Currently on 457, looking for PR - how best to apply?

BadgerLady

Hia,

I've been reading through all the different immigration information, plus some of the threads on here, but it's all really rather baffling. I'm hoping someone with a little more experience will be able to cut through the fog and give me some advice!

I arrived in Australia on a 1-year WHV and then got sponsorship from my employer for a 457, granted in November (graduate level position).

About me:

- Single, childless

- 30 years old (turning 31 shortly)

- No criminal record or medical history

- 10 years experience working in web design / digital consultancy

- Living and working in Sydney

I'm happy enough with my job here and keen to stay in the country. My 457 allows me to keep going until 2017 but there are so many advantages to having residency that I'm impatient to apply. (I'd like to get a local mortgage, perhaps start my own business as I used to do in Europe, and eventually sponsor my father to move down for his retirement.)

What's the best route? Should I apply directly for a PR now, wait until I've been in the same job for two years..? Or could I switch onto a visa with more flexibility in the meantime?

Hi there - if you are sponsored under an occupation in which you hold sufficient experience and qualifications, and a willing employer, you can apply for the 186 visa - direct stream providing you gain a positive skills assessment. You wouldn't have to wait 2 years this way. You would need a medical assessment (about $400), police checks from here and the UK, and the application itself costs about $3500. Current processing times seem to be 3-6 months but obviously vary on individual circumstances. Alternatively you can apply for an independent visa if your occupation is on the SOL (I'm thinking it wouldn't be a skill in demand though), or state sponsorship if its on a state migration list (again, probably not). I would ask your employer to nominate you for the 186 sooner rather than later, they can only say no!

Currently your only option to getting PR with living in sydney would be employer sponsored 186 visa, you will need willing employer, positive skills assessment and 3 years work experience.

You could look at the 190 visa but you will require state nominationas your occupation is on CSOL, but you will need to look at other states to see if they are sponsoring youroccupation as NSW have closed nominations until 1 July. Living in a different state to the one that you are applying for nomination from can be difficult as states request extra criteria to be fulfilled for people already in Australia.

There is no visa you can switch to you need to apply and be granted a visa.

As for working for for 2 years on 457 - this will only make you exempt from skills assessment for 186 - but employer still requires to be willing to sponsor for PR.

Archived