Where would you rather grow old: Australia or UK?

Guest spreadingwings

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think one needs to consider carefully where they will see out their days happy / happiest and most content. Set aside weather, cost of living, how far a bus stop is away etc etc as they are practical elements, not whats in your heart. As we accelerate for the ultimate take off, our happiness / contentment should run parrallel at the same speed, not slow down. For me UK, I know I would live the rest of my days lonely in Australia, and in a place where I dont belong. Im struck by how many people come to Australia and display awful symptoms of loneliness and a sense of displacement and isolation, and yet Ive rarely, or maybe not even at all, heard Aussies complain of loneliness or boredom in the UK. Just my observation. And I think this paints a compelling picture that says it all really and settles every argument/debate/ whatever you want to call it in every thread/post on this entire site, and why I believe I come from the greatest nation on Earth. Forget the *** for tat, it's a deeper story to consider .....refer to the above bold type.

For me, I imagine retiring in a little stone walled cottage in a quaint Devonshire / Cornish settlement, taking short walks down a hill into the village, with the noise of a tractor ploughing away, and sitting on a river bank with my life flashing before my eyes, my children happy and having flown the nest doing there own thing, and I just sit there, doing nothing, just being, with the warm sun on my face, with an overwhelming sense of happiness knowing I have managed to navigate myself full circle back to where it all started and knowing I am home.

For me, my plan and how I imagine my life to finish up supercedes ANYTHING that Australia could or would have to offer.

Guest Guest 47403

I don't think anyone in there right mind would want to spend there older years in the UK, it's not the cold because we don't get very cold weather, but the damp kills so many pensioners every year, and the short days are truly horrendous.

It's no surprise Australia has a higher life expectancy.

I don't think anyone in there right mind would want to spend there older years in the UK, it's not the cold because we don't get very cold weather, but the damp kills so many pensioners every year, and the short days are truly horrendous.

It's no surprise Australia has a higher life expectancy.

The life expectancy is hardly substantial. Being poor in both countries can though reduce years. Both seem to have a Health Service looking at a longer term with reduced means.

Guest Guest 47403
Indeed....I really miss the long spring and summer evenings in the UK ......unlike the short days we get all year round here

:laugh::laugh:

Did you not do your research!

Guest Guest 47403
The life expectancy is hardly substantial. Being poor in both countries can though reduce years. Both seem to have a Health Service looking at a longer term with reduced means.

But you agree the life expectancy is higher?

Guest Guest 47403
Australia, by miles. I am trying to convince my Mum and Dad to get over here for their old age. Don't think I'll be able to do it, which is a shame.

Unfortunately my MIL is already looking into visas..........even more unfortunate is she's loaded!

:laugh::laugh:

Did you not do your research!

Indeed.....but it was never going to be for ever.

Besides you actually have to live somewhere before you really know what it is like.....not just go on holiday:laugh:

A lot of people who have never lived here don't really understand that

I think one needs to consider carefully where they will see out their days happy / happiest and most content. Set aside weather, cost of living, how far a bus stop is away etc etc as they are practical elements, not whats in your heart. As we accelerate for the ultimate take off, our happiness / contentment should run parrallel at the same speed, not slow down. For me UK, I know I would live the rest of my days lonely in Australia, and in a place where I dont belong. Im struck by how many people come to Australia and display awful symptoms of loneliness and a sense of displacement and isolation, and yet Ive rarely, or maybe not even at all, heard Aussies complain of loneliness or boredom in the UK. Just my observation. And I think this paints a compelling picture that says it all really and settles every argument/debate/ whatever you want to call it in every thread/post on this entire site, and why I believe I come from the greatest nation on Earth. Forget the *** for tat, it's a deeper story to consider .....refer to the above bold type.

For me, I imagine retiring in a little stone walled cottage in a quaint Devonshire / Cornish settlement, taking short walks down a hill into the village, with the noise of a tractor ploughing away, and sitting on a river bank with my life flashing before my eyes, my children happy and having flown the nest doing there own thing, and I just sit there, doing nothing, just being, with the warm sun on my face, with an overwhelming sense of happiness knowing I have managed to navigate myself full circle back to where it all started and knowing I am home.

For me, my plan and how I imagine my life to finish up supercedes ANYTHING that Australia could or would have to offer.

Might be wrong about this but all Aussies I have ever met in the UK have been young.

Countless old people live and die in the UK isolated and alone or shunted off to a retirement or care home. Your dream ending seems pretty lonely too. If you took that walk you are more likely to be blown over in the gales than feeling any warm sun on your face.

Where ever you feel belonging to. Although the thought of being stuck in Australia unable to take a flight due to health reasons would be a severe disincentive.

It would be difficult to decide between the two options as pros and cons almost outweigh each other. I wouldn't have great faith in Australia's health system remaining affordable over a longer term. UK possibly more so. I would enjoy the UK for less need of a car. Far better walking possibilities and easier travel.

Australia for the warmth and swimming in the ocean. I think the expense though is a bit prohibitive.

