Skills Assessment: Advisory Letter for Points Test - worth it?

nuttersuclan

Dear all

I'm just starting the skills assessment process via VETASSESS, as a University Lecturer. There is the option (at $80 AUS) to receive a letter in support of your points application, primarily about your work experience and qualifications.

A question to those who are in the know, or have been through the process; is it worth it? I can only see that it might speed up the visa application slightly, as there's one less thing for them to check in a rigorous fashion, but is there another potential benefit I'm missing here, or is this a waste of $80?

Cheers in advance

I personally like it for the employment aspect as this requires a degree of interpretation.

When you apply for the visa you must be able to meet the same points as claimed in your EOI. If you claimed 8 years experience but the case officer only assesses you as having 5 years due to lack of available evidence or some positions not being relevant, you're going to be in a bad situation which will cost you far more than $80. The case officers are instructed to have consideration for an assessing authorities opinion, so by having the points advice letter for your work experience prior to submitting the EOI you're giving yourself a strong indication of how many points you can claim and the added peace of mind.

Just my opinion. I suppose a lot of it also depends on the level of documentary evidence you have and if there is no doubt regarding the relevance of your experience.

• 2 months later...
Dear all

I'm just starting the skills assessment process via VETASSESS, as a University Lecturer. There is the option (at $80 AUS) to receive a letter in support of your points application, primarily about your work experience and qualifications.

A question to those who are in the know, or have been through the process; is it worth it? I can only see that it might speed up the visa application slightly, as there's one less thing for them to check in a rigorous fashion, but is there another potential benefit I'm missing here, or is this a waste of $80?

Cheers in advance

Even I need to get points test assessment for my Degree done as all my work exp is in IT however the degree is from commerce background.

How much time does it take to get the points test for the degree and also where can i start whats the procedure as my application is under process already. Please help fast

Also, before lodging my 190 Visa and after getting my Victoria SS, I hope I can claim the points for my degree as well by editing the EOI. So to increase the chances.

Archived