Swimming clubs north Brisbane

shiveringpom

Trying to compare swimming clubs.....

albany creek vs aspley vs everton park sharks .....

looking for club but unsure at what level they take kids .....

my kids are 6 and 8 and members of Tynemouth asc .

Do 2 sessions a week incl time trials but obv still a lot of strike technique teaching going on .

Our club start with non swimmers and have a structure to feed them up and into the squads .

Is this how they work in oz?

Anyone in a club or who can advice ?

Ta x

A lot of kids start at school with swim lessons. Most kids can swim quite young in Aus, there is just so much water around and people with pools it's unsafe not to be able to swim. My kids have both been in swim squads and involved in surf lifesaving. North Brisbane is a bit too far to be involved with surf lifesaving but I would recommend that as well as swimming. My kids loved it and still have lasting friendships and involvement with the surf club.

All the squads have been good here. You should find they cater for varying degrees of ability and let the kids go as far as they want to take it. If they are really good and want to compete and get better they will recommend other squads that can take them further. A lot have a fixed charge and you can do as many sessions a week as you want. Works out pretty cheap if your kids fancy a session a day or something.

You might have a choice of early morning, usually 5:30am ish or after school. Just about every pool over here has some sort of squad training and then there are the "State swim" schools that have nothing but squads. No public swimming. Expensive I thought, but good coaching. Bit of a pain if you swim yourself though while the kids have a lesson, you can't get in at state swim and have to hang around in a hot, steamy pool and watch.

Have to say I could never understand the parents who took their kids along and just sat playing on their mobiles or reading or chatting. May as well use the time too to try and get fit. Shows the kids a bit of enthusiasm too and they will be less likely to pack in when the going gets a bit tough, which it usually does in squad swimming.