Collaroy area

Captain Roberto

Hello

Me and the family (wife, 3 kids and dog) are looking to emigrate next year (sept/October) - and was recommended Collaroy/Dee Why/Narrabeen type area.

We want to be near the beach really, with a quieter, more chilled/family vibe - BUT - I also want to be able to commute to work by public transport and not spend more than 45 mins on each trip in/out of the city. It also needs to be affordable (we will be working as a senior nurse and graphic designer).

so the simple question is: does anyone know how long it takes to get in/out of the city?

Does anyone here have any ideas about this? any info would be much appreciated.

I currently commute 70-80 minutes each way to work here in the UK and if I am honest I don't really enjoy it - therefore cutting commute back is a big thing. if I could do it in 30 or 40 minutes that would be great. It's hard to get these things right - but I would like to try!

All of those areas tick the near the beach, family vibe type thing

None are cheap though - being near the beach is never cheap. Commuting is by bus into the city. I wouldn't do it personally, Military Rd is horrible, but many do and it works fine for them. Rupert is in the best place to answer as commutes from Collaroy by bus I believe

Somewhere in the equation of beach proximity, size/quality of property, commute time and price, there'll be a compromise. Where the compromise is made has to be a personal thing - eg personally I would love to be close to the beach, but the commuting puts me off.

For many people places on (or nearly on) the beach just comes with too high a price tag. They find they'd rather live inland a bit (say 15 minute drive away or something) and have a better house and/or pay less, and possibly a better commute too. Others feel differently

I don't really know what you mean by affordable as it means different things to different people and whilst I have an idea what a nurse earns, I am not sure about graphic designer. Anyway these places are not cheap. Of the three you mention, I reckon Collaroy is the most expensive, we live here and rent a three bed house for $1,300 per week. Dee Why is one suburb closer to the city, but it is not quite as smart as Collaroy so that is why I would pitch it ever so slightly cheaper. Narabeen is the next suburb moving away from the city and hence ever so slightly cheaper. But they are all pricey places as beach suburbs have the premium.

There is no way on earth you will get to the city in 30 minutes from these locations. If you live very close to the bus stop and leave the house very early (before 6.30am) you might make it into the city in 40 minutes in the morning. I have not found any way to get home in less than an hour.

I don't mind my commute as I am used to much longer and I do live and work near the bus stop so it is an easy journey at both ends. But if a short commute is a priority, then no, these suburbs are not for you.

Hi,

Take a look at www.131500.com.au to give you an idea of transport times for all modes of transport from/to anywhere in Sydney. Also look at www.realestate.com.au to see what's in your budget.

We used to live in Freshwater and it took me about an hour door to door on the bus (from my apartment into my office at Circular Quay) - sometimes I walked down to Manly and got (in those days) the jetcat which has now been replaced by the Fast Ferry.

You might find something in the Forestville area - it's still classed as the Northern Beaches, and it's not too far to get to Chatswood where you could get the train into the city.

We're moving back in January and we're hoping to rent anywhere south of Narrabeen and as far west as Forestville.

Another option for you might be Sutherlandshire, Cronolla area as although further by kms it is on the train line? Personally having lived in the Northern Beaches I would recommend it, and we're heading back there next month.

Good luck!

Just edited to say we're a family of four (our children are five and seven). Also Frenchs Forest / Davidson & Belrose nr Forestville are worth looking at.

As above, French's Forest, Davidson, Belrose, Forestville are all good family areas and a lot cheaper than living on the beaches, which are only a 10-15 minute drive away

Transport here is all buses too, unfortunately, but it's not far to Chatswood which is a major transport hub

I would also look south - there are areas around the George's River that are handy for beaches and transport (more trains down this way) which may also work. I know that side of the city much less well, however

I don't know what your budget is and/or the amount of money you might have to buy a place. Perhaps, you can afford to live in or near an Eastern Suburbs beach, like Bronte or Clovelly, or further south, at Maroubra, all of which would take about 30-45 mins by bus to the CBD.

Cronulla is probably about an hour away from the CBD, but at least you can go by train all the way.

I checked the bus times from Narrabeen to the CBD the other day and it seems to be about 55 minutes.

Have a look on www.domain.com.au for prices for home purchase or rentals in whichever area you fancy.

We, too, wanted to land in Northern Beaches when we moved, but rents were too dear, and only bus or car into the city, or bus and ferry, depending on where you are. Settled on St. Ives, which is slightly north and west, and were quite glad we did. There is a direct bus into city, about a 45-50 ride, or a bus ride into Gordon (one suburb west of St. Ives) and onto the train. Also, you might look at Roseville, Killara, Pymble, Turramurra, which are on the same train line. From these places, a 20-30 minute drive to the beaches depending on time of day, traffic, etc. We did it a gazillion times with no problem...

Archived