Are we liked and welcome?

Guest tayella

Guest tayella

Please feel free to join me in the following debate that I know you will find very interesting,

Today I get a call from my friend Dan who lives in New Zealand. He has arrived back to the UK for a 3 week holiday as he is English . He tells me the Ozzys and Kiwis hate us English people migrating to their countries as we are quiet boastfull of how far the British pound goes compares to their Dollar. After travelling in both countries he agrees to this which I find sad. "I went to New Zealand with sweet F.A so why should other people come to our country with money and put the prices of property up?" Well sorry Dan my old son but thats life mate. My Wife and me work bloody hard and have done to get this migration underway. As for boastful well were working class people without a pot to p*ss in so that theory is out the window. We understand its not gonna be an easy ride for the first 6 months to a year but hey I dont even know my own neighbours now and weve lived here in Grays Essex for 2 years, What im saying is we are a quiet family who keep ourselves to ourselves but are very friendly indeed. We would really love your opinions to this.

Chris and Natalie

Guest daisydeeds

My family will be Australian when we get our visa. I know itll be hard to learn a new currency to begin with but I guess its how you think you will fit in. The fact that we are leaving the British way of life behind us means that we will become Australians not British Australians if you know what I mean. People have said to us that we will compare british pounds to aussie dollars - I dunno.. I guess its going to be a learning process to not convert money.

I think that the majority of the people on this list have sold their properties and cleared out their belongings of their old life here in Britain in order to start a new chapter in Oz so theres little point in analysing it any more than that.

I hope this post makes sense. ;-)

Daisydeeds

Daisydeeds.

Guest spray21

I agree with Daisydeeds - once all the paperwork is done, I'll consider myself Australian. It's natural to start off by converting everything in to pounds, but once you're earning aussie dollars you have to try and think in dollars or you'll run out of cash! I think all natives of any country are a bit resentful of large groups of newcomers - that doesn't mean that they'll be rude or unfriendly to a familly of Brits who move in nextdoor.

It certainly isn't something I worry about, so I sincerely hope I'm not in for a rude awakening! It would be interesting to see what other people think about this.

Have to agree, we're going because we want to live the Australian way of life. The Aussies, I've been corresponding with to try to set up work etc., have been brilliant, very generous in their time in answering questions etc. They haven't seemed resentful at all, but to be honest I would be if people were boasting how much money they had - the thing is that money won't last forever will it?? I think we have to make a big effort to just work in $$ rather than £'s as soon as we get there and not be asking "how much is that in English money".

Ali

We too feel that once we're down under we won't be brits with lots of money (we don't have that much to take anyway) but will consider ourselves Australian, we aim to get citizenship as soon as possible. We should be able to take enough money to support us for our first year but it's all going to be hard graft and lots of saving to set us up for life but that's part of the adventure. We want the Australian way of life too! We think those who are serious about emigrating are going because of the more relaxed lifestyle and the beautiful country, not to get rich!

We feel the UK is no longer a place we want to live in, we don't even want to start a family here - there is so much wrong with this country now. Granted oz will probably have it's downsides at times, we know there's no happy ever after and no where is perfect but it seems better than here.

8)

Guest tayella

Its not just about money as we aint got a lot. The point im trying to raise is just because we are Brits it dont mean we are all loaded like Branson. We want a slower way of life although we know we will have to work our plums off just like over here, we dont want to be labelled and yes your right come to Australia and be Aussies as we will be. We hope the Aussies will get to know us and know were not like that which throws out my mate Dans theory that were all out to get big houses not have to work too hard. Hey we only want the equivalent of a 3 bed house with no extra add-ons. Whats wrong with that? It does make you think when your told by a friend about it but were gonna do it anyway. Your feedback is more than welcome and feel this Topic will help to make a lot of Brits feel more at ease with this.

Chris and Nat

Guest Pesky Varmit

Our primary reason for moving to Oz is to secure a better future for our three children. We feel there are more opportunities in Australia. But most people need to take a step back realise that there is nothing wrong in wanting a big house and not having to work as hard, we've all worked hard to establish our careers and skills here, and to buy our own homes, so if we benefit from high house prices here it just offsets the times when we struggled to get on the property ladder and raise our children.

