Surely this can't be right?

Peccavi

I had my packing done for my return to the UK. The packer missed a cupboard which I discovered afterward.

I decided to ship the goods separately. Two boxes-one medium (and I mean medium about 2'x1') and a small box 1'x1'. Even shipping was exorbitant, nearly $400, and a friend paid for it.

I have now heard from the receiving company here. These are the charges they have levied:

Terminal Handling Charge - £55

Import Docs - £75

Import Service Fee - £15

Currency Adjustment Factor - £10

Haulage to destination - £180

Customs - £100

Usage of Duty Deferment to pay VAT/Duty to Customs 1.5% or £35 of total Duty/VAT outlay (whichever is greater)

Tail-lift for Delivery (if required) £45

Timed Delivery (if required) £45

Once the goods have unpacked in the UK, we have 7 days free storage in the warehouse, after this storage is charged at a rate of £12.50 per wm per day (minimum of £30) so your soonest assistance would be most appreciated.

The value of those goods would be £100 max! (I had no idea about all this-the boxes were sent at the last minute-the day before I left Australia).

Those charges will be £470!! That is nearly half the cost of shipping my entire (but small amount) of household goods! It's out of the question. I cannot afford that, I have sent them an email suggesting that I will have to surrender those boxes.

It's turned into a nightmare. Is this normal? It's a fees and charges feeding frenzy! Should there be all these charges, and at this level?

Any advice would be appreciated. These boxes arrive on 16/1.

Pretty sure the answer is 'yes'.

Anything that goes through Australian Customs (or any other part of the Australian Government) incurs a sizeable fee.

Unlike the UK where everything is given away free to any swinging Dick that wants to turn up on our shores (but paid for by British taxpayers), Australia has this interesting notion that foreigners, immigrants or visitors should pay for the cost of their own interactions with Government.

I suspect may of the customs fees are relatively flat rate (seem to remember the customs search fee for 20ft sea-container was £300) so by shipping a small create you will probably have attracted disproportionately large costs.

Anything that goes through Australian Customs (or any other part of the Australian Government) incurs a sizeable fee.

Unlike the UK where everything is given away free to any swinging Dick that wants to turn up on our shores (but paid for by British taxpayers), Australia has this interesting notion that foreigners, immigrants or visitors should pay for the cost of their own interactions with Government.

I suspect may of the customs fees are relatively flat rate (seem to remember the customs search fee for 20ft sea-container was £300) so by shipping a small create you will probably have attracted disproportionately large costs.

But these ARE UK charges....

Total rip off...can you not send the bill to the main shippers who missed the goods in the first place...

I'm more than happy to stand corrected! but the use of the words "receiving company", "import" and "vat" sound like a number of these charges are imposed by the UK government, not the Australian.

Sorry I can't help on this one, Peccavi. Does sound a bit painful though :-S

They are UK charges. Perhaps I wasn't clear, God knows I was tired and stressed!

But these ARE UK charges....

Total rip off...can you not send the bill to the main shippers who missed the goods in the first place...

Proof. How do I prove that this stuff was left in my house and not added? Also delivery of household goods was end of November-I doubt they are liable now. I appreciate the suggestion fifi, but you can bet your boots they/their insurers will turn me down because I can't prove it was left.

I'm more than happy to stand corrected! but the use of the words "receiving company", "import" and "vat" sound like a number of these charges are imposed by the UK government, not the Australian.

Sorry I can't help on this one, Peccavi. Does sound a bit painful though :-S

You're right Cez-UK charges.

....................and early this morning (UK-Friday), they have sent me an email knocking £70 off the delivery cost with the statement "does this help?" !!!

It IS a ripoff-even close to a scam. Look at some of those costs...currency conversion 10 quid?!!

My dilemma now is twofold, I cannot and will not pay those charges, and have no choice but to surrender the boxes:

1) I need to approach some sort of watchdog, because:

2) I do not know what will happen if I refuse to accept the boxes?

It IS like being held to ransom. But I need to find out where I stand if I surrender the boxes.

Arrives on the 16/1.

One week free storage.

.......then £12.50 PER DAY??!! (Have I read that correctly?? It's copied/paste).

It's a nightmare.

They are UK charges. Perhaps I wasn't clear, God knows I was tired and stressed!

Proof. How do I prove that this stuff was left in my house and not added? Also delivery of household goods was end of November-I doubt they are liable now. I appreciate the suggestion fifi, but you can bet your boots they/their insurers will turn me down because I can't prove it was left.

You're right Cez-UK charges.

....................and early this morning (UK-Friday), they have sent me an email knocking £70 off the delivery cost with the statement "does this help?" !!!

It IS a ripoff-even close to a scam. Look at some of those costs...currency conversion 10 quid?!!

My dilemma now is twofold, I cannot and will not pay those charges, and have no choice but to surrender the boxes:

1) I need to approach some sort of watchdog, because:

2) I do not know what will happen if I refuse to accept the boxes?