I would be inclined to look towards other countries both in Europe and Asia but keep a base in Australia as well. If I had a base in UK would keep that as well.

Guest Guest 47403
Im struck by how many people come to Australia and display awful symptoms of loneliness and a sense of displacement and isolation, and yet Ive rarely, or maybe not even at all, heard Aussies complain of loneliness or boredom in the UK. Just my observation.

Very selective observation, every Brit moving to Oz get lonely, but not one single Australian (you've spoke too mind!) feels even the slightest bit isolated. Brilliant! :laugh:

Might be wrong about this but all Aussies I have ever met in the UK have been young.

Countless old people live and die in the UK isolated and alone or shunted off to a retirement or care home. Your dream ending seems pretty lonely too. If you took that walk you are more likely to be blown over in the gales than feeling any warm sun on your face.

I'd say not so different in either country. Plenty of young move away in OZ as well leaving the sole remaining partner alone. Nowhere is easy I expect getting old. At least in UK they are far more visible. Australia is a country of youth. Aged largely become invisible.

If you took that walk you are more likely to be blown over in the gales than feeling any warm sun on your face.

The weather here is one of the worst aspects. That 'warm sun' can be enough to take your skin off much of the time and the heat can make 'walking' quite an endeavour.......and don't underestimates the storms and gales we get here....much more extreme than in Britain

Guest Guest 47403
Indeed.....but it was never going to be for ever.

Besides you actually have to live somewhere before you really know what it is like.....not just go on holiday:laugh:

A lot of people who have never lived here don't really understand that

Get yourself back do what's best for you, don't worry about the kids and grand kids over rated I hear :laugh:

But you agree the life expectancy is higher?

Even higher in Iceland but hardly longer to make it an issue.(less than a year difference from memory) The quality of life in the final years more to the point. Germany has always stood out in my mind as a pretty decent country to age in. Great medical service. Many aged folk around and not too youth focused.

Get yourself back do what's best for you, don't worry about the kids and grand kids over rated I hear :laugh:

I will when I retire.....probably fairly soon.

Perhaps you think kids and grand kids are overrated but we don't all come from dysfunctional families.

Guest Guest 47403
Even higher in Iceland but hardly longer to make it an issue.(less than a year difference from memory) The quality of life in the final years more to the point. Germany has always stood out in my mind as a pretty decent country to age in. Great medical service. Many aged folk around and not too youth focused.

A years a year in my book FOC, tbh wouldn't care where it was spent as long as around family, you come across as a more mature person are your kids and family in Perth is that why you stay despite your obvious distaste for the place?

Very selective observation, every Brit moving to Oz get lonely, but not one single Australian (you've spoke too mind!) feels even the slightest bit isolated. Brilliant! :laugh:

While loneliness can inflict itself anywhere, I have certainly heard of and known a number of lonely folk in Australia and some in UK, I have met many Aussies who would agree the UK is more connected and easier to meet others.

While loneliness can inflict itself anywhere, I have certainly heard of and known a number of lonely folk in Australia and some in UK, I have met many Aussies who would agree the UK is more connected and easier to meet others.

LOL. You should work for Nielsen mate, whatever the subject, you've done a survey on it. Brilliant.

Guest Guest 47403
I will when I retire.....probably fairly soon.

Perhaps you think kids and grand kids are overrated but we don't all come from dysfunctional families.

Aren't your kids in OZ flattie thought that was all that was keeping in that god forsaken hole?

Not all of us are from dysfunctional families mine was but that why I intend to work so much harder at giving mine that better life be it in Oz or where ever we end up.

A years a year in my book FOC, tbh wouldn't care where it was spent as long as around family, you come across as a more mature person are your kids and family in Perth is that why you stay despite your obvious distaste for the place?

Even less than a year. Hardly more than a statistical blip. Don't have a particular distaste for Perth. Just attempt to correct the constant bigging up of the place. No I am movable but based in Perth for now. Which is fine for the present duration. Nothing would nail me to a place without a pretty sound reason.

Guest Guest 47403

Why doesn't it surprise me Australia comes out worse in your unofficial poll....................classic FOC :laugh:

If nothing your predictable.............

Aren't your kids in OZ flattie thought that was all that was keeping in that god forsaken hole?

I have a son on Australia and one in the UK....and grandchildren in both.

We came here because we agreed to live near our son for a few years.....we will then return to live near the other.

Tell us all about it when you have tried living here for a while.....it will give yo a lot more credibility.

....and it will be good to get back to some decent fishing where I can sit out without getting fried or bitten to death

I have a son on Australia and one in the UK....and grandchildren in both.

We came here because we agreed to live near our son for a few years.....we will then return to live near the other.

Tell us all about it when you have tried living here for a while.....it will give yo a lot more credibility.

....and it will be good to get back to some decent fishing where I can sit out without getting fried or bitten to death

Love it Flattie. A bit of an over exaggeration on your part...As usual.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Archived