Guest tayella

Pesky you are the man for your comments. Here here and good luck to you my friend. Bloody right I have worked me nads off for 20 years and why cant I have an easier life?

Good luck in everything you do.

Chris and Nat

Guest choobs
Pesky you are the man for your comments. Here here and good luck to you my friend. Bloody right I have worked me nads off for 20 years and why cant I have an easier life?

Good luck in everything you do.

Chris and Nat

<disclaimer mode="hot potato and politically incorrect - not intended to be offensive">

I think what we're experiencing is the other side of the coin. In Britain, it can be kinda annoying sometimes when you come across a group of immigrants who don't really speak the language, don't join in with local events, keep in a tight group of their own culture and point-blank refuse to integrate. A lot of people will say "bah, these people taking our jobs and benefits and not bothering to adjust to our culture".

I guess the same kind of irritation will be felt by Australians when they come across groups of us Poms who only hang around with other Poms, constantly compare things to "back home" and so on. If you have a look at programmes like "A new life down under", quite a few people seem to do that. Also, we tend to be quite vocal in our malcontent :)

I don't think there's much dislike of Poms specifically, but I daresay there's dislike of people who grumble, compare Australia unfavourably with their native land, and think the world owes them a living irrespective of where they come from. It's a national pride thing.

Cheers

Choobs

Guest tayella

Nice one Choobs.

Your definately someone with clout and aint afraid to say it how it is.

In Essex the same thing happens, theres a Nigerian community, a Romanian community, Poilsh and so on. They dont and wont mix which is pretty sad really as you get the feeling of us and them. I certainly want to be an Aussie when I migrate so why cannt they be British? This is another strong debate and I know you all have your opinions. Good luck to ANYONE who wants to migrate for a better life, after all thats what we are doing and we want to mix with the Aussies and not just our fellow Poms.

Your opinions please.

Guest Pesky Varmit

Sorry to burst your bubble folks but ALL nationalities are typecast by others. Its a sad fact of life, it's up to each individual to prove this typecast wrong. Unfortunately people can often judge before they get to know you.

On a lighter note you English have it easy your just expected to whinge.....

Damn shame about us Irish, we are expected to get DRUNK............. :D

Guest tayella

You Scotts are sound by me after all you gave us The Proclaimers.

500 Miles is one of the all time classics.

Im not being sarcy I really mean it.

Big country as well, I was honoured to have seen them live twice so you Scotts are ok by me.

hmm, hard one to answer. Yes Australians are rude by British standards but that is their way. You will get a lot of stick being British and in particular English, you have to learn to grow a thick skin. Plus you'll get more respect if you give it back to them as well (like I do :D )

If this doesn't sound like you then sorry, but you're in for a shock, especially at Ashes time. I've never really heard the 'over here taking our jobs thing in Oz' but certainly have in NZ, it's much more provincial there and a very protective job market for locals.

I see a lot of people saying 'we want to be Aussies' and I don't think you have a true idea of what it is to be an Aussie. The population is very very cosmopolitan and colourful here. So if you're idea of being an Aussie is some 1950s notion of Anglos in the sun, then you need think again. It's better to think rather than being an Aussie you'll be more a citizen of the world, because that what it will feel like to live here, especially in Sydney.

In a nutshell, you must be tolerant, flexible, thick skinned and witty all that same time :wink:

I was told when I arrived 17yrs ago 'please don't say' "In England we do this, in England we do that," etc. Aussies really hate that. But on the other hand they will ask you about where you're from and they will ask you if you know their brother in the UK :lol:

Come as individuals, not nationalities and you'll get along fine. 8)

Guest Pesky Varmit

What about us Scots?

daisydeeds

Do you watch the Simpsons ?

Your supposed to have ginger hair, be fearless, and called Willie :D

Guest Nathan & Mandie

We are all emigrating because we want to improve our lives in some shape of form to what we have already whether its just the weather, education and future for our kids, property, work etc. We cannot deny that. We are all human and we all have to look out for number one at the end of the day. This country is rapidly getting worse for all of the above categories. Australians at least have the comfort knowing that Oz does not let in any old riff raff that will immediately arrive and drain their resources they know that the majority of entrants must meet their country's requirements and be beneficial to their economy. We just need to be sensitive and understanding to their feelings and prove ourselves to be honest, hardworking and friendly. I have a cousin who has been there a year and from their experience so far they cannot say enough about the reception and help Australians have given them. Far more than they could have ever anticipated.

