish a full home. I don't want to be rushed into buying stuff when I get there and regretting it later. This is only a personal thing though, I've read that it can help people settle having familiar things around them.

Ali

Guest daisydeeds

The only furniture we shipped was a camphorwood box and our cast iron bed frame; everything else was things like cds,dvds,games,favourite/sentimental bric a brac, toys,memorabilia, a guitar, art materials and art work, photos and the like. Not much at all was shipped. Its going to be practically starting from scratch when we get to Oz. Im missing my things around me although due to the mad packing carry on we have things here that shouldve been shipped but werent - we are hoping that we fit them in hard suitcases we have. Hope this helps folk decide what to take - guess its a personal choice thing.

daisydeeds

Hi,

we will be shipping a camphorwood chest too, did you have to do anything to it? have it checked for beasties? or anything?

We are planning to take everything we can, I think that the cost of replacing everything would be very expensive.

Don't forget once you are there you will be earning $au and spending $au so will not benefit from good exchange rate

PLUS - I am a sentimental old bag and I would even miss my own bed linen, towls, trusty pyrex jug and my cookery books (not that I cook just read :lol: )

Karen

Guest daisydeeds

There was no treatment required on the camphorwood chest.

We sieved through all the clothes and linen, taking only the basics into our rented flat. about 15 bin bags worth of clothes etc went to the charity shop including things that were outgrown and things that werent likely to be worn. If you have time (which we didnt) you could ebay them.

We shipped over several crates of memorabilia as I too am very sentimental - have three kids so there was also crates of photos ;-)

Best go the now. bedtime for children.

Daisydeeds

Guest Nelson

Our container left yesterday! (*see thread entitled 'Trust Us!'* ) We have got thousands of pounds worth of stuff into our £3,700 container and I am really glad that ws out choice. Interestingly, my initial thoughts were to sell the lot and completely start afresh. I am not the sort of person who becomes emotionally attached to 'stuff' but, from a purely practical view, I decided that there would be quite enough to do when we hit the ground running, without having to locate a vase shop to put a bunch of flowers in... On the other hand, if we thought we would have time, it would be nice to amble around and choose things at our leisure! Someone in our household made a comment the other day that 'even going out to buy a loo roll will become exciting!'

Guest daisydeeds

Krista, what a carry on you had but it all worked out in the end! ;-) Now you can relax ;-) So happy for you.

Re shipping things;

We asked the shipping company about shipping both our red sofas and they said it would cost 500 quid - both were 500 quid or so when we bought them and they were three years old so really it wasnt worth it.

Crown were good in giving us a rough price for everything. Tips that I can give is do write a list of everything you would definitely like to take, things that you are nt sure about and things that you definitely wont take well in advance of contacting the removal company - makes things clearer for you and the removal company. Also most wood is treated so you can take those bookcases! - its only things like Cane etc that they have an issue with.

About bedding, in Oz it is cheaper to buy good quality bedding and mattress sizes are different to ours.

There are Ikeas in Oz and they like their bargains so we dont foresee any problems picking up furniture cheaply and gradually building up again- buying better quality stuff as time goes on - its going to be an adventure!

This is turning into a mini novel ;-)

Daisydeeds.

Guest fryers2gether

:Dwell guys

we think that starting again will be more fun, and ofcourse we will be taking personal things like photos and memory box's and the kids fav toys but all the rest like beds wardrobes sofas ect we feel that the cost of shipping them would far out way there value and the fact that they wont last forever any way and will be replaced in the end. it seems like all things on here it each to there own!

how ever does any one know any thing about container sharing?

Guest THE JONEZYS

We have around 20 friends and family who have moved to OZ over the last 15 years (hope it wasn't us they were tryin to get away from) and the 1 thing they have all told us NOT to bring is wardrobes. Most of the houses out there have either walkin or builtin robes so they just end up in the garage taking up space untill you have the time to get rid of them.

Lesley

Archived