Immigration Minister Denied Gay Couples Partner Visa

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest littlesarah
Just shocking and really scarey stuff. I hope this is a misunderstanding as others have implied. feel happy and safe here, probably the best Iv'e felt in years, I really dont want to leave and am very worried about what will happen when In do, but after reading this my problem is a storm in a teacup in comparison.

I don't think it's wise to take anything much from one news article that presents one side of a story with scarcely any information about the circumstances. The Australian visa system is pretty transparent for all migrants, regardless of their sexuality.

I very much doubt that this is a case of discrimination; more likely it's too do with failure to meet the stated visa criteria.

His spokesman said in a statement that same-sex couples are assessed no differently from heterosexual couples regarding immigration matters.

Essentially true, but same sex couples do not as a rule have the advantage of a marriage certificate or offspring.

There is a common misconception that 12-months cohabitation is a criterion, it isn't, and in any case it is difficult to establish when applicants are in a country where the penalty for various homosexual conduct is death.

Essentially true, but same sex couples do not as a rule have the advantage of a marriage certificate or offspring.

There is a common misconception that 12-months cohabitation is a criterion, it isn't, and in any case it is difficult to establish when applicants are in a country where the penalty for various homosexual conduct is death.

The law regarding this is very straight forward - many pieces of info available including genuine assessment of the relationship http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm

"We have no idea what else we can do other than invite maybe the Immigration Minister into our bed and say, hey, this is two guys sleeping in the same bed.

"If you do not believe that, you know, we're in a relationship, then I just don't know."

I doubt if this is one of the criteria and I find it hard to believe a Brain Surgeon could come up with this quote! I would have thought someone with his qualifications would be more intelligent than that.

Archived