It IS like being held to ransom. But I need to find out where I stand if I surrender the boxes.

Arrives on the 16/1.

One week free storage.

.......then £12.50 PER DAY??!! (Have I read that correctly?? It's copied/paste).

It's a nightmare.

I've heard of this before. One of my friends forgot a box and her Mum thought she'd be kind and send it on. The contents were all clothing, not worth that much - the fees were about what you've quoted. She told Customs she wouldn't accept the box, they treated it as abandoned and she didn't have to pay anything. But why not just ask them the question?

You can ask them direct what the process is if you refuse to accept them. They will have policy in place I am sure.

Fwiw, shipping boxes can be quite expensive. Most people use this option if only shipping a small amount. I am surprised at all the extra costs. We shipped boxes the other way and the company we used was very transparent upfront re fees etc at both ends before we signed.

Thanks for advice and comments!

I would like to update this. Though this is 'settled' (we are at a final stage which should be fixed on Monday...).

I have reached a 'Without Prejudice' agreement with Velta International.

(I name the freight management company on the grounds that we all discuss/name shipping/freight management companies in an endeavour to get the best deals....as long as we are not defamatory).

The terms of that agreement are something I cannot discuss, but suffice it to say that charges were reduced. Very considerably..as a 'goodwill gesture'...

However, this issue in general terms is one I am pursuing with the Office of Fair Trading. It is a critical issue.

I have to admit I walked straight into this. I didn't know. I was under pressure; shipment of these two boxes only occurred the day before departure. In my view this has all the elements of 'lamb to slaughter'.

I'll revert to dollars: the contents of those boxes were no more than $150, all costs to get them to my door would have been close ballpark: $1200!! Sending receiving. I'm serious. ($380 to send. £470 receive) - work it out.

Unless you send unaccompanied boxes through a small load reputable company, never NEVER do what I did.

The worry this caused exacerbated my health problems. It was only legal knowledge + Velta acknowledging health problems (and possible liability) that has resolved (not quite there....) this.

Both send/receive companies knew about these charges.

Neither advised verbally or in documents about them.

Whether you are rushed as I was or not; you sign to 'accept all charges incurred in the delivery of goods' (not verbatim, but it is bog standard).

What you have just signed is effectively, a blank cheque!

That's the issue. The Australian company contacted me: they had been advised by the UK company that I was refusing to accept the goods. They told me (and thoughtfully provided my signed form) that 'I had signed to pay all costs', that 'under no circumstances would they reduce their costs'.

I sent them a blistering response. (Be very careful what you put in writing, but stand up to this).

I referred to it as a 'feeding frenzy of fees and charges'.

I referred to it as 'legal extortion'.

I drew their attention to the fact that I had said 'legal'.

That was a week ago. I doubt I'll hear from them again.

But it IS immoral and unethical.

It turns out that there are three companies involved in this process (at last count!). Senders/shippers/receivers: all 'take their cut'. That's why these charges are so high. But if these charges are ethically valid, why are they so open to barter?

I have seen other posts on expat sites. All have managed to reduce charges if they challenged them. If they are legal and set,-why are they able to?

My shipping company for the household goods like others gave a quote for overall costs (some shippers have tried to raise costs-but not the ethical companies). Quote is accepted/you pay/ and that is it-unless there is a Customs charge for some of your goods. (Mine got through).

That's it. The company is paid-the agreement reached.

Not with this:

First payment is send........and there you sign that blank cheque to pay all subsequent charges. Where is the incentive to keep costs at a reasonable level? There is none! It IS effectively a blank cheque scenario.

And it needs investigating.

I appreciate that I've rambled on, but this issue needs airing. An entire (albeit small) load of household goods threw up no problems (other than breakages...none discovered yet!). Because it was an agreed prepayment.

Two small boxes have caused endless worry. Because the owner has signed to meet costs-without even knowing what they will be! It is a charging smorgasbord for those involved because acceptance of those costs is on a signed form!!

My GENERAL comment is that this is a rort. An absolute rort.

If you import personal possessions to Australia there s an exemption from many charges, import duties and GST. I am sure there is something similar in the UK. If you did not complete the relevant paperwork then the company has to do all of the paperwork. I sent 2 removal boxes from the UK to Oz, door to door for £100

If you import personal possessions to Australia there s an exemption from many charges, import duties and GST. I am sure there is something similar in the UK. If you did not complete the relevant paperwork then the company has to do all of the paperwork. I sent 2 removal boxes from the UK to Oz, door to door for £100

Lucky you.

I completed the relevant paperwork (as I did with the household goods).

This was from Australia to the UK.

Sounds like you are being ripped off then

Yes, and I'm one of many. What they don't really want is people to do is 'compare notes' about this. They are getting away with it because each time it is one hapless individual up against them.

It's a bit of a loophole. It needs to be regulated far more.

Archived