Using Transperth -- buying multiple tickets???

NickJB

Hi folks,

Finally arrived in Oz, woohoo!!!

Anyhoo, I want to catch multiple buses to get to and from places in Joondalup. So far I've been buying a standard 2 section fare for each trip. But can one ticket be used multiple times, or do I have to buy another ticket for every bus I catch in the same vicinity?

In particular, I wanted to go from fairway circle, Joondalup, to Mullaloo beach (about half an hour bus ride) but need to catch 2 different busses. Would the same 2 section fare cover both busses or do I need a new ticket for each one?

Many thanks!

I don't know your area, but I would have thought a half hour journey would be a one or two zone journey rather than section.

once you buy your ticket it is valid for two hours on any bus or train journey, only need to buy a new ticket once the two hours are up.

there is also a day saver ticket option which would cover you for any journey train or bus for the entire day.

Honestly? Just get a Travel Card (Smart Rider), then when you tag on/off, it works it all out for you. Even across trains, buses and ferries on the same day.

I bought 4, one for me, one for the wife, and 2 for any visitors we have.

If you hook it to your account, you also get a discount.

Sounds like the ticket you buy would cover you for both trips in that area. Like fifi said the ticket is valid for 2 hours from time of purchase. If you are going to be using public transport a lot the Smart Rider option would be the way to go for you. Covers buses, train and ferries. Works out cheaper in the long run. Train into Perth and a few beers is a good option from Joondalup way, good value and quick.

While time based two hour duration, Smart Rider is the only way to do it. There is an all day Family Ticket available this time of year (school holidays) that includes two adults and kids if that is any good to you. In normal times,ie outside of school holidays it is only good after working hours and week ends though.

Single purchased tickers will cost you a lot of money.

OK guys, looks like the SmartRider card is the way forward... just one question though, I spoke to a lady earlier who said once it runs out you've gotta pay cash, so I guess you still need to know how much each trip is going to cost, before you tag on? Or can you go into debit and payback overdue fares??

OK guys, looks like the SmartRider card is the way forward... just one question though, I spoke to a lady earlier who said once it runs out you've gotta pay cash, so I guess you still need to know how much each trip is going to cost, before you tag on? Or can you go into debit and payback overdue fares??

Once you tap it, it'll tell you the amount left. Once it gets low (like under $10 which is the most expensive ticket) it'll warn you.

You can hook it up to your bank account, and once it goes under $10 it'll auto credit it again. Mine sticks on $30, and it lasts me about a week.

All the details are on the website (instead of my flakey memory).

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/TicketsandFares/SmartRider.aspx

Providing your SmartRider has a balance equal to or greater than a cash two-section fare you will be allowed to travel anywhere on the system for any distance. If the fare charged exceeds the balance on the card, a negative balance will be displayed. This is acceptable.

However, if your SmartRider goes into debit, you will not be able to use your SmartRider to undertake a new journey until you add value to your SmartRider card. Alternatively, you can purchase a cash ticket.

http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/TicketsandFares/SmartRider/SmartRiderFaresandRules.aspx

Archived