189 or 190?

dls

Hi Everybody!

I'm new to all of this, so please be gentle.....

I've been looking through past posts and there seems to be lots of really helpful info out there.

I'm getting confused:

Could someone explain the difference between a 189 and a 190 visa.

From what I can tell, the 189 is state independent, the 190 is state sponsered. Is this correct?

If so, does that mean under a 189 you can live anywhere in Australia, whilst the 190 you have to live in a specific state for 2 years (so long as my occupation is on the list)

Thanks

I think you are pretty clued up!!

189 gives you the freedom to choose where you live.

Benefit of 190 state sponsored is that you get 5 points extra.

Not entirely sure on timescales but think 190 may be slighter quicker, but saying that our application has been relatively short.

189 is independent but occupation needs to be on SOL and you need to be invited, higher points more chance of invitation, you can live any where in Australia.

190 is state nominated - occupation needs to be on csol and state occupation list. Once nominated you will receive invitation. You have moral obligation to live and work in the sponsoring state. State nomination also gives 5 points.

As above, I was advised (on this forum) to apply for the 189 visa if I had enough points. I was able to submit an EOI with 70 points so didn't need the state sponsorship.

I personally would have wanted to meet the 'moral' obligation of living in the state of sponsorship and so didn't want that restriction. I know others on here have got their way in to OZ via the 190 but move around anyway.