How long for parent contributory visa - when to sell up.

cookfoody

anyone know how long it might take to get a contributory parent visa applied in September 2012 part of fee paid November 2012 heard nothing since only want to sell our house in the uk before we go but don't when we should put it up for sale any ideas please .

Hi

Yes - 12 to 18 months to allocate but I do not permit my clients to sell until its been allocated to a case officer and the assessment has been done and passed. You can never count on a visa until its in your hand.

That's not because I receive refusals, but because the Government can change quotas, processing arrangements, anything and if you sell and a change even just means an extended wait, you could be left with no home and no visa for an indefinite period.

Hope this helps, sorry its not sooner...

Best wishes

Bonnie

Hi Bonnie.

So long as applicant clients are suitably counselled and make an informed decision I think it is the client's decision about selling a home to pay the Visa Application Charge.

The reality for the Contributory Parent visas is that for many the main VAC will be paid from the equity in their home. If they don't realise that equity they won't be getting the visa.

Best regards.

Decisions are always to made by the individuals, but my advice mirrors that of DIBP to applicants who have applied.

Yes, but as I said, for many CP visa applicants if they don't sell their property they won't be paying the main Visa Application Charge.

Not selling the home prior to visa grant isn't a choice for many such visa applicants - it involves an assessment of risk.

Best regards.

Guest The Pom Queen

We were on the 136 but at the time we were short of 5 points. In order to get this we had to put $100,000 in to a bond, the only way for us to do this was to sell our house. Our agent at the time said this was a bad move and to be honest we loved our house and would have been devastated to lose it, but we had no option, so we sold everything and went in to a rental. It is a huge risk but for us it paid off.

Just for clarification, I'm not disagreeing with you, just saying wait until you have a case officer and they've looked at the application and more importantly medicals and character', and if you have a tricky family composition, then balance of family too. You are particularly exposed if you don't use an agent because Alan and I and other MARA agents check the legislation each and every time, and understand how the Immigration looks at the various criteria. Just be careful unless you have a back up plan if the visa doesn't come through straight after you settle on the sale and pay your 2nd VAC. That's all... Our parents migrated using this visa and had to sell their home to pay the VAC, so its a huge decision and one I personally understand. If thats the only way to pay the 2nd VAC you won't get the visa without paying it. But just walk through the steps carefully. Maybe talk to local agents now explaining your circumstances. They can keep an eye out for potential buyers and local values and sales, so you have the most information at the time when it comes you have to sell. If you don't need to sell for the VAC then that is obviously the ideal as you'll be in a stronger negotiating position when you do sell.

Best of luck,

Bonnie

thanks for all of the advice very helpful we don't have to sell our house as we have enough funds but do not want to sell up and rent as we think it would be money wasted our daughter thinks we should sell up and come to oz on a 12 month visitors visa and hopefully the other visa will have been granted by then a risk I know

Archived