Hello

Alistair

Hi everyone,

I just found this forum and I'm interested in learning about what it takes to move to Oz; Looking forward to learning for the group.

As a little background: I was born in the UK but moved to US at age 8. Currently married with 3 kids, living in Colorado. My wife went to Uni in Australia and I've been to Australia twice, but not recently.

Looking at making a career transition/move down under in 2015/16.

Thanks

Alistair

Thanks. I took a quick look at the SOL and CSOL lists. I didn't find an exact fit, since I'm in a somewhat unique career field (satellite telecommunications). Still, I think I have the right skill set that should create some opportunities, even if I have to take a step back or so to make the move.

Hi Alistair and welcome to the forum. Check out the migration section of the forum, lots of helpful folk to help you.

There are some other folk from the US looking at moving to Oz who are on the forum.

Good luck on your journey, bet you wish you were in Oz now, with all the lovely winter weather we are having.

Whereabouts are you looking to move to in Australia?.

Cheers

Karen

Karen,

It's -3 C here now, though I think some places are colder than that. It's weird what temperatures you can get used to. I spent a year in northern Greenland, so 0 C AND sunny AND no wind was BBQ weather! :)

I'm not too particular about location, although somewhere near water with (green) trees and some sort of seasons would be nice. I'm okay with hot summers and cool winters, just not the same all year around. My wife and I have friends in Perth and Melbourne, so that would obviously be a plus for those two locations. Schools are important too (uni/ primary/secondary).

So maybe I am particular about location, after all! :)

Thanks

Alistair

Hi Alistair. Well, I can report the weather here is pretty different. It's cool today - mid to upper 20's. But forecast 40 for the weekend.

Back to the visa. I probably should have said. First you need to look at the lists. Then if you can identify a occupation you think you can apply under you need to check the skills assessment requirements - what is required is important as it may stipulate particular things and qualifications.

If you are in a occupation that isn't quiet a match then I would speak to a migration agent.

Alistair - two comments.

With those climate requirements, you'll be happiest in Melbourne rather than Perth. We have something approximating to a winter (though generally no snow or ice), and into the bargain good skiing country nearby if that's your thing and/or you need some snow/big mountains. If you really want weather, then Tassie is your location, but there is not too much of an economy there compared with Perth or Melbourne.

As far as whether you fit to a SOL/CSOL category, have a chat with a good migration agent. My category isn't one I would have easily identified from my own understanding of my job, but it is a good fit and got me here. You need someone who really knows SOL/CSOL to work through your skills with you and see where you might fit.

I think my wife would have some say on location and weather too. All other things being equal, Melbourne would be my choice, but other factors would take higher priority over weather.

I'll likely being needing to talk to an agent after I've had some time to understand the process.

thanks

Archived