What els do I need first WHV?

jwe94

Little bit of a background I'm 19 from the UK and going on my own. Ok I have the visa on my passport going to print the visa off online too as back up. Flight is booked. Staying with family in Melbourne to start off. Going to open bank and get a TFN over there. Or should I open the bank online before I go? Also I was just wondering what els would I need any other papers I would need? Could some try comment as much as they can of papers and other things they took or are taking. Thanks Jack.

You can set up your bank before you go. NAB let you do it and it's free, and they arrange a meeting when you arrive to get your card and other stuff. I had no problems with them (other banks are available)

You've got flights, somewhere to stay, visa. That's about all you need, apart from a fair bit of money to start you off. Don't think you need any other papers. I didn't. Take a copy of your passport and driving license just incase something happens to them. And maybe try and get your CV sorted so you can hit the ground running as soon as you land. Get a sim card for your phone as soon as you land too, so you can stick it on the CV as well as the address you are staying at, will probably look better with a real address than a hostel address.

That's about all I can think of. Paperwise you're pretty sorted.

Thanks for looking at this. Ye I have got all the above my cv basically done just need to get my references. I'm going to do the bank b4 I go. Just wondering how much money did you take with you? I was thinking £2800 which turns into around 5150 Australian dollars. Then leaving few grand back here. You rekon this will be enough money as I will be looking for work as soon as I get there or get a job online.Also I'll be living with family for few weeks so that will save me dollar.

Ye was thinking of going to a hostel few weeks after landing. How much money did you lot take with you?

I took about 4000quid I think. You burn through it at no end when you're not working. So best bet for you would be try and find a job when you're staying with relatives then move into a hostel, you'll make tonnes of friends. I was a little nervous going on my own, but I made heaps of friends, ones even visited me back in europe and we're gonna have a little reunion in finland in about 7 weeks! Just enjoy it! Nerves are to be expected!

I agree with staying in a backpackers and hanging out in backpacker bars, just for a bit to meet people.

I wish I sorted my CV before hand as finding somewhere with word to edit it etc is a pain so good tip there too, I knew I should, didn't get round to it, make sure you get round to everything! You want to do Or it become a hassle once here.

TFN is easy but do it online as soon as you arrive so you can get it sent to the family address. It's a pain registering for anything if you don't know where you'll be!

If you want to be mega organised - Scan your passport, drivers licence both parts and keep then in a folder in your emails with insurance dets and flight info. Worse case then everything is easily accessible to print.

Bring a couple of padlocks for your bag and lockers in hostels and stuck the keys on a lanyard so you don't lose them easily.

Get your phone unlocked or be prepared to buy one here, you can get something for under $100 but an iPhone is going to be $750+

if you get a 3 SIM card I think mins and texts from Aus to UK are included so a payg one of them may be worth it for a week or so while you sort one here. Also, norwich and Peterborough current accounts allow free withdrawals abroad so you could open an account with them and use that rather than transferring money over.

If you need and meds get them sorted with plenty of time and if you still get free dental May as well have a check up before you go and hav to pay for it.

Bring some shoes, some bars have crap dress codes (or just don't go to those places ;)). And yep, being a decent hoodie or jacket.

There are 100 + 1 things you can do but you can also do absolutely nothing and with a passport an some case you'll be absolutely fine!!

(we spent approx average $60 a day, just on day to day bits but that was $40 on a hostel so you will be fine as long as you don't go stupid. Drinking can be pricy!)

One thing I'd say too is don't bring too much stuff! I brought about 4 or 5 jumpers that I never used! one or 2 is enough, same with t-shirts and stuff, do your laundry once a week and 7 t-shirts will be enough and maybe a fancy shirt or 2 if you fancy going out. You'll spend most of your time when you're travelling in shorts and flipflops.

And you'll end up buying stuff out there too. I came back with maybe 10kg extra stuff that I didn't take out with me and ended up paying big time on the flight back! over 250quid for the luggage!

Ok thank you yes it is called 1263 found it online I the official oz gov website I think I might print it off. As it has space to put all employment down so that would help with tax to. Keep feeling like I'm forgetting something don't know what.

Archived