Nursing in Perth ... Need info please

SammyDevonport

Hi,

my name is sammy and I am 22 years old.

I have recently qualified as a band 5 staff nurse in England and am looking for a job in Perth Australia.

My parents have emigrated to Oz, one year ago and I am on their visa.

I understand I need to apply for my APRAH registration but am unsure when to apply for this?

Do I need to do a nursing exam before working ?

Where do I look for jobs online?

Any help much appreciated,

thanks

Sammy x

Hi Sammy. You can look for jobs on seek.com.au. Seems to be a lot of nursing posts on there.

You need to apply to AHPRA which can be done by post. There is a lot of documents to send though and they all need to be certified. It costs a lot more than the NMC for initial registration too. Once you get registration, you then have 12 months to validate it by presenting to the AHPRA office with ID. Or you can also do that by post too.

Good luck.

Debs

Hey Sammy, if you google Ahpra you'll find their website & links to the application form & info relating to necessary documents. As mentioned previously your docs all need to be certified by a justice of the peace.

I have found the best way to get jobs is to contact hospitals directly. Most have websites with recruitment links there are also an abundance of agencies to choose from and these pay well. It helps that you already have a visa (your parents) and are therefore eligible to work, include this in your covering letter as well as when you are available to work.

Good luck

forgot to add...in regards to when you should apply - sooner rather than later. As with the NMC the whole process can take some time. Plus, it's better to have registration prior to applying for jobs, 2 reasons...if you are lucky enough to secure a job & your registration is delayed by start date you run the risk of losing the job offer and 2 - it shows you are genuine, numerous people from overseas apply for jobs but for various reasons don't end up moving, to have the registration and work rights demonstrates you are work ready & less of a gamble.

Hi Sammy, I would get your registration first as it takes a while, best to get it done before you go out, as then you are ready to apply for jobs straight away instead of sitting around without work which gets boring. The process is not hard just time consuming and lots of paperwork, but I did it so u defo can, u just need a medical to go with your visa and nursing wise there is no exams just proof of your registration which is transcripts and your dipolma/degree certificate and ur NMC pin, plus u write to the NMC to write to aprha proving your registration. U download the application form of the aphra website and just go through it systematically, getting the stuff done one at a time. It will all come together. The only issue I had was when I got to Perth, aphra took ages as Wa does. But I just went not the offices to prove I was here and hand in something, I can't remember now then u get ur registration. I find as a English nurse often jobs don't actually reply to u if they don't think your in the country or at least have ur oz rego. I left uk without a job and when I got my rego I got a job very quick, Australians like people they know and it's a bit incestrous so best just to rock up with a prior email of course and job dice ur self and say ur looking for a Job worked for me. If ur a adult nurse there be lots of jobs, as a children's nurse it's a bit more limited. Look on the way government website for jobs, that's the best site and u can apply directly from there. But again if ur English and have no rheo or visa they prob won't even look at ur application yet . Best of luck

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just wondering if you can help. I am finishing children's nursing in 5 months time and want to move straight to Perth after i get my NMC pin through ect. I am already an australian citizen (due to living there when i was younger) but i am getting mixed messages about what i need to do. I understand i need to register with AHPRA etc, but lots of people are telling me to either get at least 6 months experience in the UK or get onto the graduate scheme. If anyone knows any information on what route i should take then i would really appreciate any advice. I want to come out to Perth ASAP so getting experience isn't a welcomed idea or option really.

thanks a lot,

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

My name is Vicky I qualified in Aug 2013 as a mental health nurse. Can anyone tell me if it's worth applying to the AHPRA? I have been reading lots of information some stating nurses need to have three years experience. I really don't know where to start with visas and registration :( However the info on here as been a great help.

Thanks

Vicky

Have a look on jobs WA also - which advertises the job. I've noticed a lot more advertisements are saying that preference will be given to PR holders and Citizens - whilst this doesn't mean sponsorship is out of the question it does make it a little more difficult to get in the public sector.

It's best to have your registration when you apply for jobs in case they want someone to start reasonably quickly, if two candidates rate the same and one can start work and one has several months to wait for registration - they'll probably go with the other candidate.

I'm not sure what the requirements are for AHPRA registration - but you may have to have some experience to apply for the skills assessment for a PR visa.

Archived