Change ANZSCO code for ACS skills assessment

thomasvo

Hi guys,

I currently have an ACS Skills assessment ongoing for "systems administrator".

My plan was to get a visa through NSW with sponsorship but they have stopped sponsoring people for now and since I'm not sure if I can wait until july (if systems administrator would be on the NSW list again anyway) I am considering getting a new skills assessment done for "Systems Engineer" (263111). I know I have to wait until my first assessment is done before I can apply for this one.

Can any of you tell me if I have a chance of getting a positive assessment back?

This is the job description of the job that I did:

- Installing, configuring, updating and maintaining server software/hardware

- Developing scripts for deployment of configurations

- helpdesk for customers

- draft and maintain internal documentation

- manage databases for accounting

- manage and monitor LAN network services

- high level problem troubleshooting

- replacing failed hardware

- install database and applications for customers

- server monitoring for customers as preventive maintenace

- monitor daily backup

I have a bachelor degree in IT and had courses like network technology, computer architecture

what do you guys reckon?

Thanks

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz

For the other occupation you are planning on doing an assessment for; these are the relevant skills and experience your current role would have to satisfy..http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Product+Lookup/1220.0~First+Edition,+Revision+1~Chapter~UNIT+GROUP+2631+Computer+Network+Professionals

May I ask, are you not willing to consider using the "Systems Administrator" role to get sponsorship somewhere else? Feel free to respond via the (private message) option.

I think only South Australia sponsors System administrators but only if they have an Australian degree. Thats how it was a year ago anyway, maybe it has changed. I'm only interested in moving to QLD or NSW. QLD doesnt sponsor them and NSW doesnt sponsor anymore people until the new financial year.

As for Rupert's answer: I am not looking to get experience to count for visa points. I only have 4 years of experience and ACS deducts at least 2 years of that. I just need the skills assessment to be positive, saying that I'm qualified to be a system engineer. I wont be able to claim experience points anyway.

I'm in the same boat as you thomasvo..

Applied to have my skills assessed for the System Administrator by ACS on 22nd of November with the plan to apply for State Sponsorship through NSW..

Nightmare positition now.. the main problem is the System Administrator isn't on the wider national SOL list so even with a positive assessment we cant go the 189 route..

I have a pretty general background so could probably do a number of roles around IT administration/engineering.. The problem is I dont know how it would go down with ACS if I submitted a 2nd assessment with an adjusted/tailored CV against a new ANZSCO job..

As per yourself, I've checked the other states, the System Administrator role is listed on a few but there's a lot of conditions such as living in the state for 3 months prior to the EOI etc.. SA as you said needs SA Education.

The main options I can think of are:

1. Submit a new ACS assessment against a new role either on a states CSOL list to go the 190 route or be assessed against a nation wide role on the SOL list and go the 189 route

2. Find a sponsoring employer visa 457/186. With regards to the 186 visa, the NSW CSOL list is used so as long as we have a positive assessment, meet the points and find an employer willing to sponsor we should be able to get the 186 visa.

3. Wait until July 1st...

One question I have about July 1st.. Am I right in thinking I can lodge my EOI any time I want? then when the NSW SS application page re-opens on July the 1st I can jump on at 00:01 to get my SS application lodged?

Feel really down about NSW SS closing.. I'm in Sydney now on a WHV, in a good System Admin role, found a girl etc.. guess I knew all of this when I came here but still doesn't take away from the possibility of months of delay to my plan :(

• 1 year later...

Hi thomasvo,

I am in the same situation now.. could you pls share ur experience .. After positive assessment from ACS for system administrator, now can i apply for computer networks and system engineer ?? completed my Bsc computer science with 6 yrs work experience . my ACS for system administrator will expire in next 15 days so can i apply for computer networks and system engineer?? I am not an engineering graduate. but i had computer networks syllabus in my degree.. and relevant work exp also.. my company is ready to provide detailed info for working in this field.. will that be sufficient? kindly reply at the earliest plsss..

• 11 months later...
Presumably you cannot be a systems administrator and a systems engineer at the same time. So would you use a different set of experience for the second assessment?

Hello Ryan,

I am stuck in same boat got ACS evaluated as Sys Admin with total 55 points now need SS for Australia visa, dont know what to do as none of the states look to be sponsoring System Adminintrator without job offer. After my ACS evaluation is done for Sys Admin can i immediately apply as System Analyst?

Hello Ryan,

I am stuck in same boat got ACS evaluated as Sys Admin with total 55 points now need SS for Australia visa, dont know what to do as none of the states look to be sponsoring System Adminintrator without job offer. After my ACS evaluation is done for Sys Admin can i immediately apply as System Analyst?

Your skills assessment must support the occupation code you are applying under. If you are going to apply as a Systems Analyst, you need a skills assessment for that occupation.

Your skills assessment must support the occupation code you are applying under. If you are going to apply as a Systems Analyst, you need a skills assessment for that occupation.

Hello Ryan,

I have got positive ACS as Sys Admin but would like to go for review application as System Engineer with new updated Reference (for all employment) and resume?, is it possible?

Can any one help me with the below job duties I have applied and received assessment as sys admin, can the below be used to change to occupation system engineer or analyst?

• Planning, developing and maintaining database design, data structures, tables and stored procedures for supported database
  • Developing, documenting and maintaining operational, configuration, and other procedures and policies for Application Device Services tools.
  • Developing of testing scripts, procedures and processes for testing database systems and upgrades for debugging, tracking, reproduction, logging and resolving all recognized problems.
  • Leading Application Device Services Level 3 escalated support team to support SQL Server Databases, web based applications, Standard Operating Environment delivery and Anti-Virus.
  • Conducting Daily Status review for on time delivery with SLA adherence for SQL Server Databases, web based applications, Standard Operating Environment Delivery and Anti-Virus.
  • Lead the team focusing on continuous improvement of products and offerings
  • Write Scripts and Program to reduce manual maintenance work and promote automation.
  • Guide Level 2 teams to fix complex Database issues, Software and SOE Deployment issues.

Developing and Maintaining Software as per required quality standards.

Archived