Mandie x

Guest sparklypom

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement and I think if the Uk adopted this , things may be different. OH and I are looking to go to Oz because we want a completely new way of life.We must not compare everything with uk, e.g that the shops aren't like M&S or Tesco's, if people want that sort of thing then they should seriously think about why they want to go.

We have lived abroad before due to OH's job and have learn't to adapt wherever we are, it is hard but the quicker you intergrate with the society the easier it is and the better time you'll have. Most of all ,lets be positive, life is not a rehearsal and all of us on this site are on the way(some further along than others!)to taking those positive steps. :D

This country is rapidly getting worse for all of the above categories. Australians at least have the comfort knowing that Oz does not let in any old riff raff that will immediately arrive and drain their resources they know that the majority of entrants must meet their country's requirements and be beneficial to their economy.

That's very true and worth bearing in mind when you are next whinging about how long it takes to get in. If it was easy and quick with scant regard for checking we'd have the same problems here that you are leaving there 8)

Guest spray21

Ian - very true. Whenever I start getting cross with the whole process I pause and think "Hang on, I want to go to this fantastic country, and they are letting me... where's the problem?! Stop whinging!" And then I don't feel so bad about it any more! I sincerely hope that I will not be a whinging pom once I arrive - and if I am then fair play to anyone who has a go at me!

Guest stuckinblighty

I don't get this 'i want to be australian' thing :? .Just because you want to live in Australia you should'nt ,and can't, suddenly change you total identity.You are from another country/culture and should embrace where you have moved to but to say you want to be an aussie just aint gonna happen i'm afraid :roll:

Dont try to be something you're not, just mix and relax and it'll come to you in time.

Lee

Guest fatpom

Stuckinblighty is absolutely right - you will always be pommy bastards not Aussies - get used to the idea. You will be an immigrant - a foreigner for life. But don't worry it's not too bad.

Provided you've got the right attitude you shouldn't experience too many problems. A good sense of humour will go a long way. Aussies hate people who are "up themselves" so stay chilled & give as good as you get. You can make comparisons between the old & the new country but be very careful not to let it look like unnecessarily unfavourable criticism (imagine an immigrant in the UK criticising your country).

I often play on my englishness & parody it mercilessly - they usually take well jibes about their ancestry too.

You will have it easier than other foreigners in assimilating for obvious reasons but you will still very likely experience culture shock, this isn't the UK with good weather & a funny currency. I worked in Sydney with 12 other differing nationals for a while & some found it very hard sometimes. Some poms readily admit that they've never fully adjusted - they may be the more honest ones.

One final comment some aussies won't appreciate you saying that you've only come to Aus simply because you dislike the state of your own country. They understandably prefer people to come here for positive reasons not negative ones. Compare "I've only come here because the last place was so terrible" versus "I came here because I love the lifestyle & culture here - I wouldn't want to live anywhere else".

"How can you tell when the poms have arrived? The jet engines have stopped but the whining hasn't" :)

Guest daisydeeds

I dont have a "I want to be an Australian" thing. Im not going to try to hold onto my Scottish accent furiously. Im going to try and integrate. Australia has a very cosmopolitan outlook - it has lots of people living there from different continents. Australian is a mindset / a way of looking at life.

I dont intend mixing only with British folk - I intend mixing with everyone.

Daisydeeds.

Guest spray21

You know, I can't wait to be in a place where I could be a 'citizen of the world' - I already try to claim that I am European not English.

About becoming Australian - Whilst I will always have grown up in Britain I do think that it will be possible for me to get to a point where I consider myself Australian, for the follwing reasons: I am 25 now. Will be 26 and 2 days when I arrive in Oz, at 28 can apply for citizenship. Hypothetically. should I stay in Oz permanently, I could have children and a family there and still be there at age 60. By then, I would have lived more years in Oz than in UK, and have held citizenship and been part of my community there for over 30 years. Could I not then say that I was as much Australian as British? I know it won't happen overnight, but I hold out hope that it can happen eventually.

Archived