Shipping luggage 1 bag, 45kg, options?

jdad84

Aside from our flight allowance of 30kg we have an excess of 45kg in baggage, we looked into what it would cost to ship the rest of our stuff at the same time i.e. excess baggage. Even with an online booking discount most airlines still came in at £25 per kg. This seeming rather exhorbitant I remembered we saw a shipping company at an emmigration expo we attended in edinburgh a couple of years back called Anglo Pacific (AP) http://www.anglopacific.co.uk/baggage_shipping.htm and I googled for companies and came up with Transglobal Express (TGE) https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/quote/

QUOTES

Anglo pacific price (for 45kg large luggage) at £130 (shipping by sea, 6-8 weeks)

Transglobal Express price £220 (by air, 4-7 days)

The TGE quote includes pickup from a UK address and insurance of £1000. The AP quote does not. I know for sure TGE does not include customs charges and I suspect the AP quote does not either (considering the TGE quote states $165 customs fees + GST).

Other companies seem to be quoting £300-500

Have I missed any options?

Have you tried sevenseas. I looked the other day. Max weight per item/box is 30kg so you'd have to do 2. It says £93 on there but not sure what charges are in top of that. That's for excess baggage by sea. That was Liverpool to Perth.

I had advice from pss once and I'm sure they said theirs was £120 for 3 boxes then £25 per additional box. Again, not sure of charges once it arrives in Australia.

Debs

Who are you flying with??

flying with Singapore airlines, they give you double baggage allowance for an unvalidated pr visa.

BA you can pay for extra bags think its around £28 each 23kg bag

Booking flights through IOM, they will sort out double baggage allowance at the airport.

Who are you flying with??

flying with Singapore airlines, they give you double baggage allowance for an unvalidated pr visa.

BA you can pay for extra bags think its around £28 each 23kg bag

Booking flights through IOM, they will sort out double baggage allowance at the airport.

Thanks for the reply, we're flying with Emirates.

Singapore wouldn't double allowance for us as we're going on a 457 visa, BA weren't competitive for flights, neither were IOM as by the time the flights cleared availability was pretty low and the difference between what we could get going through a comparison site like momondo and what they were offering meant we were effectively paying over the odds.

Depending on what it is you're looking to send (i.e. does it have to be a bag or could you box it up?) you might want to look at worldwide parcel delivery companies rather than shipping... I had a look at Parcelmonkey to ship a large box (40 kilos) and it came it at under £200 for air freight (so 4-5 days delivery time). You'd need to know the size of box to get an accurate quote and I think you'd have to sort insurance out as well, but might be worth a look.

Archived