Fossils

Squarepants

Guest Guest16631
I found some ammonites and fossil mussel shells 10,000 years old

.......would be nice to see some of yours later...........!

Guest Guest16631
Get to sleep :tongue:

......:eek:.....:shocked:.....:swoon:......lol....!....goodnight......!

......goodnight Squarepants.......

......look forward to your pictures tomorrow......tink x

I would love to know of some great spots to forage for fossils on the east coast. Any recommendations?

Millie x

G'day mate, only place I know of around there is the Maryborough/Hervey Bay area. Might have to look in the road cuttings on the road from M to HB.

Might help, a geo map of the district, look for KM, the green, dotted portions (Maryborough formation).

The fossils are bivalve shells.

http://www.geoscience.gov.au/geoportal-geologicalmaps/download?map=125dpi/sg5606.jpg

There is a big quarry in the Maryborough area that has good fossils., Baddow Quarry, it has sea urchins

Cheers, Bobj.

All the geological maps and the accompanying interpretation guide are available through Qdex online (they are hard to find, but in there, I'll have to get the full url from my work computer). Any low-energy environemnt should contain them; think mudstone, siltstone etc, coarser sandstones generally won't, and granites are right out!

I routinely find them in drill core from the exploration sites, have got some immaculate ferns from Permian sediments - back then our ancestors were synapsid reptiles lounging around warming our sails in the sun. Cool thought that my great-great (x 1000000) grandparents might have chewed leaves from the same bush.

Archived