4 year plan !!

Rebecca Roche

Hi all,

Looking for advice as myself, Husband and to children really would love to emigrate to Australia and we have a 4 year plan to do so. I am a qualified Social Worker and he is a Motor Mechanic currently with Toyota. After doing some research we have decided to focus on Geelong Victoria as a place to move too.

Does anyone know what the job prospects are like for these two professions, are they in demand and could we afford to live comfortably on these salaries

Thanks for looking !!!

Hi Rebecca what type of social work do you do?? I am in child protection and yes there is a demand in that area. I love my job though I have had my ups and downs at times, there are a heap of comments on social work in oz on other threads on here with very mixed views but if I can help u in anyway don't hesitate to message me.

Lou

Thanks Lou, I work in Children and Families, the job is really tough I currently work in one of the most deprived area's in the UK without sunshine !! :biglaugh: Case load are really high so am used to hard work ! any help or advice would be greatly received.

Any salary information and also job sites, we are looking at my husband to be sponsored to work as a mechanic but could I get a job before moving out there ?

Lots of questions sorry !! its just if we want to make this dream a reality I want to be prepared !!!

Hi Rebecca I will message you when I get home from work later. Ur job sounds just like mine ... But I do have sunshine (well this week I do) and the clients have a different accent :-) ... That's about the only change

You should easily be able to get a job lined up for when you arrived, certainly in our region we have people coming into positions ...I interviewed someone about 4 months ago and they start in April so it happens

Speak to you later

Lou

Hi Rebecca and Lou

I am also planning on moving to Oz and am also a social worker, working in child protection in a deprived area in the UK. My husband is a mechanical engineer and we have 3 children.

We have been looking in to it since last year but it would be brilliant to get some advice from someone who is working there already.

Marie

Hi Rebecca

My Hubby is a motor mechanic and also a lecturer to other mechanics. We migrated 7 years ago on his skills and he has never been short of work. Lots of the main dealers take on UK trained mechanics and many sponsor too (although getting PR is a better route here), they dont pay as great as some of the smaller garages but its a good way to get started here and find your feet .

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

Thanks everyone, its so exciting making plans and talking to like minded people, Wolvesaussie; a commute would not be to bad if the price of petrol is lower than the UK!!

We are just submitting the EOI at the moment on my husbands skills, so once that's done we shall see what's what!

Geelong is our number one choice but open to anything at the moment.

I have just done a Google search (love Google) on Toyota garages in and around Geelong, one in Geelong and a few in and around Melbourne. I have just emailed the one in Geelong and asked if they ever sponsor mechanics from the UK !!!! hope they don't think it rude but as dad always says you don't ask you don't get:cute: or more like the book how to make friends and alienate people !!!:wacko:

Archived